5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing and reassuring....
.... 'pour a glug of olive oil into a large ovenproof dish'........'use whatever fresh herbs you have to hand', ......'any vegetable you have in your fridge will work with this recipe',..... 'and if you have a bottle of white wine to hand, throw a glass in before stage 3 and just let it boil off a little for a couple of minutes.....'

Typical text, from a man...
Published on 31 Aug 2011 by A Customer of AMAZON-UK

3.0 out of 5 stars not kids recipes
Disappointed in this, bought thinking it had children recipes at an easy to follow pace as it appears to be aimed at Dad's (sorry Dad's! ). It's basically just another recipe book.
Published 10 months ago by Rachel

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing and reassuring...., 31 Aug 2011
This review is from: My Daddy Cooks: 100 Fresh New Recipes for the Whole Family (Hardcover)

Typical text, from a man who aims to simplify the route to delicious home cooking no matter what experience you have.
For the littlest ones, it is also a great inspiration to 'help out' (sometimes known as 'make a mess'!) in the kitchen and, almost nonchalantly, puts learning to cook back on the menu!

From the back cover:

'An alternative title for this book might have been 'My Daddy Cooks - how to cook delicious and easy family meals, in the tiniest kitchen, even with the chaotic and messy intervention of a toddler.
Stay-at-home dad, Nick Coffer, and his toddler Archie captured hearts and captivated taste buds around the world when they launched their video blog [..] from their tiny kitchen in Watford.
In his first book, passionate food-lover Nick shares over 100 tried and tested recipes for deliciously simple but innovative home-cooked dishes.
From straightforward suppers and one-pot dishes such as 'Oven-baked Risotto' and 'Mexican Lasagne', to sweet treats and indulgent puddings including 'Peanut Butter and Chocolate Brownies' and 'Frozen Eton Mess Ice Cream', My Daddy Cooks is a book you'll use time and time again. Whether you are a dad or a mum looking for inspiration, or just someone who loves good food, My Daddy Cooks will liven up mealtimes without you having to spend hours in the kitchen.'

Nick explains in the introduction that the front cover simply wasn't big enough for that aforementioned detailed title and goes on to say:

'If you have watched any of the videos on my blog of Archie and me cooking together, you will know exactly what I am referring to. And yet, even when all the cake mixture ends up half way down Archie's sleeves, or when half a pot of oregano finds its way into lamb stew, we still make fresh food that tastes delicious......

....of course, you don't have to have any kids in the kitchen with you to make these recipes. And it goes without saying that you don't even have to be a dad. But as they have all been road-tested in the toughest kitchen environment - a tiny three metres square kitchen with a tiny toddler in tow - you can be confident that they are all extremely cookable ........'

And they are.

The main aim of the book is for anyone to achieve great tasting home cooking without the need for over complicated recipes and it does - with a touch of 'cheating', at times, for the sake of frugality or time-saving.

Measuring in around 19.5 cm x 24 cm, Nick and Archie turn out their latest batch on the durable hardback cover which opens to 192 matt pages, split over main chapters:

1. Beyond Toast
2. Lighter Bites
3. Super Bowls
4. My Daddy Cooks the Classics
5. Throw it All in (literally!)
6. (Almost) No Cooking Required
7. Wok on the Wild Side
8. Foolproof Grills and Bakes
9. Puds, Treats and Sweets

sandwiched between a 16-page introduction (which includes an essential storecupboard inventory) and a 4-page index.
Interspersed with colour photography of some of the dishes, a few snapshots and on-location shots, this wonderful book winds up with a page of acknowledgments, the main one dedicated to:

'...of course.....Archie! My funny, wilful, gorgeous little boy and ever-willing sous-chef. Thanks for joining me on this incredible ride. I hope that you will read this book in the future and be as proud of yourself as I am of you right now.'

Each chapter opens with a simple illustration on one side and an opening paragraph on the other, then we are straight into the recipes.
Each recipe has the title, followed by an opening paragraph which includes tips or observations, the number of servings, the list of ingredients, the prep & cooking times and a clearly laid out, numbered method.

I particularly like 'Savoury breakfast bread pudding', from pages 34 & 35 - which has that je ne sais quoi about it - 'not quite a quiche, not quite a soufflé, not quite eggy bread'!
My next best favourites to date, are 'Chicken, leek and tarragon pie with a rosti topping', from pages 88 & 89 and 'Oven-baked seafood paella', from pages 92 & 93, the latter being 'whipped up and chucked in the oven' - and the result is just as authentic, despite using a pack of frozen mixed seafood for speediness!

'Beef, Guinness and mushroom stew' is always a little bit different, based on the 'good handful of whatever fresh herbs you have to hand' enhancement!
Nick uses his 'short-cut' version, i.e. forget the frying pan & the casserole...do it all in a hob-proof dish which then transfers to the oven; leave it for a couple of hours to produce that tasty dark stew.
The added bonus - less to wash up at the end, too!

Other recipes include:

* Leftover chicken fried rice
* Moroccan harira soup
* Manhattan crab chowder
* Creamy pork stroganoff
* The quickest home-made pizza ever!
* The My Daddy Cooks burger and chips
* Creamy prawn curry
* Thai vegetable green curry
* Sausage jambalaya
* Tartiflette
* Hot citrus pudding with its own citrus sauce
* No-bake chocolate tiffin cake
* Muddy flourless chocolate cake
* Baked cinnamon apples

'Plum Clafoutis' winds this book up, and as I face a large basket of over-ripe garden plums, I know what I am doing tonight!

'This is my kind of dessert. Elaborate sounding name, unbelievably easy to make, absolutely delicious...........'

5.0 out of 5 stars Proper family cooking for adults and their little helpers, 23 May 2011
R. Whittle (London) - See all my reviews
I'm a keen cook and as such I have many, many cookbooks strewn around my kitchen. However two things bug me about the cookbooks I've purchaed in the past, firstly it's rare to find a cookbook that contains recipes that the whole family can enjoy from my little toddler to grandpa and secondly, buying a cookbook is sometimes a leap of faith - will I find the ingredients? Am I capable of cooking the recipes? Do I actually want to cook from this book time and time again?

No such problems with Nick Coffers genius cookbook. I'm a follower of his blog so I was expecting good things from this book and I haven't been disappointed so far. All his recipes are written in a wonderfully easy to follow style and are prefaced with a little passage about the recipe and what it's all about. You can find all the ingredients in your local highstreet, there's no specialist equipment to purchase and all the recipes can be rustled up in no time at all. But by far the best thing about this cookbook is that at the end of the cooking process you end up with fresh, tasty, family friendly food.

There is also a big. big bonus with this cookbook - although I imagine adults will love cooking from it, the recipes are fabulous to do with your children! My daughter is 19 months old and already helps me prepare lunch, dinner and bake cakes. She has helped (just like Archie) in a few of the recipes now and loves to flick through the book whilst i'm cooking pointing out the pictures of Archie and the food.

If you buy only one cookbook this year, make it this one - you will not be disappointed, it will not languish on the shelf untouched, it will be used, battered and covered in food debris though!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic family cookbook, 23 May 2011
I was struck by quite how great this book is when I had 5mins on Friday between getting in from work and kids pick up followed by shop. Running in, whipping it open at random for ideas and recipes for the weekend meals that we will enjoy as well the kids gave me reliable fast inspiration and an easy shopping list.

So far we have tried Creamy Pork Stroganoff [I swear that both girls actually commented unprompted on how much they liked it], Beef, Guiness and Mushroom Stew cooked by them both with their Dad, and Bready Scrolls with marmite and parmesan, but also with a cinnamon/butter/sugar filling. All fast and straight-forward. But best one so far [recommended to me by a friend who also has this] is the Chicken, Leek and Tarrgon pie with Rosti Topping. Super delicious for a family meal, but would also be an impressive dinner party performer! Brigadeiro [little fudgy balls made with chocolate and condensed milk] are already a fave of ours for kid-made Xmas presents, but great to see them mentioned in here, and again, it's all about the ease & simplicity.

The author obviously has huge passion and experience but with a relaxed attitude and understanding of family life and cooking with children.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute must-have, 11 Jun 2011
Amy Lane (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
We love this book so much it has been used everyday since we bought it and hasn't even made it onto the kitchen shelf yet!

As a busy parent it is so easy to get stuck in a rut with family mealtimes, making the same few dishes over and over again. My Daddy Cooks is packed full of interesting but simple recipes, perfect for the whole family. There are also some of those great classics that we all love cooking, which have been given a My Daddy Cooks twist - the turbo-quick shepherd's pie was a huge hit in our house.

I was really pleased to find that I could make lots of the recipes from everyday ingredients that I usually have in the house. There is nothing more off-putting than finding you need special ingredients that aren't readily available in the local supermarket! This makes meal planning super quick and easy - I can often pick up the book at the last minute and find something tasty to cook straight away.

This is most definitely not a children's cook book, but a recipe book suitable for all the family - in fact, some of the dishes would be perfect served up to friend's at an informal dinner party. However, many of the recipes are perfect for little hands to help with and my children love helping mix up the batter for fruity popovers at the weekend. Having watched Nick and Archie cooking together regularly over on the My Daddy Cooks blog, my children insist on helping most of the time! I am always confident that the recipes will turn out well, knowing that they have been put to the test under rigorous circumstances by a busy parent, with a toddler, in a small kitchen - things most of us face when preparing family meals.

With a lovely layout and easy to follow recipes, I can see that this book is going to be a firm favourite in our household for a long time to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars A super book full of quick and easy recipes, 8 Jun 2011
I have been enjoying the "my Daddy Cooks" blog for over a year now so I have been anticipating this book for some time. This is a great book providing lots of inspiration for quick and easy meals for the whole family. The layout is clear and easy to read, the styling and colours attractive with some delightful photographs of Nick and Archie enjoying each other's company. The recipes are easy to follow and quick to prepare but they are very definitely not "children's" food and although quick, none of them rely on using store bought sauces as so many other books do. My children have long since flown the nest but I am still finding this book helpful particularly this week as I have had builders in the house and have had little time to cook. As a result we have tried several of the recipes in the book and enjoyed them all so far. Looking forward to trying the Mexican Lasagne tonight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Cook Book for Anyone to Enjoy, 7 Jun 2011
What a fabulous cook book indeed - I love cookbooks that you can take the off the shelf - have a quick browse through and quickly find something that you feel like making. More importantly - feel like making AND have the ingredients in the house: down to earth recipes, using every day items, with the odd something special thrown in. Tasty. Easy. No fuss. And still somehow special.

Love it.

Also beautifully laid out, with great photos and a handy "broken spine", so the pages don't keep flapping shut whilst you are cooking.

Am inspired to try lots of new things, as well as get my children involved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, budget friendly and fun!, 7 Jun 2011
Becky (Nottingham , England) - See all my reviews
The wonderful new cook book My Daddy Cooks has just been released perfectly in time for Fathers Day.I think books are the best gift idea becuse they give hours of pleasure and can be passed around too. Let me tell you about this one.

Nick Coffer the author first came to my attention as a video blogger . In 2009 with his businness struggling in the recession, Nick decided to become a stay at home dad to his son Archie. He has never looked back and clearly adored this time with his son. A life long foodie it was importnat to Nick to encourage his toddler to love and appraciate and be involved with food. So they started to cook in Nickfs tiny kitchen together . Soon they stated a video blog about their adventures at MY DADDY COOKS The blog was immediately a huge success (not just because oif the food also because Archie is just so darn so cute) and Nick began to create his own recipes. These have been extremely well received from the start.

Soon Nick had a regular radio show on three counties radio and now his book has been released showcasing 100 fresh new recipes for the whole family. What started out as a hobby, something fun to do with his son, has become so much more. What a great thing to share.

Let me tell you why I think My Daddy Cooks is such a great recipe book. Nick focuses on fresh, healthy and intersting and who does not apsire to cook that way for their family? AND ( and this is key) Nick has shown you can make his wonderful dishes

¡In a tiny kitchen
¡On a modest budget
¡with an inquisitive toddler under foot
and thatfs why his recipes are simple, straightforward, economical and speedy. Becuse Nick has lived home cooking with a little one he gets it right and this makes us all feel we can achieve it too.

Ifm not an enthusiastic cook but when I read no bake, 6 ingredients and 10 minutes prep even I feel encouraged. me and the kids made no bake choclate tiffin cake. It was LUSH! and I would happily give this as a gift when visiting friends. The kids had fun making it too. Next we are going to attempt The Easisest Mini Fudges (just 4 ingreds and 10 mins prep) can you see a pattern to my interst in cooking?

Just think if I bought this as a Fathers Day gift it may be enough to give me a big break whilst the kids cook with daddy and Ifd get lots of yummy sweet treats too! A cunning plan indeed. Like Nick says himself his recipes have been road tested in the roughest of environments (think kids underfot, a tiny kitchenc)and they still result in good, fresh, home cooked food thats really tasty. Definitely inspiring.

There is a whole range of soups, sauces, puddings, one pots, pastas and salads in this book. I think you will just love it and aI anticipate it will becoame a firm family favourite.Buy one for Fathers Day and you may just get a little feet up time too!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant book, 3 Jun 2011
I have brought so many cook books only to get them home and use them once or twice. I am a mum of a 2 year old and a 6 month year old so I need nice quick things to make that all the family will enjoy.
My Daddy cooks is a great cook book for this reason when my copy arrived I read it like a book and honestly could not wait to start cooking.
I have made a lot of things from this book and all have come out wonderful, its a very easy to follow book and most things needed to make the recipies I already had in which was a bonus.
This is one of the only cook books you will ever need and I am already waiting for number 2 to come out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab Family Cookbook with loads of easy receipes, 3 Jun 2011
I have waited a long time to get this book with eager anticipation and havent been disappointed.

Great easy to prepare recipes for the family which everyone loves.

Highly recommended for all, even those like my student kids who are just learning to fend for themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review: My Daddy Cooks, 3 Jun 2011
First things first, the colours in the book are really pleasing to the eye. There's a turquoise theme running through, cleverly accentuated in Nick and Archie's clothes, backgrounds and even crockery. It works really well, making it a pleasure to read.

And don't be fooled into thinking that because Nick cooks with Archie, his toddler, it means that the recipes are 'kids' food'. Not at all. The book is filled with really good, solid, family recipes with some innovative ideas sprinkled in for good measure. Take, for example, the Mexican Lasagne. Instead of pasta, the recipe uses tortillas: and yes, they really work! It doesn't even matter if you don't use every recipe exactly as it's written - simple layer up your own favourite chilli and follow the rest of the dish in the book - I think that's the beauty of a lot of these recipes: there are hints, tips and ideas that you'll adopt into your everyday cooking.

The (almost) no cooking required section will have busy parents everywhere sending Nick fan mail, and the pesto, although different ratios of ingredients than I normally use is - gasp - better and fresher than mine! I'll be using Nick's version from now on.

Tonight I shall be making the chicken and cauliflower biryani with my leftover roast chicken from yesterday, and this weekend I'll be going all-out and trying Nick's pared down version of a flourless chocolate cake (I do love it when my favourite recipes get even easier).

This book gets a very rare 10/10 from me.

My Daddy Cooks: 100 Fresh New Recipes for the Whole Family
My Daddy Cooks: 100 Fresh New Recipes for the Whole Family by Nick Coffer (Hardcover - 26 May 2011)
14.78