4.0 out of 5 stars Italian adventure
Poor Hadiyyah - she almost drowned in the chilly North Sea in Deception on his Mind and now she has been kidnapped in Italy. This episode in the Lynley/Havers saga involves Havers more than Lynley, although he is initially despatched to Lucca to liaise with the Italian police. Of course he speaks Italian whereas Barbara Havers does not, though this doesn't prevent her...
Published 8 months ago by maggiefb

1.0 out of 5 stars Masquerading as an Inspector Lynley novel.
I've been an avid reader of Elizabeth Geoge's Lynley books for quite a number of years now but this will probably be the last book I will purchase in this series.
It just didn't hold my interest at all, the whole Italian setting and the complexities of the relationships of all involved was just so convoluted, and totally unbelievable.
I just couldn't finish it -...
Published 6 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 16 April 2014
This review is from: Just One Evil Act (Inspector Lynley 18) (Hardcover)
I have loved EG, but this made me resolve never to buy another. Hackneyed plot, bizarre characters, cod Italian. Rubbish.

2.0 out of 5 stars I didn't like it, 30 Jan 2014
Lainy (Bonnie Scotland) - See all my reviews
Detective Sergeant Barbara Havers next door neighbors child Hadiyyah Upman disappears from London, along with her mother. The father is devastated, as is Havers who is close to the family, suspecting her mother has taken her. Five months later the mother returns screaming Azhar, the girls father, has kidnapped her from Italy in retaliation. Together they must all work together to piece the case together and find the little girl before harm befalls her. DI Thomas Lynley is on the case to handle relations, translate upon arriving in Italy, racial and family issues. On top of that, the press is watching and reporting and there is a leak coming from the police.

Well what a story this turned out to be! To begin with I quite liked it, kidnapping by the mum and no idea where she went only to turn up months later saying the child has been truly kidnapped. The immediate response from Havers was ridiculous, she attacks her hair in response to the news. I still don't understand that and she has no relationship bar friendship with Azhar yet does so many things to potentially wreck her career AND break the law, repeatedly. Her behaviour is off the wall, she puts everything at risk and breaks the law continuously like a love crazed person rather than a respected, high ranking police detective.

When they are in Italy, Elizabeth George does a mix between Italian and English. Phrases are spoken in full Italian then the response or action is commented upon in English which I found totally distracting and very annoying. There is also some racist words battered around which will definitely offend some people so keep that in mind when picking the book up.

The book seemed far too long and went off in tangents which seemed more about padding the book out than adding anything to the actual tale. Lynleys "relationship" with Daidre I just didn't get either, he seemed to pursue and pursue and get nothing back at all from her other than what seemed forced communication. They seem to be at the same point in the start of the book as at the end so it really had no bearing or contribution to the tale at all, unless it is set up for the next book but even still I felt it added nothing.

I found myself getting bored often reading this one, some parts where quite good which is why is gets 2/5 however ultimately there was more to fault than like, for me however harden fans may still love it, this one just fell wide of the mark for me. I won't be rushing to pick up another by this author but won't rule out trying her again in the distant future.

3.0 out of 5 stars not so good, 23 Jan 2014
I'd been looking forward to this a lot, but I don't think it is really up to standard. The story has been stretched to the usual length book, but I don't think there's enough content: it would be better two-thirds of the size and a bit tighter.

3.0 out of 5 stars Where Is Lynley?, 16 Oct 2013
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Just One Evil Act (Inspector Lynley 18) (Hardcover)
When we last left Detective Inspector Thomas Lynley, his wife, Helen had recently died, shot down in front of their home. He is in mourning and trying to move on, both at the same time. We meet him today at a Rollerrink Derby. A rather new friend, a veterinarian, is skating under the name of Kickarse Electra. Seems normal, doesn't it?

At the same time DI Lynley is watching the skating, Detective Sargeant Barbara Havers is phoning again and again. It is not until early in the morning 1 am, that Lynley returns her phone call. He finds a distraught Havers. Her friend, Taymullah Azhar's girlfriend has left with their daughter. They are nowhere to be found. He is overcome, and Havers who is secretly in love with Azhar's, promises to help. Lynley feels she has overreached, Azhar's and this woman were not married and there is no law that was broken. Havers,won't have it, and silently thinks she will find them.

Havers, in some sort of anger fit has chopped her hair off and left clumps of hair. She had been counseled by her immediate supervisor, that she must dress as a professional and must have her hair done. All these things she had done, and was beginning to look lvely, and now look what she has done. She wears a winter cap to work the next morning and her her supervisor insists she take it off. She is astounded and stricken at Havers appearance. She also refuses time off for Havers to assist her friend. Havers has taken much time off to assist Lynley with his personal issues This is all beginning to look like a mess.

This was not my favorite book from the Lynley series. Havers is Havers and the chase she and Azhar's go on takes them to Italy, where Lynley follows. Cat and mouse games ensue. The process is sometimes unwieldy and very unusual. Some parts were difficult to believe. I much prefer DI Lynley 's stories and cases.

Recommended. prisrob 04-07-14

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish!, 19 Jan 2014
I've read and contributed to other reviews about this book but I would like to add my own. I'm sorry I bought it. Absolute total rubbish from beginning to end. The plot was unbelievable. The characterisation was poor to say the least. The wordage was about 2 pages per chapter too long. I was initially disappointed, then frustrated and finally angry that I had wasted so much time reading drivel. You may have guessed, I wouldn't advise wasting your money on this rubbish.

1.0 out of 5 stars A big disappointment, 17 Dec 2013
Jacqui Jay Grafton "I am not a blonde!" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just One Evil Act (Inspector Lynley 18) (Hardcover)
Elizabeth George's writing has slowly deteriorated over a period of time and this novel is the one that has finally made me decide to buy no more of her work. I am halfway through it and only the fact that I paid for it is making me finish it. George never uses one word when she can cram in 15 (and a few obscure, ill-used throw-aways). Parts of the novel are in Italian with nor direct translation, only a brief indication of what was said. At page 314, so little has happened that it could have been fitted into 50 pages of a well written novel. Why her publishers allowed this to be printed, I just can't fathom.

2.0 out of 5 stars very disappointing and drawn out, 27 Nov 2013
what a disappointment this book is. Little nuggets shone out but the whole tome could have been slashed by half and it would have made an acceptable read (no more). Both Lynley and Havers acted out of character and I wanted to knock some sense into Barbara's head. I skipped a chunk out of boredom and it didn't seem to have any impression on my grasp of the story - would make a good doorstop. A ridiculous plot - should go back to doing what she does best, snappy stories with credible characters.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too long, 11 Nov 2013
I am a massive fan of Elizabeth George's books so was looking forward too reading this later volume of Inspector Lynley's story. Have to say I was massively disappointed in the book. The story is focused on Barbara Havers and her relationship with her neighbour Azhar Taymullah and his daughter who is snatched by her mother at the end of the previous book. Most of the action is set in Italy cue an enormous amount of Italian dialogue which is really tedious particularly for those of us who don't speak the language. The book is far too long and the actions of Havers as a serving police officer is just not believable. Lynley plays a bit part in this book and seems surplus to requirements. Not a good read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Time for a change, 6 Nov 2013
I have read the whole Lynley series and I feel it has now run it's course. The main characters appear to have had a personality change -which was necessary in order for the story to unfold, but I found it totally ludiicrous. As for the Italian phrases that peppered the book - well, fine if, like Elizabeth George, you have been learning Italian but, on most occasions, not to translate them? Too pretentious by half. This is the last book of her's I will buy. Such a shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Complex, intriguing, gripping, 15 Oct 2013
Roman Clodia (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Just One Evil Act (Inspector Lynley 18) (Hardcover)
One of the things I like about George is that she's not afraid of taking risks and pushing her characters rather than falling into a fictional rut. That does mean that some fans of her early, cosier (though still quite dark) books, haven't made the transition to the type of books she's writing now. This one is definitely in line with the last couple: a complex, doorstopper of a tome which is more interested in the personal emotions of characters than a traditional police procedural - though there's still plenty of investigation taking place here.

Barbara Havers takes centre stage over Linley who is definitely a muted character despite getting a lot of page space: his strangely subdued new relationship is completely different from his past ones and is interesting despite the clear lack of chemistry and dreadful politeness that ensues between him and his new amour.

But it's Barbara and her relationship with Azhar and Haddiyah which it at the heart of this book. There's a slight feel of déjà vu here as, once again, Barbara goes off the rails and puts her career, and relationship with Linley, at risk. But the Italian setting of much of the book and Barbara's wonderful interactions with the Italian investigator give this an injection of novelty.

So there is still much that is unbelievable in a strictly realistic way, not least the workings of Scotland Yard as depicted here. But leaving that aside (and that's always been an issue, from the very first book where we had to swallow an Earl as a detective in the Met.) this is a big, intriguing, gripping read. And the end means that the next book has to deal with more change and adjustments in the personal lives of our characters - I can't wait.

(This review is from an ARC courtesy of the publisher)

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

Just One Evil Act (Inspector Lynley 18)
Just One Evil Act (Inspector Lynley 18) by Elizabeth George (Hardcover - 15 Oct 2013)
13.15