5.0 out of 5 stars Kings best short stories
Night Shift is Stephen King's first collection of short stories, and features 20 tales. Not every story is perfect, but all in all Night Shift is a fantastic anthology stuffed with great ideas. Stephen King has subsequently published 3 more short story collections (Skeleton Crew, Nightmares and Dreamscapes, and Everything's Eventual) but Night Shift remains the best of...
Published on 4 Mar 2005 by Jane Aland

2.0 out of 5 stars No
I didn't like it. I love Stephen King, but I didn't like this. This is the first time I haven't liked one of his books, so I was surprised, but there it is. I wouldn't recommend it. The stories weren't frightening, just creepy & not in a good way. It left a nasty taste in my mouth & I was relieved when I'd got to the end of it. You, however dear reader, may like it, so...
Published 25 days ago by TWU

4.0 out of 5 stars some stories, 15 Nov 2013
This review is from: Night Shift (Kindle Edition)
Not all Steven kings stories are based on supernatural powers ....some of them are based on powers and intricacies of human mind and those ones I particularly liked....because they sound possible ...I liked the stories with relatively good endings....king was an English teacher that's probably why he masters the words but sometimes I wonder if he were a biology teacher ...because of the vivid description of some physiological responses.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, 9 Nov 2013
This review is from: Night Shift (Kindle Edition)
I am not a fan of King but saying that do read a lot of his books (generally on holiday). Most of King's books, to me, suffer with bloat however where I think King excels is with his short stories and this is a good example of them, especially his Lovecraftian short story which was the best for me. A good anthology of stories worth a read

5.0 out of 5 stars Great collection, 11 Sep 2013
This review is from: Night Shift (Kindle Edition)
I've been thoroughly impressed with these short stories, they all have different aspects too them, which makes turning the next page such a joy, you'll never know what you will find. From boogeymen and inanimate objects coming to life, from psychological horror to in your face spooks and ghouls I don't think there was a sing story I didn't enjoy.

Some of King's best

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterly work, 26 Aug 2013
This review is from: Night Shift (Kindle Edition)
I seriously considered sleeping with the lights on a couple of times through reading this book, and ended up sticking firmly to reading in daylight only!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 18 July 2013
This review is from: Night Shift (Kindle Edition)
A great book of short stories some that will give you nightmares some creepy themes and easy to get into great twists in the tale

5.0 out of 5 stars pleasantly suprised, 14 May 2013
This review is from: Night Shift (Kindle Edition)
It's not very often I read horror fiction but this time I gave it a go and was pleasantly surprised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quitters, Inc', 17 Mar 2013
This review is from: Night Shift (Paperback)
Quitters, Inc' is one of my favorite stories. I'm glad I'm not a smoker...
The collection is really good. Stephen King rocks!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good collection of creepy tales, 22 Feb 2013
So, Night Shift.

This is the first collection of short stories that I have read from Mr King & I was not disappointed.

First things 1st.

The Bad: Night Surf, I Am The Doorway, I Know What You Need, The Last Rung On The Ladder & The Woman In The Room are all forgettable stories. Majority of these aren't really horror. Ive never been a fan of King's non horror stories. They do not grab me. None of these grabbed me by the jugular and ripped my throat from my body. They all seemed like filler.

The Ugly: Strawberry Spring & The Man who loved flowers are both stories that lure you into a false sense of security. Just when you think that both stories have been a pointless read, BANG! King hits you with that final twist in the screw, that makes you go "Oh, nasty", but other than the ending, none of these stories grabbed me.

Jerusalem's Lot was another huge let down. This story has it's moments, but I failed to see, why he named it after the town in the amazing! Salem's Lot. It is set over 100 years (Or so) before the events in Salem's Lot & is one of those stories that makes you go "What the hell was that all about". Where were the frickin Vampires. A very strange tale.

HAHAHA! Enough of the negative. Time for the good baabaay!

Quitters,Inc & The Ledge are both very dark stories, about people that are thrown into vicious situations by other human beings. Both stories are dark, violent & keep you going to the end. Mr King definitely shows you the sociopath within, with both these shorts.

Battleground is an action packed tale, of a Hitman's battle against some vicious toy soldiers, with revenge on their mind (I know, it sounds crazy in a 95 Judge Dredd movie kind of way), but this is good. Plus it has an ending that will put a smile on your face.

Trucks & The Mangler have the Marmite effect. People love em, or hate em. I really enjoyed both these stories, they were very violent, gory & King creates an atmosphere where no character is safe. People die horrible, horrible deaths in both these stories. Gore hounds will love em. (Well, Gore hounds or lunatics, you decide)

Sometimes They come back is a creepy tale, where 3 bullies return from the grave to enact revenge on a teacher, they failed to kill as boys. Very well written & King creates that constant state of dread, whilst you read this story.

The Lawnmower man is King at his weirdest & darkest. I don't want to spoil anything, but if you saw, in real life, what king writes about here. You would be sick out of both ends (Yes, you would have spewarria). A mental story, that will raise a few eyebrows.

Grey Matter is one of those one's where, you think its going to be garbage, but as the story progresses, it gets darker and more tense, as every word passes. The ending is fantastic & again, you will pray that this never happens to you, or someone you know.

Children Of The Corn isn't anything like the film (I hate you Courtney Gains. You suck & you ain't scary). Its another one of those "There's no hope in the world" kinda stories. Gory, but very tense as well. The things that the characters do, is probably what you would in real life (There are n o heroes in this story).

One For The Road is what Jerusalem's Lot should have been. I was a fanboy of this because I loved Salem's Lot so much. If you liked Salem's Lot, then this story is for you. Tense, terrifying & terrific. It is extremely fast paced and will make your heart feel like you've downed a packet of skittles with a can of redbull. A scary, gothic & darkly written tale.

Graveyard Shift was my 2nd favorite tale. It is kinda similar to James Herbert's The Rats (This was probably written 1st). Where man is put against our old friends the giant rat. I won't tell you who wins, but man does not fare well. This is another, King at his goriest best kinda story. Limbs are ripped off, people are eaten & dispatched in very gory ways. Lets just say that if you faced the rodents that these characters face. You'd probably have a very bad day. A very dark & sinister ending to a great short story.

& now for the daddy: THE BOOGEYMAN

I'm not gonna lie. This story scared the hell outta me. It must be a few weeks since I read this story & it still freaks me out when I go to bed at night. After reading this story, you will never look at your closet in the same way again. This is definitely 1 of King's creepiest stories. Up there with IT & Salem's Lot. I would urge anyone to read this story. It is fantastic. I'm not going to tell you what happens, but this story scared me from start to finish. If you read this & you don't get creeped out by it, then you have no soul.

Once again, a great read from Mr King. Great if your looking for a book to dive in & out of. If you love horror. Get this. It will not disappoint.

PS: Do not read this book, before going to bed. I did & I had some very weird dreams. You know the sort of dreams where you wake up sweating with a heroin addicts heart rate. I'm actually surprised I didn't wet the bed.

22/2/13

4.0 out of 5 stars Constant, 10 Feb 2013
This review is from: Night Shift (Kindle Edition)
As usual king delivers numerous stories from a vivid imagination that compel and most of all frighten!
Highly recommended for those who like to dance on the dark.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 12 Jan 2013
This review is from: Night Shift (Paperback)
I was looking for this film for a long time. Very good purchase. Matched perfectly my expectations. Arrived on time

Night Shift
Night Shift by Stephen King (Paperback - 7 Jun 2012)