5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreakingly beautiful
Through all its beautiful writing, Days of Blood and Starlight broke my heart into a million pieces, put it all together, and then broke it again. And I loved it.

Published on 8 Nov 2012 by Daphne (Winged Reviews)

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't love!
I so wanted to love this book!! Bought as a xmas present form my lovely hubby - I was delighted & started to read on xmas night.

By page 10 i was bored - cannot believe i am typing that, as Daughter of Smoke & Bone I have re-read about 10 times.

Published 24 months ago by Sammij

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreakingly beautiful, 8 Nov 2012

Where is Karou? After learning that Akiva was responsible for the genocide of the chimaera and the deaths of her family, Karou made her way through the tear into Eretz. Her friend Zuzanna send email after email of worry, and Akiva searches every place he knows to no avail. As the first book, it's best to go into it without knowing too much, but you can look forward to pee balloons, giant sandcastles, museum thievery, an actual blood bath and some grotesque smiles.

The tone is very different to the first book. While Daughter of Smoke and Bone was about magic, wonder and love, this book was about duty, graft, hatred and heartache. Still, everything I loved about the first book was still there, especially the way Taylor balances the epic story with beautiful little character-driven glimpses.

Wonderfully, it features a lot of Karou's feisty friend Zuzanna and her lovable boyfriend Mik (possibly the only functional relationship in the whole book) and Akiva's siblings Hazael and Liraz. Taylor also conjures up a whole host of other cool new characters (as a side note to the publishers, I would love to see Karou's notebook brought to life). A definitely standout for me was the wonderful Ziri, someone I'm sure you will fall in love with, because I certainly have.

There were so many twists to this story I did not see coming, distracted as I was by the beauty of the lyrical prose. I have never read a book which constantly made my heart ache with each tough decision and impossible circumstance the characters faced. Taylor's writing is truly evocative, and I was amazed by where she took the story in the end. It will be a tough year, waiting for Book 3.

This isn't a book you can read as a standalone, so if you haven't yet started Daughter of Smoke and Bone, I urge you to do so. For all those that are already fans of the first book, I can assure you this sequel won't let you down.

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't love!, 30 Dec 2012

DOSAB was an addictive read from page one - loved the characters - feel in love with the characters is far more accurate - however with this I felt was far too descriptive of the new worlds, far too many new characters and tbh - the storyline was quite dull.

I have reached page 230 and I have had to very reluctantly put down as its just not gripping me enough.

Am praying - book 3 will be better.

2.0 out of 5 stars Where did all the magic go??, 21 Jun 2013
David Paul Jebb "trainboydave" (Craigavon, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
After the world-changing events of Karou's discovery at the end of the first book, she finds herself back with the chimerae helping them rebuild their army. Akiva is also back with his brethern, the seraphim, but has lost his sense of purpose. Both are incomplete without the other, but battle on in their separate worlds trying to make sense of who they are and what they should be doing.

I would like to start by saying that I loved Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Laini Taylor created a world of myth and magic that intersected with our own with a cast of humans, monsters and angels that made us reevaluate our understanding of the terms 'humans', 'monsters' and 'angels'. Karou, as a girl with a foot in the mortal world and another in the world of the chimerae, was strong, funny and smart, all the while trying to find out about her past. Everything resonated satisfyingly and made me look forward to the next installment with bated breath.

And I was so disappointed.

We catch up with Karou and Akiva and, yes, we understand their individual plights and Taylor is very adept at making us feel for them. My sympathy for the protagonists, however, is not the issue here, but the impetus of the narrative. It just felt like everything ground to a stop. With each chapter I wanted something to happen to move things along, to introduce some sort of drama, but this never happened. There was a shimmer of hope when Karou's best friend appeared in the chimerae camp in the mortal world, but this was all too quickly resolved.

So, I did something I rarely do. Something I hate doing.

I stopped reading.

I would certainly recommend the first book in this series. It is different, magical, wonderful and I feel almost guilty that I didn't find that same wonder in this installment.

2.0 out of 5 stars she "jumped the shark", 16 Sep 2014
Mrs. Rebecca L. Lane (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Days of Blood and Starlight (Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy) (Paperback)
Like most of the readers of lainis first book, Daughter of Smoke and Bone., I looked forward eagerly to this second book. I had actually picked up the first one by mistake. Its not my usual sort of reading, but by the first chapter, it had me hooked. Not the case with Days of Blood and Starlight. This time, I find myself reading endless pages of characters, each more sketchily drawn and less beleivable than the last, and to be honest, I couldn't care less about any of them. This story has gone the way of other promising sequels. Short on story, plot, and good characters, I think the same thing happened with Game of Thrones, and even Harry Potter, and sadly, im giving it up, and won't be buying a third. If this were a tv series, I beleive the expression is "jumping the shark"

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly poetic, sad and dark..., 21 Nov 2012
Well, the second volume in this trilogy is over.... My head is filled with images and painful emotions of these wonderfully dark, broken ,but still hopeful characters... "Sometimes hope is the real magic",-the Resurrectionist said once upon a time... Hope is the only thing left for them at the moment, even though they do not always recognize it. This hope goes for me as well, making me believe that it will not be too long before the last volume is released.

The best love,pain,longing and resurrection story that i have read so far.

Would more than recommend it...

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting, 12 April 2014
The first book of this trilogy really did pique my interest - I'm probably not in the intended age group for this book, but I enjoyed reading part one immensely and bought this immediately after I'd finished. Sadly I was a bit disappointed by this, The picture of the world painted was amazing, although here I just couldn't understand motivations and the plot felt thin. Characters seemed to be behaving petulantly in a way that didn't fit the narrative and I just couldn't get into it.

2.0 out of 5 stars From the Sublime to the Depressing, 16 Jan 2014
The first in this series was the best book I read last year. I loved it for the magical whimsy, the exquisite narrative, for being taken to Prague and living through the writer's eye in that beautiful city, most of all for the cleverness of the magical dovetailed stories that eventually weave together to reveal a tapestry of wonder and romance.

And then I read part two and discover I am mainly going to be taken through a war, and the beautiful description is now going to predominantly be about pain, degradation, self-torture, separation and death. The beautiful setting has been changed to a dusty barren landscape, and an empty castle barracks with a death pit at the centre. And it's relentless: page after page. Despite being well-written, there is no romance or whimsy or beauty. It becomes a violent fantasy novel beset with descriptions of murder and on one occasion rape - what the hell is rape doing in a young adult fantasy novel?For that matter what is masochism doing in it? The whole "pain tithe" thing was never really explained - why this is the necessary payment from magic? It just seemed to be there for the sake of it.

I can see that the author wanted to idea to "grow up", and maybe thought that she needed to make the excellent story to tread more serious ground, and become more weighty, but to me it was like reading a lead balloon after taking flight through the first novel. And it's just far far too long; it goes over the same ground of war and retribution and Karou's hatred for Thiago over and over again. Then there is this detour to the fates of some escaped chimaera that seems to trail off to no-where, and is just more depressing stuff about a sick, injured creature. I love horror fiction and read all kinds of fiction, but I am simply not coming to this book for this. I did get through it, but I kept putting it down not because I couldn't handle the violence and war, but because it was simply not what I wanted from it. I give it two stars for the quality of the writing and the good ending, but overall I was hugely disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sequel!, 15 Jan 2013
This was thoroughly enjoyable and a very good sequel as above. The series creates such a great world- believable yet different from the one we walk about in.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing second insallment, 14 Jan 2013
Everything I had hoped and more, the plot becomes richer, the characters are well developed, it is very beautifully written and I absolutely cannot wait for book number 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Days of Blood and Starlight, 14 Jan 2013
I loved every minute of this book. Brilliant characters and story. Can't wait to read the 3rd in the series.

Days of Blood and Starlight (Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy)