on 28 December 2012
I have read the previous 3 Empires so I am latched in to the characters ..... I love a good Roman punch up ...
on 12 February 2013
Anthony riches in all the empire series writes in such a way you cannot put the book down i certainly cant
This is the fifth in an excellent series, but perhaps the weakest. I don't like making that point as I have very much enjoyed the series to date. It is in no way a bad novel, just not as strong as the others.

We now find Centurion Marcus Corvus and his fellow Tungrian Auxiliary cohorts being sent to Dacia to protect a gold mine. Not surprisingly, they come up against both barbarians and treachery and Corvus learns something that will be of great use if he survives.

Anthony Riches is a very good writer and you can tell he is trying to not just repeat previous novels. There is no-one potentially exposing Marcus (whose colleagues are hiding his true identity) and you sense that the political aspect will come for to the fore. So, why not my usual four stars? Well, it took a while to get going and felt slightly forced at the start, not helped by the need to tell the background through a character discussion and there were threads rather easily cut odd - a well-established character is killed rather too casually, as is a new character, somewhat underused.

But all the good stuff is in here too, some great character inter-action, camaraderie and some very authentic Roman action.

This may be a key cross-roads in Anthony Riches' series, I sense he will send Marcus towards Rome and somehow will have to work out if he can get the Tungrians over there too. I'll buy it because I am a fan and hope it is a return to full form.
on 24 December 2012
This is a very good read in a series of great books. Look forward to more from this writer. Great!
on 2 February 2014
Lots of twists and turns,great read,his books just get better and better and I feel I can buy with confidence that it will be value for money.
on 20 December 2013
what can i say good reading as i could put the down . wife not happy with as allway reading
on 30 October 2012
Another exciting read in this series, though for me there is too much talk between the well-written battle scenes. Half-way through, I found myself skipping sections, wanting to get on. I appreciate that others will savour and enjoy these detailed conversations, both the banter between the characters and explanations of the political situation and what's happening.
As one might expect, the grammar and punctuation are excellent, but I must record how dismayed I was to find 'got bored of trying' instead of 'got bored with trying' (p45); this careless mis-use of "of" is creeping into more and more British writing, presumably from text-speak, and it distresses me that such a fine writer should let this slip through. There was also the awful Americanism 'exited' for 'left' (p60), and even a 'comprised of' (p199). Although they brought my eye to a juddering halt, they don't detract from the otherwise fine writing.
on 7 April 2013
Good story, but Riches tends to get bogged down in too much detail with too many characters. slightly heavy going
on 15 May 2016
good read
on 27 February 2014
The story just flows with Riches writings in the Empire series, I have been fortunate enough to meet Anthony and he's as nice a man as he is a good story teller. This book is no different with twists and turns right up until the end