Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 April 2009
Usually stephen king likes to do something different with his books, and dolores claiborne is no different. Be prepared to read from one cover to the other without a break.

I dont want to spoil the plot, so i wont say much. What i will tell you is that this book is one big long monologue by the character named by title. She is giving a statement to the police concerning a suspicious death, and to explain things she has to tell her life story, or at least the interesting parts of it. The book deals with the very grittiness of human nature, as usual for stephen king, and when you get into it it feels like you could be in the room with her.

What this book isnt is a horror or fantasy tale. There are no dark tower links and no randall flagg. This is all human nature. A good book and well worth reading.
on 10 May 2002
This novel is fantastic! After over a decade of reading Stephen King in sporadic bursts I finally decided to read the entire back catalogue back-to-back. Delores Claiborne never appealed to me before, as I prefer something with at least a brushing of the supernatural, but I thought I'd read it out of a desire for completeness. It turned out to be a pleasant surprise!

As I'm sure many Stephen King readers are aware, his books can sometimes take a couple of hundred pages to draw you into the story, before getting to 'the meat' of the tale. However, after 3 pages of Delores I couldn't put it down. One of the reasons for this is the fantastic narrative style employed, which introduces the lead character as much by her mannerisms of speech as anything else.
on 25 January 2009
First Steven King novel i ever read, as i found it in the charity shop for very cheap, i was expecting something supernatural, even though there wasn't i loved it. As soon as the story begins you have sympathy with Dolores and her children, and you hate her cruel, selfish pathetic drunk of a husband. Most of it is not very horrific but there are a few pages in the middle that are absolutely spine-chilling. Very satisfying and exciting book. Buy............
on 10 October 2011
A cleverly written story from a refreshingly different perspective. I liked the use of comedy (mainly the way the main character describes some of her experiences) which, if nothing else, prevents you from being made totally miserable by the not so funny, often quite tragic parts. This is one of King's non-supernatural stories where the only horror is that of real life and what people can do to each other. Nice little twist at the end too.
Dolores Claiborne is a housewife with problems. Stephen King gives us a window into her thoughts, feelings and desperation in her efforts to find a way through each new crisis. The activities and advice of her employer and friend add a startling new dimension to the plot as Dolores is led down the path of her life by events out of her control.

So brilliant is the writing, that the reader is at her side, feeling what she feels, as she finds the ultimate solution to her problems.

The characters are so real one feels that one knows them. It is a wonderful story that you shouldn't miss!
on 4 March 2013
I started reading books by S King that I had not had the chance to read just yet and came across this one. As with all of his other books I have read, this one had me from the beggining. Good plot, beautifully presented to the reader. I enjoyed it. Stephen King has always entertained me with all his books. I have a couple more titles on my list to read that I cannot wait to start.
on 29 June 1999
Hooray for Dolores, that's one woman who won't give up. She starts very early in the book taking care of herself and she does till the end... A very good piece of work by Stephen King, hopefully he will completely recover from last week's accident and write for us for a long time to come... Don't give up, Stephen...I greatly recommend this book.
on 9 December 1999
I lent this book out twice and never got it back. Each time I buy a new copy and I read it again. It is a story about real people. I really emphathise with the characters. If it didn't say Stephen King on the cover you yould have thought a woman wrote it. So I'm going to buy it again. Read it and probably give it away again. You'll do the same.
on 27 November 1999
With relatively little violence and bad language and plenty character-based narration, this is my favourite King novel. The way Dolores talks her story and the way she describes her daughter is really touching and memorable. Also it doesn't have that mass destruction at the end of many of King's novels. Very good book.
on 2 May 2015
First Stephen King I've read and not the last!
I was so surprised at how it kept my interest despite the narrative being entirely in the first person. King builds the landscape and populates it with characters and plots that are sparky and dark and twisted and funny. A really easy but thoroughly absorbing read.