Format: Hardcover|Change

on 26 May 2014
As someone who studied Latin and Roman law I'm always interested to read about the Romans. The author has picked a period round about 200 AD and constructed a plot involving murder,robbery and general all round skullduggery. This book is fun. It resembles a nineteen fifties Western set in 200 AD Europe. The plot concerns bandits who plague decent folks and are somewhere near modern Belgium and efforts to sort it out. I spotted the mysterious baddie early on, a man who is an inept gamekeeper but excellent and villainous poacher. There is a lot of action, and we have various centurions,prefects, tribunes, gangsters and a couple of women-a saintly woman doctor and an attractive whore.
The plot moves along in a pacy manner. The ending was too convoluted for my taste, and some of the plot comprises hackneyed and preposterous devices.
This is an enjoyable read and especially interesting in the authenticity of the 'Roman' parts.I am not attracted to reading any more of the series though, as the characters are not individually particularly inspiring.
on 2 June 2013
Very readable and enjoyable for 80% of the book... however it fell away towards the end and I felt cheated at the finish...Up to this the book and the preceding ones..were up the standard of Simon Scarrow however, Scarrow always leaves you wanting more...Maybe with future books Anthony will achieve the same result.????
VINE VOICEon 19 August 2014
Once again, Anthony Riches surpasses other authors in teaching us about the Roman Empire as well as giving us a fantastic read! The book follows on from the previous one and tells us about life during the Empire in Britannia in 182 CE. Another book which is difficult to put down, with shortish chapters which entice you to continue to discover what happens next! Aside from the few typographical errors, which are not the fault of the author, rather whoever proof read it, it was brilliantly written, which I have come to expect from this marvellous writer. Not only that, he is such a nice man, when I met him last year at the Harrogate Festival of Historical Fiction, I discovered that he's a down to earth person, and not swell-headed with his achievements to date; I am hoping I shall see him again this year at the festival.
on 1 August 2014
I'm starting to get rather annoyed with this Anthony Riches guy... I bought the first book in this series on a whim & without a clue as to his superb writing ability. He has that all too rare knack of being able to paint vivid realism from a few well selected words. On the field of ancient battle this results in a blood and gore fest that few other authors can conjure. Mr Riches also manages a similar feat with his development of characters. Corvus in particular is far from perfect, but as a reader one cannot help but like him. Now I know I'll not be able to buy another writer's material until this author runs out of words!
on 26 April 2012
It`s great to have the boy`s back,Anthony Riches has once again produced a action packed page turner of the highest quality ,as we continue with the adventure`s of the First Tungrian Cohort as they are sent to their home land to deal with an outbreak of brutally violent robbery.A bandit chieftain called Obduro,his identity always hidden behind an iron cavalry helmet is robbing and killing with impunity.One of the strength`s of the Empire series is that it is not just about our leading man Marcus Valerius Aquila,but we also you have a very good supporting cast, who get their opportunity in the spot light,this time it is Julius who takes centre stage on his return to his home of Tungrorum,a place that he last saw when he just fifteen.If you like your action to come thick and fast then Anthony Riches is your man.I would also like to mention how good the historical note`s are,along with a excellent section on The Cult of Mithras and the Roman Army in 182 AD.I normally end by asking for more ASAP ,but in this case we only have to wait till October for the next outing of the COH I TVNGR as that is when Wolf Gold is due.
on 11 March 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed the first two in this series but moving away from Britannia seems to have diminished the stories somewhat. I hope this is just a blip.
on 17 May 2013
Where were the battle scenes. Previous books included blood and gore galore. This was a bit limp as if the author had run out of ideas.
on 10 April 2013
This episode takes our heroes away from Hadrians wall to Germany. I was sorry to see them go as it is an area that is well known to me but the action is as violent as ever with ver y good descriptions of skirmishes and battles. I felt the solution at the end was a bit contrived though I saw it coming. That said it was an exciting read even if you realise that the author would not dare to allow the death of the main character.
on 26 February 2015
Continuing the tale of the Tungrian Auxiliaries , Marcus Aquila and his colleagues face several new challenges after embarking to Germania. The book is fast moving and although success is coming there are many dramas and disasters along the way that keep the reader on edge. The plot is complicated and all is not revealed until the end of the book. Entertaining and absorbing continuing this great series.
on 20 December 2014
have read this book twice now and am having it on "kindle". My only criticism is could we have the map lay outs through out the book please as when the action begins it would help to make the story line even better. Finally I realise the locations are based on the past but it would be nice to relate to modern Europe as well. But it is a great story well done.