5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Promising Start to a Series
Firstly, this book is written for younger readers. It is not written for adults. That being said, there is no reason why adults should not read and enjoy it. Kathy Reichs and Harlan Coben are also, similarly, creating series aimed at younger readers.

Published on 2 Jan. 2012 by Hazel Jessiman

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice bit of light reading
Published on 24 Jun. 2010 by Poohbear Mummy

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Promising Start to a Series, 2 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Theodore Boone: Theodore Boone 1 (Paperback)

Theodore Boone is the thirteen year old son of two lawyers. He spends much of his time in the courthouse and around lawyers. He is old for his years and very well versed in the law.

Without giving away too much of the plot, Theodore winds up involved in a trial. He is trying to keep promises and do what is right. Also, he attends school and helps out his fellow classmates with their everyday, adolescent problems - but by giving them legal advice.

The book does not have a twist or a surprise, rather, it is a straightforward, realistic tale that will help kids understand the law. It is extremely well written - simple yet sophisticated. Readers, providing they give it a chance, will find themselves drawn into the world of this intelligent young protagonist. He knows the difference between right and wrong. He tries to help others. He gets frustrated that grown-ups are in control of his life. Aside from his extraordinary preoccupation with the law, he is an ordinary teenage boy facing ordinary teenage problems but looking at them from a different perspective.

The only slight problem with the main character is that he is a little more like the teenager parents wish they were raising rather than the one they actually are. He borders a bit upon the too-good-to-be-true. This may make him, for now, a little difficult for others to identify with. But, characters leading ordinary lives and having ordinary hgoughts and ordinary problems would not be very interesting to read about. What makes Theodore stand out is that he is different. And he does, in the end, make a difference in the world of grown-ups. I'm positive that, given time, Grisham will develop his character throughout subsequent installments of the series.

The story is not packed with action. But do not look on this as a bad thing. He goes to school. He has a crush on a girl. He gets caught up in incidents that are outwith his control. This is how kids' lives are. Often books for teenagers are too full of action - designed like a 45min TV episode. This story provides a moral dilemma, invites readers to think about what they would do in a similar situation, and has a realistic conclusion. Lack of explosions and car chases are NOT a bad thing! It plods along at a nice pace. Much like life really is. It is not dull. It is simply a more dignified approach to storytelling.

Reviews indicate that the next book in the series is more exciting. Therefore, I look upon this one as an opening to a series. It introduces the character. It inroduces readers to the law as it really is, not how it is portrayed on TV. Finally, it is a story based on ethics and grown-up situations, as they apply to kids. And it has a good kid making a difference.

Give the series a chance. I thoroughly enjoyed the story. I knew it was written for young adults. I knew that it was a gentle plot, not overly graphic, or ridiculously fast paced with unrealistic scenarios and twists throwing the reader off at every turn. I will be purchasing the sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well, I loved it, personally., 7 Jun. 2010
N. Parish (UK) - See all my reviews
Reviewers so far seem to have been disappointed. I always await Grisham's with joy, and read them as soon as I get hold of them. This was no exception. I thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the different style. Perhaps I should point out that I enjoy literature for younger people, which perhaps explains why I loved it and others here didn't... But then I wouldn't say it was only for the younger audience anyway. I thought it was nicely written, there seem to be things that haven't really been rounded off, but then, I read somewhere that this might be the start of a series ... which would make rounding everything off pointless. I certainly wouldn't level the same criticisms at it as others reviewing here.
Anyway, a quick read, I enjoyed it immensely, and look forward to the next book (whether or not it's a follow-up to this one!)
**Perhaps I should add, the back cover of the book says something along the lines of 'Grisham for a new generation of readers', which maybe explains the intended-audience shift... **

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 13 July 2012
This review is from: Theodore Boone: Theodore Boone 1 (Paperback)
Brilliant! This is one of the best books I have ever read; constantly making me turn the page to read more. This magnificent creation by John Grisham is set in a small American state of Strattenburg where there is a 13 year old boy named Theodore Boone. This imaginative boy really wants to follow his Mum and Dad's career of being a lawyer and if he is lucky, a judge.

But suddenly a murder has been committed at the house of Mr Duffy, next to The Creek Golf Course, and the victim is his wife. Everyone, even the Judge, thinks Mr. Duffy is to blame, but no one has any way to prove it... But there is a faceless witness who saw the whole crime happen, and one other person who knows the whole truth and he is 13. You may have guessed it, Theodore knows the full truth but will he tell..............?

I personally think this is great for confident readers, 10 years of age and up; who really like action, suspense and crime stories because this book has it all. But beware you must have some time on your hands, because you will want to read more and more.
by
Freddie

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a great book!, 9 Oct. 2010
A Kid's Review
I am 10 years old and I thought this book was great. I liked the plot and the basic storyline-it is definetely aimed at a younger audience. It gives you a realistic mental image of the courtroom and all that happens in it. I would recommend this book to anyone aged between 9 and 16 years old.

Bethany-aged 10.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great, quick read, 21 Jun. 2010
B. J. Bartley "Bo Bartley" (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I didn't realise before buying the book that it was targeted at a younger audience. I have read everything John Grisham has written and I really enjoyed this lovely story. A fabulous introduction for the next generation of readers. A great storyline which was easy to follow - I read it in a day. Grisham is at his best when he's writing about the courtroom and I found the up-to-date nature of this book a pleasure. I would definitely recommend it to readers of all ages.

4.0 out of 5 stars Theodore Boone, 14 Jun. 2010
Jenny, Wondrous Reads (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Before Theodore Boone, I hadn't read a single book by John Grisham. Not one. I'm thinking I probably should have done, because his tales of courts and laws are pretty fascinating. I'm not saying Theodore Boone is the best book I've ever read, but it was certainly different, and very, very interesting.

I don't know an awful lot about lawyers and their work, basically just what I learnt from watching 5 seasons of Ally McBeal. Thanks to Mr. Grisham, I now know more about the inside of a courtroom, as well as more about the US justice system and how everything works. I must say, I'm intrigued, but I won't be running out to pick up a gavel anytime soon.

What I loved about this book was 13-year-old aspiring lawyer Theo, and his passion for the job. He knew everything concerning the law, and even helped out his school friends in his spare time. The murder mystery element also kept me flipping the pages and, though it wasn't properly resolved, I got a good idea of how the future of the case would play out.

My main quibble with Theodore Boone was the decision to use a third person narrative. As a reader, I don't gel well with this style, and did find it quite hard to get into in this instance. I much prefer reading a character's thoughts and feelings from their own voice, rather than being told what they're experiencing through someone else's eyes. I'm in no way criticising the author's ability to write like this, because he does do it very well. It's just a personal narrative preference.

Overall, Theodore Boone is an unusual addition to YA lit, with an appealing plot of mystery and murder. I hope there are more books featuring Theo in the works, as I'd definitely like to read more fiction for teens by this author.

3.5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Three cheers for Teddy... and for Grisham, 3 Dec. 2010
What a great way in to Grisham for young people!
From reading the previous reviews, in particular those that say they didn't like it and gave it a low rating, I suspect (as is often the case) what someone says tells you more about them, than what they were talking about, more about the reader than the read. I'm well aware that in saying that, I point three fingers back at myself.
Read the book for yourself, make up your own mind, yes, remember that Grisham has tailored it for young readers... which doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed by older folk... like me! Don't be put off by those who failed to realise that, and as a result wrote with a slightly jaundiced view, and especially ignore any review that reviews the seller rather than the book!

4.0 out of 5 stars A legal thriller with universal appeal!, 11 Jun. 2010
When you hear that a huge name in adult fiction is branching out into the YA market, you can't help but be curious. Add to that the fact that John Grisham has invented a whole new genre -The Young Adult Legal Thriller - and well, I jumped at the chance to review this and I'm really glad I did. Theodore Boone: Young Lawyer has such a broad appeal. Anyone from ten to ninety-two would enjoy this book. Theo is thirteen and he is a rather peculiar teen. He spends his spare time at the court house and he watches trial after trial. His parents are both lawyers. His mum Marcella Boone is a divorce lawyer. His dad Woods Boone is a real estate lawyer. Theo is passionate about the law and justice. He cannot decide if he wants to be a criminal laywer or a judge. We enter Theo's life at a very exciting time. The biggest trial ever to come to the city of Strattenberg is about to begin. A man - Pete Duffy - is accused by the prosceution of murdering his wife. Theo is desperate to watch every second of the trial but like most thirteen year olds he has to go to school. Luckily for Theo, his Government teacher is an ex-lawyer so his class do get to watch the opening statements.

On the surface it is hard to work out how a teen protagonist could be a lawyer but Grisham really makes it work. Many of Theo's fellow pupils come to him for help. He has his own little office at the back of his parents' law firm and that in itself made this book a joy to read. I can see that it will have an immense appeal to kids who feel powerless in an adult dominated world. Theo uses his parents' access codes to get into all sorts of important websites. It is very cool and although it doesn't sound believeable, it is written in such a way that you really don't care. You are too busy having a fun time learning about the criminal justice system through Theo's explanations of the law to his friends.

The characterisation in this book was quirky and a little comedic. Theo's parents are very habitual people (like me actually). They eat at the same time everyday. They go to the same places at the same time every week. It really made me laugh because I am so like this. Perhaps I should have been a lawyer rather than a librarian? The plot is also really well crafted. The main case of the state versus Mr Duffy is the main engine driving through the story but then there are also all these little cases that Theo resolves for his clients. It works really well and keeps you interested while you're hearing about how the trial is unfolding.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading Theodore Boone. It has a definite appeal to fans of murder mysteries and crime novels. It is a very easy read and fast paced. The fact that there is no swearing, no violence and no sexual content means that I would be more than happy for a nine/ ten year old to read this. The issue of the murder is dealt with very clinically and so no worries there either. Theodore Boone is a great quirky read that will teach you about all about criminal law and at the same time amuse and entertain you. I can't wait for the next instalment. Just super fun!

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice bit of light reading, 24 Jun. 2010
Like many others I didnt realise I was ordering what is probably best classed as teenage fiction. However as soon as I saw the print size and read chapter one I realised and as such that set my expectation that this would not be like other Grisham books. I have to say I thought it was a fairly good book - not the most realistic plot but a nice bit of light hearted reading for an afternoon and a bit of escapism. If this were to be one of a series I would probably get the next one. Probably a nice intro to this sort of genre for younger readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Law Made Easy - for kids! Exciting and full of facts, it's a great introduction to a whole new genre, 24 Jun. 2015
K. J. Noyes "Katy Noyes" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Theodore Boone: Theodore Boone 1 (Paperback)
My second time reading this, I needed to revise its content for our library's junior book club.

I enjoyed it just as much the second time, as did my group of 8-9 year olds.

It's not every adult writer that can take his preferred genre and fit it to a young audience, but Grisham makes the courtroom story fit well into a book for 9-12 year olds.

Theo Boone wants to be a lawyer when he's older, like his mum and dad. And in fact, he's often sought out by classmates to help sort out problems that can only be solved by someone with a good knowledge of the law. He manages to find his Government class seats to watch a high-profile murder trial (rare in his little town). Everyone is sure the accused is guilty, but there seems to be no proof. Theo of course manages to get himself tangled up in it when an unknown witness comes forward that says he can prove the defendant's guilt.

My group of kids loved this. I admire Grisham's way of introducing young readers to the practices and language of the courts, making the structure clear, and integrating it well into the story (though making Theo a bit of a smart-arse at times as he tells his fellow students what is what). It's Law 101 for pre-teens, and a gripping murder story into the bargain.

Theo is surrounded by a cast that look set to grow through the series (I haven't read any further that this one) - mother and father lawyers, uncle a former lawyer and confidante, a grumpy but kind judge, a best friend whose role here is small but obviously set to increase.

This is an easy read and with lots of speech and explanation, as well as action, worked well for both the boys and girls in my group.

A refreshing series for children, looking at a fairly adult topic but in an accessible way.

Theodore Boone: Theodore Boone 1
Theodore Boone: Theodore Boone 1 by John Grisham (Paperback - 3 Mar. 2011)