5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful suspense novel stands the test of time
Published on 2 Dec 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but showing its age
I re-read this after many, many years. It's still a good page-turning gothic, but it really hasn't aged particularly well. The heroine felt quite dated, and I had to keep reminding myself it was set in the 1950s when I found some of the attitudes (eg, towards servants) dated. This is a problem for books from 1950s I think. If we read them as 'historical' then none of...
Published 6 months ago by Jolene

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful suspense novel stands the test of time, 2 Dec 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Nine Coaches Waiting (Paperback)
Almost half a century after Mary Stewart first wrote Nine Coaches Waiting, this book remains a timeless classic--beautifully written, hauntingly evocative, full of charm, wit, suspense and romance. Most of the action takes place in a chateau in France's Savoy region, near Switzerland. Lonely young Linda Martin, a half-French/half-English orphan, comes to the chateau to act as governess to nine-year-old Philippe, himself a lonely orphan. Soon accidents start happening to Philippe, and Linda suspects that someone may mean him harm. She has to protect him, without knowing herself whom she can trust. But no plot synopsis can do this wonderful novel justice; this is a masterpiece from one of the most gifted storytellers of the 20th century.

5.0 out of 5 stars The start of my enjoyment of the work of Mary Stewart!, 1 Aug 2007
This review is from: Nine Coaches Waiting (Paperback)
Nine Coaches Waiting was the first "Mary Stewart" I ever read - long years ago - and since then I have made sure to read every word she's written! Having had a period where I have read the works of other authors, I'm now starting from scratch again, to re-enjoy her works.

Her magic is timeless, and, for the younger ones among us, her modern novels are themselves "historical" as they are set in the mid-1900's when just about EVERYTHING was very different!

5.0 out of 5 stars NINE COACHES WAITING - A CLASSIC, 6 Jun 2011
This is a book to keep and read again and again.

When I first read it my teens,I was smitten with Raoul de Valmy and I was Linda Martin, transported to the Haute-Savoie, touched by adventure and danger. I couldn't wait to see what happened next. It is quality writing and will be read in 50 years when all of the cupcake/chocolate/wedding themed books will not. She doesn't talk down to the reader and it is full of literary allusions. She really captures the essence of the foreign settings and you get a feeling of being there. Above all, the writing is terrifyingly good, the characters are well-defined and the plot keeps you wondering what is going to happen next. I am now re-collecting all her books - and fab new covers by the way.

I just wish there were more new Mary Stewart novels to read and wish I could write a fraction as well as her.

4.0 out of 5 stars an engrossing read, 13 May 2011
Shouna Falconer (U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nine Coaches Waiting (Mary Stewart Modern Classic) (Paperback)
It's many years since I last read this book. I've read it at least twice, and I wish I didn't remember it so clearly, so that I could have the pleasure of re-discovering it.

It's so compelling that I found it hard to get anything else done while reading it. The heroine is likeable, brave and inquisitive with just a little touch of melancholy and naivety to make her all the more endearing. As a genre, Romance meets Thriller as only Mary Stewart knows how, and neither is compromised.

Linda, a bilingual from birth French/English girl, arrives in France to take up the post of governess to a lonely orphan. She has to hide the fact that she is half French and speaks the language fluently in order to meet the conditions of her employment. Before long, what seems like her employer's innocent preference for an English girl wears an altogether more sinister cloak, and the child's wheelchair bound guardian starts to send shivers down the spines of both protagonist and reader. As the narrative progresses and the tension grows, it becomes more and more obvious that both Linda and her young charge are in terrible danger.

Read and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Romantic Novel, 24 Jun 2011
Mrs. K. A. P. Wright - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This was the first Mary Stewart novel I ever read way back when.It had either been a Woman's Hour reading or a serial and I found a copy in a second hand shop. It was one of the first grown up books I had read and seemed to me to be the last word in sophistication. Although I have revisited it, I haven't read it for many years.

What a delight! It is, I suppose, a little dated in some of its attitudes, but the strength of the story and the characterization easily outweigh these minor flaws. It has all the ingredients of a true romance: a feisty heroine of strong principles emerging from poverty; a child for her to protect; a wildly romantic chateau as a setting; a diabolically charming chief villain; and two possible heroes, one strong, blond, noble Englishman and a dark saturnine Frenchman who may or may not be as devilish as his father.These may sound like stereotypes, I would say rather that they are the prototypes on which most characters of modern romances have been based, but unlike most prototypes they are fully developed and engaging.

I have now decided to reread all Mary Stewart's books. It was so pleasing to read a well made story that was literate and educated without being pretentious.

If you have not read any of her books you have such a treat in store!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, holds the attention, 25 July 2012
M. F. Cayley (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a beautifully written and well-paced story which holds the attention throughout. A young Englishwoman becomes governess to an aristocratic French boy. Gradually she comes to realise that the French family is not all it seems. The suspense builds up, slowly at first, then gathering pace towards the climax. Things are complicated by romance, but the book steers clear of the overly sentimental. In between are some beautiful descriptions of the countryside, included in a way which is relevant to the plot. The writing style is superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars takes you somewhere else, and makes it hard to leave, 3 Sep 2007
This review is from: Nine Coaches Waiting (Paperback)
I have recently gotten into a phase of british romance of the 50's and 60's. This phase started with this book. Sweet innocence, naive perkiness, a story that, though it has the expected ending, lures you into the flow, and it wont let go. In romance novels, just as in any other genre, there is quality and there is the other stuff. This is premium.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best romantic novel ever written, 25 Sep 2009
Bookheaper (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nine Coaches Waiting (Paperback)
I have loved this book for thirty years, ever since I first read it as a teenager. It is the best of Mary Stewart's beautifully written, highly literate thriller romances, though appears to be less well known (perhaps because the title makes it sound like a senior citizens' outing to Skegness). It partially reframes the story of Jane Eyre (with echoes of Cinderella thrown in as well) now set in a chateau in 'modern-day' (1958) France. Employed as a governess by an aristocratic French couple, orphaned half-English/half-French Linda Martin leaves England to look after their 9-year-old nephew, Philippe (also orphaned, but unlike Linda, wealthy and therefore vulnerable). Reduced to its outline the plot would come across as melodramatic but as always Mary Stewart manages to make it convincingly thrilling. And in Raoul de Valmy she has created the best modern-day Mr Rochester. The sexual tension and romantic uncertainty between Raoul and Linda is brilliantly conveyed and kept wound tight until the very end.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nine coaches waiting, 16 Oct 2013
A. V. Gray (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
Excellent story - but I knew that before ordering the book. But it was a bit spoiled by the poor editing towards the end. There were repeated passages and missing sections.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of all her books!!, 30 Sep 2013
I would give this more than 5 stars if I could. Absolutely gripping and a little sinister at times. Could not put this down - read the 455 pages in no time at all. Of all Mary Stewart's brilliant works (I've read them all now) this was the last and by far the best.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb12fe7b0)

Nine Coaches Waiting (Mary Stewart Modern Classic)
Nine Coaches Waiting (Mary Stewart Modern Classic) by Mary Stewart (Paperback - 17 Mar 2011)
8.99