Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 May 2012
Where do i even begin to start about what i truly think of this novel?
I first saw the film version with David Soul and i LOVED it and as i LOVE reading anyway i wanted to get the book and when i started to read 'Salem's Lot' i just couldn't put it down. From start to finish i was biting my nails.
The novel is about a writer who returns to a place called Jerusalem's Lot (Salem's Lot) where he grew up with an aunt - Up on a hill looking down on Salem's Lot is a very creepy old house called 'The Marsten house' and its because of this house that the writer returns. The Marsten place holds alot of haunted memories for the writer because when he was a young boy he went up to the house on a dare and what he saw in the house as stayed with him. Now that he has come back to salem's lot he learns that the Marsten house has new owners ....One no-one has seen, the other one opens an anque (sorry for spelling) shop along with the unseen person and then a local child goes missing and that missing child starts the horror that comes to Salem's Lot. I just LOVE this book and i would ask anyone to read it especially at night.
I don't want to spoil the rest of what happens in salem's lot but! if you read this fantastic novel you like me will be hooked. Please enjoy. This novel is worth far more than just 5 wee stars.LOVE ye Stephen King
on 14 January 2013
Salem's lot Book Review:

Stephen King has always been my favourite horror writer ever since the day I opened "The Shining".
Stephen King is a prolific fiction writer.

Stephen King has managed to make a subject that has become a teenage girl's fantasy read and turn it into what it was and should always be, pure terror.

In Salem's lot, Stephen King addresses many issues but mainly the fact that in a quiet town with not many tourists, anything could happen and no one would notice.

Ben Mears, a young author has returned to his home town to write a novel on a house that was the focus of many childhood nightmares.
He soons find out that although the Marsden House's previous owners are all long since dead there is a new evil lurking there, and its worse than he ever could have imagined.
He and a group of friends must save Salems lot and turn it back into the town it once was.

This book has left me angered, tearful and to be perfectly honest wishing I could just put it down for a few minutes.

In Conclusion, you should open this book with a clear mind and not expect anything like twilight etc.
It really is a brilliant book, but if you are easily drawn into books (Hook, line and sinker!) I suggest you set aside a period of time where nothing has to be done. A brilliant read and a brilliant author.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 June 2016
This is an outstanding horror novel. It's a slow burner, that ratchets up the tension. A master vampire slowly takes over an isolated town. King wrote the novel in the mid seventies when America was coming to terms with Vietnam, Watergate and recession, so the themes of paranoia and creeping collapse are evident. King also deals with his favourite topics, such as decaying Americana, under achievers, alcoholism. He also explores the concept of returning home, especially to face "ghosts" from the past. If you read other King novels then these themes are very familiar. Also, another interesting observation (in my opinion) is that there is less of the chatty, folksiness in this novel than in subsequent ones and more prosaic descriptions. Possibly and probably this is because it was his second novel. One last point to make, watch the first Salem's Lot miniseries with David Soul, it scared the bejaysus out of me.
on 6 March 2016
I would love to have given this 5 stars as this story really is King at his best. However, it is severely let down by the proof readers at the publishing house. There are major typos on average every five pages. Some are spelling mistakes, others wrong words, and often character names are misspelled or contain strange letter formations. I was quite surprised by what I thought was such a reputable publishing house. Although these ubiquitous mistakes don't let down the overal story, they do stop the reader in their tracks. At one point I read for a few pages thinking a new character had been introduced and I'd missed something only to realise the name was incorrect.
on 18 February 2015
Looking for a horror novel? This is a pretty good place to start. This is a proper vampire novel too, not like other rubbish vampire novels out there that have nothing to do with horror.
The best thing about this book is how normal and realistic it all seems. In a small fictitious town that seems so real adds to the idea that this could actually happen of be happening. I found Part One of the book a little hard going at times but perseverance pays off. I wouldn't say this was as good as Cujo, the only other Stephen King novel I've read, but you really can't go wrong with Salem's Lot.
on 18 May 2014
How could it be anything else but brilliant. I had me gripped on every page. It was scary but also so well written. How can you not like Stephen King?
on 12 June 2016
This is the benchmark by which all modern vampire tales must aspire to. The story is superbly laid out. Small isolated town, somewhat cut off from the rest of the state, becomes infected with vampires. Kings way of story telling draws you into the pages and the characters alike. The fact that this was only his second book is very impressive. I can honestly not find anything about Salem's Lot that I did not like. Wonderful.
on 7 December 2013
I am a Stephen King's fan. I started reading his books translated into Spanish ( that is, of course, because I am Spanish ;-)). After so many years, I decided to read them all in English. I am reading this first one, for starters. And I have to say it is still delightful, and somehow scary, as the first time I read it, so many years ago; when I was merely a teenger.
on 29 July 2014
I really enjoyed this book and I think it's one of King's better books. I had a nightmare one night about vampires whilst reading this. As with all Stephen King books I loved how the story was brought to life with his fantastic descriptions, my only criticism is the large number of typos in this edition. That aside I would definitely recommend 'salem's lot!
on 8 February 2015
The was one of the first Stephen King books I read in 1990. Not as good as The Stand, but better then some of his others from this period. You have to remember that this was the only Vampire book really out there at this time that continued the genre during its quiet time, bringing vampires into the modern world....look what has happened since.