1,026 of 1,039 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Dukan Diet Book
I'm really glad I bought this book.
Published on 17 Jun. 2010 by J. Sullivan

3.0 out of 5 stars Like an even more extreme Atkins, despite the claims
The bottom line is - the diet works for as long as you stick to it. But of course this is true of any diet you care to mention. Sticking at diets is the hard bit. I personally find sticking to the Dukan unreasonably hard so it's not idea.

The good news is that you will lose weight (not the same as fat) very quickly in the attack phase. This is because you're...
Published on 22 Sept. 2011 by Splossy

1,026 of 1,039 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Dukan Diet Book, 17 Jun. 2010
J. Sullivan "jlisa" (NH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dukan Diet (Paperback)
I'm really glad I bought this book.
I am on the Dukan Diet and was eager to start it based on website reviews. However, while there is a lot of free information out there about the diet, none of the information was complete or even completely accurate. Many sites that claim to give you the facts on the diet actually contradict each other, and so after sorting through it all, I ended up with more questions than answers. The diet is new here, making its way from France and the UK mostly by rumor and word of mouth. The official website is not yet fully functional.

If you are not completely familiar with the diet it consists of 4 phases.(I will simplify here:) The first phase lasts an average of 5 days and is nothing but lean protein and water. The second is alternating days of protein only days and protein plus vegetable days and this phase lasts until you are at your goal weight. Phase three is where you continue as in phase two but add in specific foods to your diet (bread, cheese, fruit)and get "celebratory meals" 2x a week. The final phase is where you eat whatever you want everyday except Thursday which is a protein only day. This is for life. Those are the basics in a nutshell - but there is a lot more to know about what is allowed or not allowed and it is well-laid out in the book. Sticking to these foods, you can eat as much as you want whenever you want - and don't worry, there are plenty.

The book took a while to get here but it was worth the wait. Despite the language differences, it is well-written and very easy to understand. The diet seems to be well structured and the reasoning and science is well-explained and easy to "get". It also addresses specific issues that women face when trying to lose weight - which has been a question mark in other diets. The book has some recipes, a few I really like and rely on, some that just don't cut it for me. After the first 5 days you can really get creative with allowed foods, so its not a big deal.

In all, the diet is easy to understand, grasp and follow. In my opinion as a lifelong dieter, this will be my last. I am in my late 40's, have lost 10 pounds in about 3 weeks and feel comfortable in that I will be able to easily stick to subsequent phases that will prevent me from re-gaining the weight. This is largely due to the fact that you continue to see results on the scale even after the first week of losing water weight. (Unlike Atkins where I dropped the weight and then had little patience or will power to follow through with the latter phases.)

Having the book has allowed me to follow the diet accurately, so it works more efficiently. I am not hungry between meals and my energy level is high.
I suggest getting the book if you are serious about being on this diet.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you think you are over forty and fat and its too late, think again!, 3 Aug. 2011
G. M. Finch "gillianrixheim" (Riom, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dukan Diet (Paperback)
Felt the urge to write this review to share my own personal experience of this diet and this book.
I saw a colleague a while back now and thought she must be ill as she had lost such a lot of weight so quickly. It is then that I was introduced to this book.
Perhaps you have heard and read loads of negative stuff about this book. My advice is just to ignore all these scaremongering people; who are normally size 10 and quite happy to see you stay at your size 14 or more!
I am a women over forty; fast approaching fifty with two kids. Was I fat; yes; obese; no not really but those size 14 clothes were starting to feel tightish and I was not one bit happy with my chunky look, chunky arms; mumsy look; almost felt well there was nothing to do about it; with age; with the kids.
I am not an enormous eater but picking here and there had put on 10 kg, about one and a half stone in weight over eight years.
So got the book and started. The first day was quite hard as I don't eat red meat; just chicken fish and eggs and I did feel hungry
Followed the first part of the plan for five days; lost weight
Then the second part of the plan; lost more weight
Now on the third consolidation part of the plan
Still losing weight. Now lost one and a half stone reasonably simply I would say
and back to my nine and a half stone look; look skinny almost; feel light and healthy.
What I would say is buy this book if you are serious about getting back to a normal weight. If you are over forty with kids it is perfect. You can and will lose weight
and if; and this is very important; IF you are prepared to follow the plan to a tee; drink the water; eat the oat bran; I make a porridge in the morning; walk; not everyday if you dont want but a few times a week; don't cheat and just hold your head up high and get on with it you will definitely losee weight and keep it off; good luck. Fat and forty - buy this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Time to set a few things straight!, 19 July 2010
This review is from: The Dukan Diet (Paperback)
Right oh, having read lots of the reviews for this book, some great, some scathing, I decided to write my own review which I hope will help people decide if this is the book they want to follow or not.

First off, I am (unfortunately) a yo-yo dieter. I have tried pretty much everything out there, Atkins, Slimming World, Slim Fast, Weight Watchers, the GI Diet, The Holford Diet, Somersizing, you name it, I have the book. Some of these diets I had no success with, some moderate, and some great! But all the time, and all my own fault, I have put it back on :(

I have only been doing this Dukan Diet for 3 days, even though I bought the book about a month ago! I wanted to make sure I didn't just 'jump in' without really knowing what I was doing. I wanted to read this book properly and really understand it's concept.

The diet is split into 4 phases, Attack, Cruise, Stabilisation and Consolidation. Obviously only having been on it for 3 days, I can't talk about the last two parts, or their effectiveness, but the first two I can most definitely comment on!

Attack at first glance is very similar to the Atkins Diet. until you realise that Dr Dukan is only telling you to eat HEALTHY cuts of meat, unlike Dr Atkins who advocated eating all meats, cheeses, creams, anything no matter how high the fat content. Dr Dukan only wants you to eat lean cuts of meat, poultry, fish and pretty much all non or very low fat dairy products. Cheese and cream are out, as are oils of any kind. This might sound harsh, but come on, it's only for about 5 days depending on how much weight you want to lose! Is that such a price to pay to kick start your diet?

Typically you can eat non fat yoghurts (even fruit ones like Mullerlights!) Cottage Cheese, Quark, Skimmed Milk, Fromage Frais, and all the lean proteins mentioned above. You can also eat eggs quite happily (minus the yolk if you are prone to high cholesterol) and all herbs and spices are freely available. He also 'prescribes' oat bran galettes (basically a pancake) because of the roughage they provide to your diet. They are quick and easy to make and really are filling, they do a great job!

In the 3 days I have been doing this diet, I have so far lost 5.5lb's! I am realistic, a lot of this is water, you can't lose that much fat so fast! Don't kid yourself! But weightloss is a state of mind as much as anything, and to see the number on the scales going down is inspiration to keep going!

Phase 2, the Cruise Phase, is very similar to my favourite diet of all time, and the one with which I had the greatest success, The South Beach Diet. On this phase, you can reintroduce certain vegetables to eat with your proteins, and the idea is that you alternate a day of Attack and a day of Cruise. I can really see this working. The South Beach Diet is a really wonderful diet and I had amazing success with it, but I have stopped and started with it so many times, the initial phase has sadly lost it's effectiveness. My biggest downfall, and I am being honest for the sake of this review, is alcohol. Just stop drinking and you will see weight start to fall off. It is one of the biggest causes of weight problems. I am NOT an alcoholic, just to set the record straight! but I do enjoy a glass of wine, or two, or um, three! And it adds up! You have to decide which you want more, to be slim, or to eat and drink all you want and stay, shall we say, larger than you wish you were?

South Beach does allow use of low fat cheeses, something this diet does not, not until Phase 3. But if you want some great recipe ideas, you can happily use a lot of the recipes from SB on this diet plan, they work together very well. There is a Dukan Diet Recipe Book due out in September, but why wait when SB has lots of books available?

In another review, someone mentions the use of Aspartame and the possible carcinogenic side effects. All I can say is, and this is purely my opinion, if Diet Coke and all the other products that contain Aspartame were so bad, they would have been taken off the shelves by now, or be using an alternative sweetener. Or it would only be sold to over 18's, like cigarette's and alcohol. If this does bother you, there is absolutely no reason why you cannot use another sweetener of your choice!

Dr Dukan also 'prescribes' that you walk for 20 minutes every day. He says it is not optional, you MUST do it! Well of course, a book cannot make you do anything, it is down to your own willpower to get up off your butt and move! But it is sound advice. Dr Agatston of the South Beach Diet recommends the same. It is only common sense. We all know deep down that the best way to lose weight is to eat less and move more. But in todays world, life is pretty sedentary, and us humans don't move about like we used to! So we need to make the effort!

Phase 3 reintroduces breads, fruits, cheeses, etc, but in limited quanitities. You don't suddenly want your body to go into celebration mode and pile back on all you have lost! It recommends doing phase 3 at the rate of 5 days for every pound lost. I cannot say if this works, but in theory it sounds good!

Phase 4 is the final phase, where you can pretty much eat and drink all your favourite things, but for one day a week, you go back to Attack. You also continue to move (that 20 minute walk!) and continue to eat oat bran every day. These are the three rules of the Dukan diet that PROMISE you WILL keep the weight off. If it works, what's not to like about that?

As I said, I have not been doing this diet long, but I believe it has given me the kick start that my smarty pants all too clever body needed to shock it into losing weight again! And from Friday on, I can bring back the veggies and know that the weight WILL continue to come off! Don't cheat, you'll only be cheating yourself. Stick at it and the rewards are there to be reaped :)

The only reason I have given this book 4 stars is because some of it is a bit confusing, I think a bit of a translation problem. And also, the recipes are a bit hit and miss, I am not too sure that whoever devised them actually tried them before they got published! The floating islands are vile, and we tried a chicken dish the other night that curdled! So best to try some ideas of your own or from the South Beach books.

Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr Dukan did it for me......., 21 Sept. 2010
This review is from: The Dukan Diet (Paperback)
First the book - yes, arrived in jet speed time from Amazon as with all books. Can't fault it. Yes, I suppose the text can seem a tad repetitive but I think he's just trying to ensure the messages get into our subconcious on every level. No need for me to go into the 4 stages - lots of other reviews have done that (you almost don't need to buy the book!). Would I recommend this - most definately. Because it works - but you have to work as well. It ain't no miracle cure.

Look, I'm a 54 year old female, so menopausal okay! And we gals know that wherever Mrs Menopause goes, weight gain tags along behind (in more ways than one!). Six weeks ago standing at 5ft 3ins and weighing 11st 5lb - not a good look, trust me. Size 14 heading for a size 16, aaargh noooooo. Six weeks ago caught sight of Dr Dukan on Amazon, read the reviews. Six weeks later - having to go out a buy size 12 trousers cos all my size 14 are drowning me! Okay so I didn't have a lot to lose but in some ways that's more difficult. Like most of us I've tried all sorts of diets in all the decades since the 70's. Yes you do lose some weight, stagnate and then give up and on go the pounds again. Believe me:

THIS IS DIFFERENT: THIS WORKS:

I've not once been hungry, never been bored, no cravings and no calorie counting. I don't miss bread, rice, pasta nor potatoes. Never felt ill! and I absolutely love my half hour walk every evening - my time, my space. And I feel wonderful.

But to me now - this is not a diet but a way of life. I have complete confidence in being able to maintain my ideal weight and still enjoy good meals, eating out and even chocolate! I am not on a diet - I have found a new way of living with food. Try bolognese with a lovely green savoy cabbage - absolutely beautiful.

Trust me - this works.

PS: I've lost 12lbs in six weeks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr Dukan, 22 May 2010
R. Wileman "rosie" (U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dukan Diet (Paperback)
At last, a diet that works for me. I thought it would be harder, but I knew I had to give it a try. Quick results meant I am keeping going and have lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks and feel much better for it. It's a sensible, steady loss and I find it easy to stick to the diet, with the odd blip - I have had to introduce prunes to my diet, though - be warned!

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC FANTASTIC FANTASTIC, 13 May 2010
This review is from: The Dukan Diet (Paperback)
Also saw this diet by accident in the Daily Mail and book came earlier than expected from Amazon. The book is very well laid out and easy to read. The author explains in full how the different types of food work in our bodies. It is an inspiring read.

Now for the diet, i have been on it for 9 days now and i have lost 5 1bs which is just over 2kg and considering that i don't have that much to lose, it is a good amount. I am never hungry as you can eat unlimited quantities of certain foods. As the author says, you have to focus on what you can eat and not what you can't. I have been spreading the word about this diet. Highly recommended, great book, great diet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Listen to the hype! Not the doom., 21 July 2011
This review is from: The Dukan Diet (Paperback)
I'm a healthy weight but recently I've noticed that I'm heavier than I feel comfortable with. I heard about this diet when - following injury that prevented the increase of my exercise schedule - I was looking for a quick fix launch pad. I'm 10 days in and hoping to get from 11ish stone to 10ish stone (I'm 5"9 female mid20s). I have to say that I've found this pretty easy so far and so I wondered what people were saying about it. I've just read the negative reviews and I want to add my twopence because although this obviously isn't for everyone I wouldn't want anyone to be put off by horror stories.

If you feel a bit headachey and rubbish in the first couple of days it's because the pure protein in the attack phase is eliminating your sugar. It's like getting over an addiction cold turkey. Once you're over that hill you'll actually feel better than you did before and once you've detoxed on sugar you will stop being hungry for it (sugar actually increases your appetite generally anyway). Totally worth it and worst case scenario very easy to handle with some nuerofen and lots of water.

If you might be prone to constipation or fear it take some fibre supplements in the protein stage and then choose fibre rich veggies. Does not have to be an issue at all.

If you miss veggies or lack will power just pay closer attention to the pounds and inches falling off you. Not many diets give you results you can see so quickly. I find that changes in the gym take about 3 weeks to show too. The period of extreme protein is not long. And you can see it working. It is worth it and you can do it.

You can eat as much as you want - yes it's certain foods but there are so many options - you shouldn't be at all hungry. Drink loads of water.

While I can't comment on the longevity of the weight loss achieved on this yet I think that anyone with sense would know that rapid weight loss needs to be maintained carefully. One reviewer said they lost 4 stone in 4 months and then gained 5 in 5. Would you not stop at one stone and hit the start of the diet again for a week? When you get buff perhaps hit the gym and absolutely watch the portions to look after the new you.

Ultimately though dieting isn't a piece of cake, nor should it be. Think about how many easy moments took you to this place. In my experience this is about as simple as it gets. I know that I already look and feel better than I did just over a week ago and I wouldn't say it's been a struggle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still can't quite believe it..., 21 May 2010
Raines (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dukan Diet (Paperback)
I love my steak and seafood, and since moving here, have acquired an annoying habit of dropping by the 20 million pastry shops that I seem to pass by on a regular basis. The lack of sun seem to equate with more indoor endeavours. Exercise and active pursuits have pretty much dropped down to zero, generally feel lethargic and it's getting harder and harder to get out of bed in the morning. Not surprisingly, the weight crept up. Could probably have turned into a complete balloon if not for my genes (thanks, mom and dad). Tried to cut down the food, eat more 'healthy salads' and become more active. Not much of a veges person in the first place. Cutting down treats and forcing myself to eat what I don't like was never a recipe for success. I think the longest I lasted was probably a day and a half. And shocker (!!), didn't even get close to 'that run' or 'that gym' I was going to join at 'some point' never!!

Read about this diet in The Times. On first glance, seem similar to Atkins but doesn't have the 'ick' factor of increasing my risk of dying of a heart attack by age 35. Book was on sale and going on holiday with a bunch of old very svelte friends! Well explained and logical. I like meat anyway - so, do-able (which is more important). Got a log book, stocked my fridge and forged on with determination. Lost 4 pounds on day 2 - weighed myself about 5 times just to make sure. Felt quite energetic and getting up in the morning is not the 1 hour ordeal like before. Lost another 5 pounds on day 3 (I thought the scales was broken by that point and weighed myself at work AND at some random shop). Felt hyped up by progress and spurred me on. Never felt like cheating and the weight continues to melt off. So for me - amazing result.

UPDATE 4 April '11: Loving this diet! For me, quite easy to follow and maintain as I do like my steak. Very quicky reached my ideal calculated weight - actually, too quickly, so I had to fast forward the phases a bit. No craving for sweets at all. I DID go off the rails at Christmas (shocker!!) and not surprisingly, all the annoying bad habits and cravings came back, with all its stupid side effects. Nip it in the bud quickly, restarted on phase 2 and all is good. Makes you very aware of the stuff you put in your mouth and live a healthier lifestyle.

5.0 out of 5 stars For all those women in their 40's/50's struggling to lose weight, 5 Aug. 2010
This review is from: The Dukan Diet (Paperback)
Doing this review for all women in their 40's/50's who when following a diet the weight loss is that little you end up giving up. I am now 44 and have been on most diets known to man. I originally had great success with Atkins in my 30's but despite following it to the letter for several weeks the scales barely changed. This was despite going the gym 3 times a week.
The good news is that the Duken diet works. I have gone from 11stone 11lb to 11stone 2lb in three weeks. Can't tell you how great it is to see the scales move. He refers several times to how difficult it is for women in their 40's to lose weight and explains why that is, but says his diet will work.
Obviously the success will be keeping it off, but up to now I have every faith in his methods and am hoping by following his long term strategy will not only lose more weight but also keep it off.
WOULD DEFINITELY RECOMMEND.

5.0 out of 5 stars It really works!!!!, 3 July 2011
This review is from: The Dukan Diet (Paperback)
Like many others I have struggled with my weight since childhood; I am now 42, I have had 5 children and enjoy food (cake). I am quite tall at 5.10ft. My weight was 15 stone but I put on a further 2 and 1/2 when I quit smoking. At 17 and 1/2 something had to be done. I read the reviews and thought I'd give it a go. I started Feb 15th 2011, it is now July 3rd 2011 and I have lost 3 stone 11 so far, my 'true weight' was given as 12.6 but I think I'll stop at 13 which means I have about 10 pound more to lose. I have found the diet really easy to follow and am so glad that I haven't quit thus far. I am determined not to put it back on, so will definately do all four stages of the Dukan programme. I recommend this solution to everyone. It still requires will power but it's worth it.

The Dukan Diet
The Dukan Diet by Pierre Dukan (Paperback - 13 May 2010)
Used & New from: £0.01