5.0 out of 5 stars More news from the Dales'school
Volume two in what will hopefully be a long series of books telling the story of a fictional school in the Yorkshire Dales, this is an amusing but realistic story, obviously drawing on the author's lifetime experience as a School Inspector. If you enjoyed the first book, then you will love this sequel.
Published on 3 Nov 2012 by Mr. Simon J. Archer

3.0 out of 5 stars Gervase Phinn
Story was enjoyable if a bit predictable. It was not quite to the standard of his earlier books about his time as an Inspector.
Published 15 months ago by 0191granddad

5.0 out of 5 stars More news from the Dales'school, 3 Nov 2012
Mr. Simon J. Archer (Hatfield, Herts.) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Trouble at the village school, 21 Nov 2012
Trouble at the village school, Good story but must be read in right order of story, I would recommend both books

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed this second book, 10 Dec 2012
A gentle story, dotted with laugh out loud moments, continuing on the story of the village school and the people who live and work in the village. A very enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trouble at the little village school, 15 Oct 2012
Anne Earls (Buckingham) - See all my reviews
Having previously enjoyed the first of this series by Gervase I was really looking forward to reading his second offering. I was not disappointed. The characters are so well drawn that you feel you actually know them and as with the first book I love the apt names he has given each person in the village. The story drew you along and thankfully all the characters ended up as I hoped they would. I was a little surprised to find myself actually feeling a little sorry for Miss Sowerbutts in this book. I hope the village books do not end here as I'd like to see how Danny and some of the others progress.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice follow up, 10 Nov 2012
This is a nice follow up to the first book "The Little Village School". We learn about the fate of the school and its Head Mistress Mrs Devine. Mr. Phinn leaves room for a third book that I hope he will consider writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 26 Sep 2013
Humorous and heart-warming - just as I've come to expect from this author. I'm now intending to purchase more of his books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gervase Phinn, 11 Sep 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Gervais Phinn, 11 Dec 2012
I just enjoy reading about young children at school, particularly in part of the country that I am not too familiar with. There is a tendency because he is a Yorkshireman, for him to overdo the sentiment and perhaps he exaggerates anything attached to living in Yorkshire but I still enjoyed it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gervase Phinn does it again!, 15 Oct 2012
A really good read and a convincing follow up. Anyone who has worked in schools will recognise the 'interesting' characters who work at Barton-In-The-Dale school. It is obvious that Mr Phinn has a wide ranging experience of what makes up the average staff - good and not so good. I look forward to the next book to see what happens when the amalgamation actually takes place and to the success of the lady in the red shoes - a girl after my own heart.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great little read!, 10 Oct 2012
C. Rucroft "The little bookworm" (North Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I am a big fan of Gervase Phinn. I have seen him at numerous events and his books have always been perfect for a light hearted, funny read. I read, and enjoyed, 'The Little Village School' a while ago and was delighted that he had brought out a sequel.

This story carries on where the last one left off. Elisabeth Devine is in charge at Barton-in-the-Dale primary and things are going swimmingly. After avoiding closure in the last book, all is well...until disaster strikes. (I won't give anything away!)

This book was just as enjoyable as the last. It was light hearted and funny. My favourite character - Oscar - makes a welcome appearance (well, unless you're the school caretaker!)

The only issue for me was the ending. We had all the build up of tension towards Elisabeths problem and then it fizzled out to nothing! It just didn't quite hold my interest all the way to the end.

Having said that, this is a great book for a wet, Sunday afternoon curled up by the fire. I would say you need to read 'The Little Village School' before this one. I am, also, delighted to see that this is destined to be a series. I cannot wait for the third one!

Trouble at the Little Village School: A Little Village School Novel