1,036 of 1,050 people found the following review helpful
on 17 June 2010
I'm really glad I bought this book.
I am on the Dukan Diet and was eager to start it based on website reviews. However, while there is a lot of free information out there about the diet, none of the information was complete or even completely accurate. Many sites that claim to give you the facts on the diet actually contradict each other, and so after sorting through it all, I ended up with more questions than answers. The diet is new here, making its way from France and the UK mostly by rumor and word of mouth. The official website is not yet fully functional.

If you are not completely familiar with the diet it consists of 4 phases.(I will simplify here:) The first phase lasts an average of 5 days and is nothing but lean protein and water. The second is alternating days of protein only days and protein plus vegetable days and this phase lasts until you are at your goal weight. Phase three is where you continue as in phase two but add in specific foods to your diet (bread, cheese, fruit)and get "celebratory meals" 2x a week. The final phase is where you eat whatever you want everyday except Thursday which is a protein only day. This is for life. Those are the basics in a nutshell - but there is a lot more to know about what is allowed or not allowed and it is well-laid out in the book. Sticking to these foods, you can eat as much as you want whenever you want - and don't worry, there are plenty.

The book took a while to get here but it was worth the wait. Despite the language differences, it is well-written and very easy to understand. The diet seems to be well structured and the reasoning and science is well-explained and easy to "get". It also addresses specific issues that women face when trying to lose weight - which has been a question mark in other diets. The book has some recipes, a few I really like and rely on, some that just don't cut it for me. After the first 5 days you can really get creative with allowed foods, so its not a big deal.

In all, the diet is easy to understand, grasp and follow. In my opinion as a lifelong dieter, this will be my last. I am in my late 40's, have lost 10 pounds in about 3 weeks and feel comfortable in that I will be able to easily stick to subsequent phases that will prevent me from re-gaining the weight. This is largely due to the fact that you continue to see results on the scale even after the first week of losing water weight. (Unlike Atkins where I dropped the weight and then had little patience or will power to follow through with the latter phases.)

Having the book has allowed me to follow the diet accurately, so it works more efficiently. I am not hungry between meals and my energy level is high.
I suggest getting the book if you are serious about being on this diet.
3232 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 August 2011
Felt the urge to write this review to share my own personal experience of this diet and this book.
I saw a colleague a while back now and thought she must be ill as she had lost such a lot of weight so quickly. It is then that I was introduced to this book.
Perhaps you have heard and read loads of negative stuff about this book. My advice is just to ignore all these scaremongering people; who are normally size 10 and quite happy to see you stay at your size 14 or more!
I am a women over forty; fast approaching fifty with two kids. Was I fat; yes; obese; no not really but those size 14 clothes were starting to feel tightish and I was not one bit happy with my chunky look, chunky arms; mumsy look; almost felt well there was nothing to do about it; with age; with the kids.
I am not an enormous eater but picking here and there had put on 10 kg, about one and a half stone in weight over eight years.
So got the book and started. The first day was quite hard as I don't eat red meat; just chicken fish and eggs and I did feel hungry
Followed the first part of the plan for five days; lost weight
Then the second part of the plan; lost more weight
Now on the third consolidation part of the plan
Still losing weight. Now lost one and a half stone reasonably simply I would say
and back to my nine and a half stone look; look skinny almost; feel light and healthy.
What I would say is buy this book if you are serious about getting back to a normal weight. If you are over forty with kids it is perfect. You can and will lose weight
and if; and this is very important; IF you are prepared to follow the plan to a tee; drink the water; eat the oat bran; I make a porridge in the morning; walk; not everyday if you dont want but a few times a week; don't cheat and just hold your head up high and get on with it you will definitely losee weight and keep it off; good luck. Fat and forty - buy this book!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 July 2010
Right oh, having read lots of the reviews for this book, some great, some scathing, I decided to write my own review which I hope will help people decide if this is the book they want to follow or not.

First off, I am (unfortunately) a yo-yo dieter. I have tried pretty much everything out there, Atkins, Slimming World, Slim Fast, Weight Watchers, the GI Diet, The Holford Diet, Somersizing, you name it, I have the book. Some of these diets I had no success with, some moderate, and some great! But all the time, and all my own fault, I have put it back on :(

I have only been doing this Dukan Diet for 3 days, even though I bought the book about a month ago! I wanted to make sure I didn't just 'jump in' without really knowing what I was doing. I wanted to read this book properly and really understand it's concept.

The diet is split into 4 phases, Attack, Cruise, Stabilisation and Consolidation. Obviously only having been on it for 3 days, I can't talk about the last two parts, or their effectiveness, but the first two I can most definitely comment on!

Attack at first glance is very similar to the Atkins Diet. until you realise that Dr Dukan is only telling you to eat HEALTHY cuts of meat, unlike Dr Atkins who advocated eating all meats, cheeses, creams, anything no matter how high the fat content. Dr Dukan only wants you to eat lean cuts of meat, poultry, fish and pretty much all non or very low fat dairy products. Cheese and cream are out, as are oils of any kind. This might sound harsh, but come on, it's only for about 5 days depending on how much weight you want to lose! Is that such a price to pay to kick start your diet?

Typically you can eat non fat yoghurts (even fruit ones like Mullerlights!) Cottage Cheese, Quark, Skimmed Milk, Fromage Frais, and all the lean proteins mentioned above. You can also eat eggs quite happily (minus the yolk if you are prone to high cholesterol) and all herbs and spices are freely available. He also 'prescribes' oat bran galettes (basically a pancake) because of the roughage they provide to your diet. They are quick and easy to make and really are filling, they do a great job!

In the 3 days I have been doing this diet, I have so far lost 5.5lb's! I am realistic, a lot of this is water, you can't lose that much fat so fast! Don't kid yourself! But weightloss is a state of mind as much as anything, and to see the number on the scales going down is inspiration to keep going!

Phase 2, the Cruise Phase, is very similar to my favourite diet of all time, and the one with which I had the greatest success, The South Beach Diet. On this phase, you can reintroduce certain vegetables to eat with your proteins, and the idea is that you alternate a day of Attack and a day of Cruise. I can really see this working. The South Beach Diet is a really wonderful diet and I had amazing success with it, but I have stopped and started with it so many times, the initial phase has sadly lost it's effectiveness. My biggest downfall, and I am being honest for the sake of this review, is alcohol. Just stop drinking and you will see weight start to fall off. It is one of the biggest causes of weight problems. I am NOT an alcoholic, just to set the record straight! but I do enjoy a glass of wine, or two, or um, three! And it adds up! You have to decide which you want more, to be slim, or to eat and drink all you want and stay, shall we say, larger than you wish you were?

South Beach does allow use of low fat cheeses, something this diet does not, not until Phase 3. But if you want some great recipe ideas, you can happily use a lot of the recipes from SB on this diet plan, they work together very well. There is a Dukan Diet Recipe Book due out in September, but why wait when SB has lots of books available?

In another review, someone mentions the use of Aspartame and the possible carcinogenic side effects. All I can say is, and this is purely my opinion, if Diet Coke and all the other products that contain Aspartame were so bad, they would have been taken off the shelves by now, or be using an alternative sweetener. Or it would only be sold to over 18's, like cigarette's and alcohol. If this does bother you, there is absolutely no reason why you cannot use another sweetener of your choice!

Dr Dukan also 'prescribes' that you walk for 20 minutes every day. He says it is not optional, you MUST do it! Well of course, a book cannot make you do anything, it is down to your own willpower to get up off your butt and move! But it is sound advice. Dr Agatston of the South Beach Diet recommends the same. It is only common sense. We all know deep down that the best way to lose weight is to eat less and move more. But in todays world, life is pretty sedentary, and us humans don't move about like we used to! So we need to make the effort!

Phase 3 reintroduces breads, fruits, cheeses, etc, but in limited quanitities. You don't suddenly want your body to go into celebration mode and pile back on all you have lost! It recommends doing phase 3 at the rate of 5 days for every pound lost. I cannot say if this works, but in theory it sounds good!

Phase 4 is the final phase, where you can pretty much eat and drink all your favourite things, but for one day a week, you go back to Attack. You also continue to move (that 20 minute walk!) and continue to eat oat bran every day. These are the three rules of the Dukan diet that PROMISE you WILL keep the weight off. If it works, what's not to like about that?

As I said, I have not been doing this diet long, but I believe it has given me the kick start that my smarty pants all too clever body needed to shock it into losing weight again! And from Friday on, I can bring back the veggies and know that the weight WILL continue to come off! Don't cheat, you'll only be cheating yourself. Stick at it and the rewards are there to be reaped :)

The only reason I have given this book 4 stars is because some of it is a bit confusing, I think a bit of a translation problem. And also, the recipes are a bit hit and miss, I am not too sure that whoever devised them actually tried them before they got published! The floating islands are vile, and we tried a chicken dish the other night that curdled! So best to try some ideas of your own or from the South Beach books.

Good luck!
2020 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 June 2013
It is fantastic, it really does work. I have gone from size 16 to size 12 in 10 weeks losing 22lb. I have stuck to it rigidly and never cheated once. Drank lots and lots of water and been going for a 3 mile way daily. Dont get me wrong you have to work at it and I would never tell anyone it is easer but just seeing the change in your body shape and the pounds dropping off is more than enough incentive to carry on. If you are strict and do not deviate from the plan you should be successful. My son is getting married in two weeks and that was my incentive I can feel confident and know I look good instead of being self consious and feeling uncomfortable on the big day. It has changed my life. I have thrown all my old clothes out and there if no going back I feel a different person. Go on give it a try and best of luck
on 31 May 2014
I've never dieted before, but, since having a thyroidectomy in 2007 to cure Grave's disease (which causes an overactive thyroid) the weight has crept on. I've just been eating too much. I've been in denial for a long time. There is no quick fix, and I've tried "eating healthily" and exercising, but it doesn't last. There's always something! "Just one more helping!""Just this once!" are common excuses. Well, no more! I asked my doc for advice and she pointed me to the Dukan diet.

The book is long winded and repetitive, but it doesn't matter, because it's easy enough to skim. You can have tea!!!! With 0% fat milk, but, still, it's better than plain ol' tap water! It's easy to follow because you're not hungry at any time. Chew gum to combat the bad taste in your mouth, stock the fridge with a ton of protein and salad, and watch your weight drop. I was in holiday in France last week which was a bit of a struggle, so I had protein and salad every day instead of alternate days; I also had a glass of wine a day. Despite this, I've still continued to lose weight. I've lost 7kg in 7 weeks.

UPDATE: 12.2kg in 13 weeks.
UPDATE: 17kg in 22 weeks.
on 22 August 2011
I've been on the Dukan diet for 5 weeks now, and have pretty much followed it to the letter.

I've been on more diets than I can count in the past, and usually manage to lose a few pounds - sometimes even a stone - but never been able to stick with them.

This diet is restrictive - I've not had bread or potatoes for 5 weeks, which is hard for me! - but then the nature of a diet is that it will be restrictive in some way.

I have to admit that I'm not convinced that what amounts to a protein only diet, then a purely protein + some veg diet is a good way to eat in the long term. However, unlike some diets, one of the things that did strike me as sensible is that this diet does - eventually - re-introduce all the food groups. In phase 3, the things that I've missed will be back in - in moderation.

I've read other reviews saying that the diet seems a bit mad and a bit random, but on the whole it strikes me as being quite sensible. 2 litres of water per day, exercise every day - these aren't anything other than good sound advice.

So, the proof of the pudding will be in the eating, if that's not a poor metaphor for a diet! So far, after 5 weeks, I've lost 2 stones, and I'm delighted with that. But, I'm also very conscious that even when I've lost the weight, it has to stay off, so it's too early to judge the overall success.

But - so far, so very good.
on 21 July 2011
I'm a healthy weight but recently I've noticed that I'm heavier than I feel comfortable with. I heard about this diet when - following injury that prevented the increase of my exercise schedule - I was looking for a quick fix launch pad. I'm 10 days in and hoping to get from 11ish stone to 10ish stone (I'm 5"9 female mid20s). I have to say that I've found this pretty easy so far and so I wondered what people were saying about it. I've just read the negative reviews and I want to add my twopence because although this obviously isn't for everyone I wouldn't want anyone to be put off by horror stories.

If you feel a bit headachey and rubbish in the first couple of days it's because the pure protein in the attack phase is eliminating your sugar. It's like getting over an addiction cold turkey. Once you're over that hill you'll actually feel better than you did before and once you've detoxed on sugar you will stop being hungry for it (sugar actually increases your appetite generally anyway). Totally worth it and worst case scenario very easy to handle with some nuerofen and lots of water.

If you might be prone to constipation or fear it take some fibre supplements in the protein stage and then choose fibre rich veggies. Does not have to be an issue at all.

If you miss veggies or lack will power just pay closer attention to the pounds and inches falling off you. Not many diets give you results you can see so quickly. I find that changes in the gym take about 3 weeks to show too. The period of extreme protein is not long. And you can see it working. It is worth it and you can do it.

You can eat as much as you want - yes it's certain foods but there are so many options - you shouldn't be at all hungry. Drink loads of water.

While I can't comment on the longevity of the weight loss achieved on this yet I think that anyone with sense would know that rapid weight loss needs to be maintained carefully. One reviewer said they lost 4 stone in 4 months and then gained 5 in 5. Would you not stop at one stone and hit the start of the diet again for a week? When you get buff perhaps hit the gym and absolutely watch the portions to look after the new you.

Ultimately though dieting isn't a piece of cake, nor should it be. Think about how many easy moments took you to this place. In my experience this is about as simple as it gets. I know that I already look and feel better than I did just over a week ago and I wouldn't say it's been a struggle.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 April 2010
I started this diet after seeing it previewed in a national newspaper very recently. I pre-ordered the book which arrived earlier than expected. I have to say that I am impressed with the book and the diet. After a week on the first stage I lost 5 pound, and even my swollen ankles had disappeared. I feel really well and haven't had any negative side effects at all. I am now on the 2nd stage and finding it much easier to stick to than anything else I have tried.
The book is great (I haven't completely read through yet) easy to read, user friendly and jargon free. The text is a good size. After reading it through it will be easy to revisit certain parts as and when necessary.
I don't think a receipe section is completely necessary, as it is very easy to put together meals with the allowed foods without much planning or thought. I can honestly say I haven't felt hungry since starting this plan nor have I had any cravings at all. I do think that this way of eating makes real sense and it will be easy to make it a way of life in future. I feel really postive about it and am enjoying feeling much healthier.
I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone who wants to lose weight without starving themselves!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 September 2010
First the book - yes, arrived in jet speed time from Amazon as with all books. Can't fault it. Yes, I suppose the text can seem a tad repetitive but I think he's just trying to ensure the messages get into our subconcious on every level. No need for me to go into the 4 stages - lots of other reviews have done that (you almost don't need to buy the book!). Would I recommend this - most definately. Because it works - but you have to work as well. It ain't no miracle cure.

Look, I'm a 54 year old female, so menopausal okay! And we gals know that wherever Mrs Menopause goes, weight gain tags along behind (in more ways than one!). Six weeks ago standing at 5ft 3ins and weighing 11st 5lb - not a good look, trust me. Size 14 heading for a size 16, aaargh noooooo. Six weeks ago caught sight of Dr Dukan on Amazon, read the reviews. Six weeks later - having to go out a buy size 12 trousers cos all my size 14 are drowning me! Okay so I didn't have a lot to lose but in some ways that's more difficult. Like most of us I've tried all sorts of diets in all the decades since the 70's. Yes you do lose some weight, stagnate and then give up and on go the pounds again. Believe me:

I've not once been hungry, never been bored, no cravings and no calorie counting. I don't miss bread, rice, pasta nor potatoes. Never felt ill! and I absolutely love my half hour walk every evening - my time, my space. And I feel wonderful.

But to me now - this is not a diet but a way of life. I have complete confidence in being able to maintain my ideal weight and still enjoy good meals, eating out and even chocolate! I am not on a diet - I have found a new way of living with food. Try bolognese with a lovely green savoy cabbage - absolutely beautiful.

Trust me - this works.

PS: I've lost 12lbs in six weeks.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 March 2011
I never had to diet before but suddenly, it seems, here I am in my mid 50's and I need to lose 30 lbs.

After a bit of a scare last year my spouse's cardiologist recommended this plan. He said it is being followed successfully by a lot of his patients in Vancouver.

We thought it would be easier on both of us to lose weight together. So far, at the end of week one we've just completed the Attack phase and have lost 10 lbs each. And we're still talking to each other.

The book is clear and easy to follow.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse