Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 1 November 2006
Browsing through "1001 Books you must read before you die" - it was something of a surprise to find The Shining listed, when so much of Stephen King's work is dismissed by critics. But what a revelation the book is, and I'm glad I read it. This really is superior horror material, crafted to keep the pages turning. Over-shadowed by the film (which King himself didn't like) - the novel is a deeper, scarier experience, a fine example of the skill of wonderful storytelling. In a specially written introduction for this edition of The Shining, King reveals this was the book that took him in a different direction - where the characters are all the more scary because their demons are real as well as imagined. Compelling.
11 comment|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 October 2013
I first read this book as a young lad many years ago, but not so many that I didn't remember the fear it brought to me. Time is a funny thing because this time round it scared me for a whole different bunch of reasons. It's a weird thing to read the same thing twice with a gap of 20ish years and get two completly different stories out of it.
I won't go into details for those of you who are finding this book for the first because this is a simple story told by a young man who was possibly going through some of the very things depicted, we write what we know after all!
Give it a go as I personally think this is one of Kings classics. The characters are painfully real at times and as you take the ride with them there are more than a few very uncomfortable moments.
The maturity of Kings latest works isn't here, there is the raw power of a man struggling to make ends meet, and be a better person. There is the attempt at shock and awe.
And 99% of the time it works perfectly.
A must for all dedicated King addicts and those dwindling amongst the population who are only coming to King now!
on 30 October 2013
A freight train of a story it starts with the rails vibrating and a hum, the occasional blast of the horn to make you jump. You know it's coming but you can't be dragged away from the inevitable. The thundering, crashing crescendo as it rolls over you. Then the slightly sad, empty feeling as it rolls away, just a memory....but wait. I hear another train a-coming. Dr Sleep is on it's way. I revel in the challenge of a Stephen King novel trying to guess the twist and turn of the plot ahead of time. Not for the squeamish or delicate soul but always, always gripping.
on 24 July 2013
I think this is one of the best King books and always worth a re-read. The film - while it was a 'better' Stephen King film - didn't do the book justice. I don't think they ever do, to be honest. Just bought it for my Kindle and looking forward to it so if you like a cracking story, read this .....
on 28 November 2013
The book is far better that the excellent film. The plot builds slowly and the personalities are well drawn. Kings deftly plots the gradual descent into madness of Jack and unlike the film he does realise he is going mad. The hedge animals that come to life and the creepy play ground add an extra dimension to the book that are not in the film. The ending if better in the book than the film.
on 4 December 2013
I downloaded this onto my Kindle because I know that I have Doctor Sleep in my Christmas stocking this year and I wanted to refresh my memory with the "prequel". The film was excellent but it just doesn't match up to the written word. This was one of the first Stephen King books I read as a teenager (early 40s now), along with Pet Sematary and Salem's Lot and it scared the beejeezus out of me. I've not finished this book yet (this time around) but I cannot describe the mixture of a wonderful sense of nostalgia combined with that discomfort that Mr King has the ability to impart. This is Stephen King at his disturbing best!
on 19 May 2014
Being a long term Stephen King fan, I went in expecting this to be the best book of his I would've read. I was wrong; it takes a long time to pick up (it's over halfway through before things truly get underway) but although the payoff is worth the wait, it's still far from his best. I wouldn't say it deserves a lot of the recognition it's been given, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a good read.
on 27 August 2014
After watching the film The Shining many years ago, I read the sequel Doctor Sleep first, absolutely loved theory so much I almost wished I hadn't read it so I could read it again for the first time, so read the prequel The Shining, what an amazing book, and so different to the film, much better than the film, to the point you feel sorry for Jack, so here's to hoping that there will be a third in the series, but not such a long wait!!!!
on 3 August 2013
Great story which I am re-reading before its sequel comes out soon.

The film was of course a huge success and has attained cult status thanks to Jack Nicholson but the actual story stands on its own. Great pace and plot. Hints at more.
on 15 October 2013
Have bought the follow up book(Doctor Sleep)so wanted to re-acquaint myself with the background to it. The Shining is still a great read. Personally I prefer it to the film version as you can leave your imagination to run riot. Would recommend Doctor Sleep to anyone who liked The Shining.