4.0 out of 5 stars Endearingly honest read
Published on 30 Jan 2009 by Ms. A. Brooke

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but very frank
A very frank book about Russell's life, He writes like he talks and leaves nothing to the imagination.
Certainly not for minors or easily embarrassed readers!
Published 15 months ago by Heidi Lewis

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but very frank, 13 May 2013
This review is from: My Booky Wook (Kindle Edition)
Certainly not for minors or easily embarrassed readers!

4.0 out of 5 stars Endearingly honest read, 30 Jan 2009
Ms. A. Brooke "Anne Brooke" (Godalming, Surrey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Booky Wook (Paperback)
First off, I have to admit Brand is not a man I greatly warm to, particularly after recent disasters, but there are moments in this book where I laughed out loud and it is written with a rather endearing honesty. There's something essentially Byronic about the man, in my opinion. And in some ways the book has made me like him better. But the astonishing thing - and the reason you must consider it as one for your reading list - is that it absolutely has the best last two pages I have ever read in any biography. Or any work of non-fiction indeed. And the utter best last line. It's stunning and it left me (a) in tears and (b) hugely impressed. If Brand can write like that with such piercing clarity and depth, then more please and soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching use of humour as a defence mechanism, 25 Nov 2010
This review is from: My Booky Wook (Hardcover)
I live in Denmark, thus I have never experienced various Russell Brand media dramas that have been. It seems to me like he is a man who has divided up Britain: either you love him passionately or you hate him passionately. Not being a part of this I guess that helped me read this book without prejudices.
I must say I was really moved by his story. Why? He has told his story beautifully, in a vivid language. In this autobiography Russell is having an ironic distance to really horrible events in his life. This ironic distance is what makes the book so good because it really shows how much it has affected him and that makes it extremely personal. I think his defence mechanism is his humour and using humour describing situations that are anything but humorous really gives you an insight into his bruised past. The pages are filled with humour, but the story is full of sorrow.

1.0 out of 5 stars self centred and totally uninspiring, 5 Dec 2013
This review is from: My Booky Wook (Kindle Edition)
I had heard that it was an interesting look into an occasionally controversial figure's life.
He is clearly intelligent, but I do not want to waste time reading about someone's obsession with wasting their talent and opportunities in a destructive way that has no 'positive' outcome. Grow up and think of all the people worldwide who would give anything for a fraction of the opportunities he had!
He can also be entertaining, but this book ain't that.
I will definitely not be buying the sequel!

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: My Booky Wook (Paperback)
Sometimes people write a book just to write a book. I'm fairly sure Russell's life has been fascinating, however this book is simply dumbed down inane babble. Better books out there if you're looking for entertainment.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only book I would read more than once, 7 Aug 2014
This review is from: My Booky Wook (Kindle Edition)
You won't be able to put this book down. Downloaded this book to read in lunch times at work, started it one lunch time, finished it by bed time, downloaded the next one straight away. It's open, honest and Russell Brand doesn't hold back with any details, thoughts, feelings, philosophies, what an extraordinary human being. I never read a book more than once, I usually give them away afterwards to prevent my house becoming a fire hazard stuffed with paper. This (and Booky Wook 2 which I have now read) are the only books in the world I would go right back to the beginning and read again, and I will! I am desperate for Booky Wook 3, is there going to be one? I really hope so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brutal. Hillarious. Honest and compelling., 3 Aug 2014
This review is from: My Booky Wook (Kindle Edition)
What can be said about this that hasn't been written before? I thoroughly enjoyed this, after firmly expecting not too. Brand really knows how to play up to his media stereotype. And he writes with a disarming charm. A compelling read, beautiful and honestly written. Yes, it's hard going in places, but what an interesting life - and not in a "feel sorry for me - I've been to rehab!" type way - just honest, self effacing and brutal. And hilarious. There are some wonderfully laugh out loud moments in here - usually immediately before or after he's almost bought you to tears. Great job Russell. A cracking read and worth every penny.

1.0 out of 5 stars Booky Wook, 23 Dec 2013
Vivian Charge - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Booky Wook (Hardcover)
I thought this book was going to be such a good read. I had real good reports on it. The first page was good and after that I could not understand a word he was talking about. Not for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky, shocking and funny!, 12 Jan 2008
This review is from: My Booky Wook (Hardcover)
I liked Russell before I read this book so was pleased to get it for Christmas. An almost graphically honest account of aspects of his life including his drug addiction and sexual exploits, it was also very funny in places. I was quite shocked by some of the things I read and I seemed to have spent the duration of the book wavering between liking and disliking him. He describes his life in a very abstract manner, sometimes going all serious and then from nowhere almost, bursting forth with his unusual sense of humour.
Reading the book has definately made me think that Russell is probably the only person you can love and hate equally. He is very sympathetic and understanding in places and then the next page he seems to destroy all that by saying something selfish and self absorbed.
You have to give credit to Russell for writing his own autobiography which many don't these days.
I still don't quite know what to make of Russell Brand as a person but as far as the book go's I have given it a semi thumbs up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Candid, sometimes brutal, but with hilarious undertones!, 2 July 2013
This review is from: My Booky Wook (Kindle Edition)
This book is brilliant... You can tell it's been written by the hilarious Mr Brand himself - you even find yourself reading in his voice and in the way performs - essentially the book is one big performace - albeit in a dark way on occasions.

If you're a fan of Rusty Rockets himself, I would absolutely recommend that you read this - and learn how his meteoric rise to, dare I say it, world stardom, could almost be referred to as catastrophic. It's good to see that in the end, the boy done good!

My Booky Wook
My Booky Wook by Russell Brand (Audio CD - 1 Jun 2011)
19.99