5.0 out of 5 stars Well, I loved it, personally.
Reviewers so far seem to have been disappointed. I always await Grisham's with joy, and read them as soon as I get hold of them. This was no exception. I thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the different style. Perhaps I should point out that I enjoy literature for younger people, which perhaps explains why I loved it and others here didn't... But then I wouldn't say it...
Published on 7 Jun 2010 by N. Parish

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice bit of light reading
Like many others I didnt realise I was ordering what is probably best classed as teenage fiction. However as soon as I saw the print size and read chapter one I realised and as such that set my expectation that this would not be like other Grisham books. I have to say I thought it was a fairly good book - not the most realistic plot but a nice bit of light hearted...
Published on 24 Jun 2010 by Poohbear Mummy

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing - even as a "teen" book!, 18 Jun 2010
This review is from: Theodore Boone (Hardcover)
I found this really sub-standard for Grisham, and it wasn't even until I had finished reading & checked out the reviews on here (to see if others were as disappointed as I?) that I realised this was not an adult fiction title! There is nothing in any description of the book that I have seen to indicate this; I did not even notice the jacket blurb "...for a new generation of readers".
I found the plot so thin, the characters weak, certain aspects underdeveloped (the girl friend with divorcing parents & the menacing henchman) and the end was inconclusive.
If it is intended for young people, it really needn't have these shortfalls. The plots & themes in Harry Potter & His Dark Materials are far more complex than this.
As I said in my title - disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good book, 1 Nov 2010
A Kid's Review
This book was a very good one in my opinion. I was never able to put it down. one of the best things I have read in a very long time.

the character variaty was not at all what i expected i will not give it away tho
i thnk the auther grabed the reader in a way they couldnt get out of yet go back for more i loved it and would highly recommend it.

Patrick Roberts, age 12.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 25 July 2014
Not really my sort of Grisham

1.0 out of 5 stars teenagers deserve better, 15 July 2010
This review is from: Theodore Boone (Hardcover)
When I bought this, I was not aware that it was a book written for teenagers. It soon became clear, by the simplified,language, print size, and sentence structure that it was actually written for teens of lower than average literary ability. The plot identifies various characters with teenage issues - parental divorce etc, but none of these these side characters has any depth and their stories have no conclusions. in the background there is a mysterious baddie but his role or purpose is never known. Truth be told, whenI plodded my way to the last page, I thought that the last chapter was missing - what actually happened? I haven't a clue. This was a patronising children's book with no purpose. It was a mistake to buy it.

2.0 out of 5 stars It's the same book as "Theodore Boone", 18 Jun 2010
Mr. R. W. Oswald Systems "Runemaker" (Milton Keynes UK) - See all my reviews
Yep, that's right. Amazon don't tell you but this is exactly the same text as the book with the cover "Theodore Boone" with the subtitle of "half the man, twice the lawyer".

Aamazon also fail to point out that this is a book for children probably aimed at ages from around 8 to 14 years and maybe for young adults. You don't find that out unless you read the reviews or maybe if you look at the back cover of the book where it says "for a new generation of readers". Being a bit carried away with my immediate reaction of "Wow, a new Grisham! I must get it right away!" I didn't look at the back cover and even when I got the book in my hand it still didn't register with me that this line meant "this one is for kids".

It's an OK read that takes only an hour or two because its large-ish print on pages with a smallish text area, big line spacing and lots of blanks between chapters. When I was writing 40 years ago this length of work was called a novella.

OK. To the story. No spoilers from me, but you should know that the plot is straight-line with no twists or turns, not a lot of character development, and the book closes before the end of the story. What's that? I hear you ask. I mean JG ignores the outcome of the plot completely.

To summarize: disappointing for an unsuspecting adult like me. Probably a bit difficult conceptually for younger children and possibly boring for older ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 Aug 2014
Item as described.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for younger readers, 1 Aug 2012
This review is from: Theodore Boone (Paperback)
As a book for younger readers to introduce them to the genre a great read but for me disappointing as I didn't realise it was targeted for a younger audience. I skimmed through it rather than reading it 'properly' and did enjoy it on that level. Will I be reading the rest in this series??? No I won't

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., 14 April 2012
This review is from: Theodore Boone (Paperback)
A very short novel, far shorter than we've come to expect from Mr Grisham. The plot was simplistic and predictable and there are no sub plots and no complexity. Overall disappointing but a very quick read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 9 April 2012
This review is from: Theodore Boone (Paperback)
I wish I had known this was a children's book. I gave up on it and left it on the train somewhere near Bristol. I found reading the Metro more interesting.

1.0 out of 5 stars Patronising and dull, 16 Feb 2012
A. TURNER (Herefordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Theodore Boone (Paperback)
I borrowed this book from the library, it was in the adult section, god knows why it is so patronising. Now I find it is aimed at a younger audience I still think it is extremely dull and patronising.

It is only around 250 pages and you have to read over half of it before anything vaguely interesting happens.

My first John Grisham book - and my last

Theodore Boone
Theodore Boone by John Grisham (Hardcover - 3 Jun 2010)
Used & New from: £0.01