It

5.0 out of 5 stars A world in itself
First of all, I would like to point out that I am neither an avid Stephen King nor a horror fan. I've read some of his books, and found them all fairly enjoyable. "It" is the only one of his books that enthralled, captivated, and mesmerized me. It is his absolute masterpiece and stands by itself. The story has already been abundantly described by other...
Published on 19 Sep 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not his best!
I do enjoy SKs books and own many, my favourite being Christine as it was the first one I read! I found this book quite disappointing though.

It took a while to get into as a lot of things were so detailed, drawn out and sometimes seemed pointless! I carried on reading as I enjoyed the TV series and if I hadn't have already seen that I probably wouldn't have...
Published 4 months ago by Joanne

‹ Previous | 127 28 29 30 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars ... have never before read a book that is so boring as this in my life, 8 Aug 2014
This review is from: It (Kindle Edition)
I have never before read a book that is so boring as this in my life. It just goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on.............
You could knock this book down to half its size if SK dispensed with hours of pointless nothingness, and drivel.
Stick to the film, it to the point and yo willl save hours of you life for other things.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 9 May 2013
jfbear (Manchester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It (Paperback)
I have tried so hard to like this book.
Friends whose literary appreciation I respect told me that this was Stephen King's best.
I read two other novels by him, as recommended, to get into his style before I read it.

I tried for 1,376 pages, determined to see it through.
But I don't like it.
I understand Fiona Webster's comment above and wished I could have had to ability to "develop mental filters for King's sloppy storytelling to tune out the repetitions and silliness"

Despite the colourful language describing them, the monsters, human and imaginary, failed to scare me.
It wasn't boring - it was just ultimately...dull. Perhaps if it had just been one novel, instead of several rolled into one, it would have felt more worthwhile. But that is Mr King's style. And as the other reviews demonstrate, there are readers out there who love it.
Not this one, I'm afraid.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stephen King - IT, 11 July 2009
This review is from: It (Paperback)
This book failed to live up to my expectations. In my opinion the book spends too much time exploring the childhood of the main characters and not enough time dealing with the reunion of the adults and the eventual final confrontation with their childhood nemesis. At times it is a little dull and I found myself hanging in there as opposed to finding it a real page turner. There is perhaps too much going on at any time in terms of character development, a large part of this is incidental to the story ... I was expecting Tom to play more of a part after he travelled 3000 miles for a confrontation with Bev...instead he fizzled out.

I found the ending weak, not the first time I have thought that after reading a SK book, could a being that had existed for a millenium really be killed so easily? And what to say about the group sex scene involving seven 11 year olds. It was completely unnecessary within the context of the book and detracted from the characters involved. To hint at it was bad enough but to then spend several pages decribing the scene in detail was unwelcome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Synopsis from rear cover, 18 Jan 2010
This review is from: It (Paperback)
To the children, the town was their whole world. To the adults, knowing better, Derry, Maine was just their home town: familiar, well-ordered for the most part. A gppd place to live.

It was the children who saw, and felt, what made Derry so horribly different. In the storm drains, in the sewers, IT lurked, taking on the shape of every nightmare, each one's deepest dread. Sometimes It reached up seizing, rearing, killing....

The adults, knowing better, knew nothing.

Time passsed and the children grew up, moved away. The horror of IT was deep-buried, wrapped in forgetfulness. Until they were called back, once more to confront IT as it stirred and coiled in the sullen depths of their memories, reaching up again to make their past nightmares a terrible present reality.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite stories, 22 July 2010
This review is from: It (Paperback)
IT has been always a book I've wanted to read, I'm fan of this story since young.

2.0 out of 5 stars Overly long and rather gratuitous, 16 Dec 2010
Miss Moezzi "Stella B" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It (Paperback)
I've always loved the TV adaptation of 'IT' and wanted to read the book. I have to say I was pretty disappointed. Stephen King takes far to long to describe the simplest scenes and this has a dragging effect on the story that detracts from the suspense and horror that (I think) he was trying to portray. I ended up getting lost regularly and wondering what on earth it all had to do with the plot. It could have been a lot sharper.

However, this is nothing to the mindless violence and cruelty by the people in the story. Pennywise frankly needs to up his game to compete. I can't help thinking SK has got a thinly-veiled misogynistic and animal-hating streak. The character of Beverley, Tom's revolting treatment of her and her self-degrading behaviour with the boys are served to us in such lavish, drawn-out detail that you really get the impression the author is enjoying himself. Likewise, the long, harrowing description of the evil bully, Henry Bowers, murdering Mike's dog by tricking it into thinking he's its friend and proceeding to feed it poison. This upset me so much, I almost stopped reading. I fail to fit these things into the context of the horror story about 'IT' and I think SK should have decided what he was actually writing about. Overall, I think I'll be sticking with the film version.

5.0 out of 5 stars It, 12 Jan 2010
Mrs. Marion Balderstone (England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It (Paperback)
I purchased this Stephen King for a friend and, whilst not being a fan of his, I can give it a 5 star rating because of the pleasure my friend felt in having been able to obtain a copy of a book she thought to be out of print! Also, having spoken to her recently, I now she is really enjoying reading "It".

3.0 out of 5 stars Big Book, 21 Oct 2013
This review is from: It (Paperback)
So far I have yet to start reading this book, as have been reading The Shining however delivery was fast and book in very good condition!

2.0 out of 5 stars IT, is not 'it', 27 Mar 2012
This review is from: It (Paperback)
I'll NEVER look at a clown in quite the same way again, this is one of the darkest books I've read, I enjoyed the story of Derry and various minor characters with their own stories, but I think theres too many surrealist tangents, several characters aren't developed and others overly so.

I got rather tired of this book towards the end and struggled to finish it

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant story....brilliant characters....awful ending, 17 April 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: It (Paperback)
The best King book by far but I can't believe no one mentioned the ending...its awful. This is brilliance until the weak finale....ran out of ideas I think.

‹ Previous | 127 28 29 30 | Next ›

It
It by Stephen King (Paperback - 12 May 2011)