4.0 out of 5 stars Mons Kallentoft keeps up the good work
Quite addictive despite some of the literary techniques used by Kallentoft which some dislike but which I think soften the horror a little, which is welcome! Have now read all in the series and they didn't disappoint.
Published 13 months ago by Natasha

3.0 out of 5 stars Mons Kallentoft Autumn Killing
Published 21 months ago by MYRNA HACKNEY

3.0 out of 5 stars Mons Kallentoft Autumn Killing, 7 Oct 2012
This review is from: Autumn Killing (Malin Fors) (Paperback)
Autumn Killing is the third in the Malin Fors quartet that I have purchased from Amazon. I must say that the first 40 pages were the most depressing I think that I have ever read in my 81 years. I persevered and the usual brilliance of the author and his detective Malin Fors began to come through. It was difficult for her however as Kallentoft has been overwhelmed (in my opinion of course)by his most irritating habit - voices off. The corpse speaks, the killer speaks, Malin speaks, three plus others, each all the way throughout the book, interrupting the text in italics. They identify themselves at first but not later on and the voices off merge and I did not know where I was.

So I see what Kallentoft was doing and why he was doing it, but if you pick up a crime book you want to read a crime book and not a lot of psychobabble. He is too good for all that rubbish. Leave it to those who have degrees in it and give readers straight forward Swedish crime I say!
I have pre-ordered the fourth not yet available book in the quartet from Amazon and shall read it I know, but sincerely hope it has no voices off.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mons Kallentoft keeps up the good work, 24 May 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent continuation in the Malin Fors series, 2 Oct 2012
Mikey (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Autumn Killing (Malin Fors) (Paperback)
A billionaire is found dead outside his castle just outside Linköping and Malin Fors and the team of characters from Linköping police investigate.
Like his earlier two novels, Midwinter Sacrifice and Summertime Death, Mons Kallentoft's Autumn Killing is rich with character development and detail, not only of the main detective Fors, but also of her colleagues too.
Malin is drinking too much and is not communicating well with her daughter Tove. Recently she agreed to move back in with Tove's father, fireman Janne but the arrangement does not seem to have been working to anyone's benefit.
Having just over 500 pages makes this a decent read and I certainly look forward to the next in the series.
If you're looking for a detective story with absolutely no character detail and 100% plot, then Autumn Killing will not be to your taste.
Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars More great Nordic Noir!, 14 Dec 2012
Margaret Telfer "MegT" (North Scotland) - See all my reviews
Being an Nordic Noir addict, a book would have to be VERY bad before getting a good score. This one was great.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: Autumn Killing (Malin Fors) (Paperback)
I had read the first three and enjoyed them and was not disappointed. There are some characters and themes that continue.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average which I found surprising, 18 Sep 2013
The weakest of this author I have read so far. Quite pedestrian and slow throughout. A vagueness of plotting left me struggling whereas I enjoyed the others more.

1.0 out of 5 stars lost the plot, 1 Nov 2012
This review is from: Autumn Killing (Malin Fors) (Paperback)
I enjoyed his first two books but ,in this one, what were minor irritations have become major faults . I now find Malin and her problems tiresome , her problems with alchohol, her relationships with her daughter , her husband , her lover, her mother and father etc etc. She has lost her edge and so has the story . I now find his use of italicised voices which seem to take up more room equally tiresome , especially the returning dialogic voice of first murdered man .But ,above all, I do not like the use of the continuous and monotonous present tense : it is so old hat . It is a pity Kallentoft is in the grip of style . The yarn beneath all his stylish clutter is good and I would have prefered a less unconventional technique .

4.0 out of 5 stars Pipe down, dead people!, 19 Mar 2013
This review is from: Autumn Killing (Malin Fors) (Paperback)
I read 'Midwinter Sacrifice' and liked it, but I skipped the second book, which was a mistake as there are some mega plot spoilers in this third volume. (I wish authors wouldn't do this - we don't all read their books in the intended sequence.) Overall I enjoyed 'Autumn Killing', but it does have flaws, most notably the 'thoughts' of the dead people which keep interrupting the action. It's not as if they have anything interesting to say, either. I also found the flashbacks confusing as it wasn't always easy to work out whose they were (and I'm still not sure who got chased by the lawnmower). There was also a bit too much harping on about 'autumn' - decaying leaves all over the place - as if the author was determined to underline his title. But having said all this I still think this is a good story, well told in the author's idiosyncratic style, and Malin's descent in alcoholism, although depressing, is horribly convincing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Autumn Killing, 12 Nov 2012
This review is from: Autumn Killing (Malin Fors) (Paperback)
I have now read all these books, and have to say they are well up with the best of Scandilit. Malin Fors is rather in the Harry Hole mould - professional but deeply flawed, all of which makes for good reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Midwinter Sacrifice, 9 Nov 2012
This review is from: Autumn Killing (Malin Fors) (Paperback)
Not your usual crime novel, the author having a somewhat unusual style. The main character's rather troubled life seems to be concentrated on more than the murder itself. But if you can get past that, it's a very good read.

Autumn Killing (Malin Fors)
Autumn Killing (Malin Fors) by Mons Kallentoft (Paperback - 27 Sep 2012)
6.30