on 22 October 2010
If you like Phinn's books and have read his others, then you've read 95% of this one. What a waste of time and money. How about a new book.
on 18 November 2010
I have read Gervase Phinn's previous books and have to agree that the vast majority of this book has been in previous ones.
I would not recommend buying it as it gives the impression that he is scraping the bottom of the barrel for tales to tell.
What a disappointment.
If you want witty observation that looks back from the everyman's point of view, then you really have to read Gervase Phinn's books. Told from an Ex-Teacher, School Inspector and public speakers memories, the general observations really do hit the mark with you so much so that you'll find yourself chuckling along on his journey.

It's definitely something unique and whilst we're not talking comedian humour here we are talking about a title that will make you laugh. There is definitely something for everyone within this title with excerpts that everyone of a certain age will identify as well as appreciate. All in a fun novel and one that the odd wedding speech may borrow from with ease.

Finally, if you get the chance to meet Gervase at a signing or a talk, take the opportunity, it's a wonderful night out, you'll laugh and a great night out will have been had. If you're worried, take a friend, they'll find it as funny as you and soon be a fan of the author. A man who can truly talk the birds from the trees.
on 6 November 2011
Saw Gervase Phinn on stage in Scotland this year (2011). Superb raconteur and marvellous writer who makes his characters, particularly children, come alive on the page. Just about the only writer I know who makes me laugh out loud and inwardly weep for the occasional child who has a rough time in childhood. As a Yorkshire Lass myself I can even understand, and speak, the Yorkshire dialect he intermittently writes in. You can always tell "outsiders" because they have no concept of the glottal "t"! He uses it to great effect for those of us in the know...

His use of words generally is phenomenal and I envy his skill in the "mot just" for all occasions.

If I had a criticism it would be that many of his encounters are repeated almost verbatim in his other books but as his writings are books to be read and read again, this is just a small matter.
on 13 January 2011
I've loved all Phinn's previous books - lovely gentle, amusing reads - but this one is dreadful. It is a combination of stories repeated from his previous books interspersed with lists of strange place names and oddly spelt words and an enormous amount of preachy, holier-than-thou comments.

A great disappointment and it would certainly deter any new reader who picked up the book of reading his other works.
on 20 April 2012
I found this quite a strange book in some ways. Whilst reading it I felt that it read more like a collection of short articles than a book with a beginning, a middle and an end. It was only when I read the acknowledgements at the end that I found that this was how some of the contents first appeared.

Some previous reviews suggest that if you have all of the `Dales' books then there is nothing new in this, but that isn't the case - there is new material in here - although there are also some anecdotes from the earlier books.

Having said that, I did enjoy it, but overall I was somewhat underwhelmed - however that's only my personal feeling and maybe because the book wasn't quite what I expected.

I think, if you were somebody who can only grab 5 or 10 minutes here and there to read, then this would be ideal - a commuter reading in snatches on the journey to work for instance - but personally I like something I can get my teeth into a bit more.
on 13 November 2011
I'd not read this guy before, it was recommended as i'd been reading Jack Sheffield. I does what it says in the reviews on back. Has you laughing out loud. Which was a little embarassing as i first started reading it whilst travelling on a plane. Thoroughly enjoyed his little quipps and tales. Light hearted and enjoyable. I just bought another two, i hope there as good.
on 13 September 2011
Having read the various reviews, I bought this for my brother who had never heard of Gervase Phinn he has since passed it to me to read, wasn't sure what to expect, but it's brilliant. Kept us both amused.
on 20 August 2015
I enjoyed it. It is a collection of his fondest memories right through his life. As well, as this, his wife and children are mentioned throughout. If you have read the "Dales" series, and read his autobiography ( I have them all), some of the stories do appear before, but to me, that does not detract me from reading the book itself! He recalls meeting Margaret Dickinson. We also hear about Yorkshire dialects and accents, and we also hear about the saga of Christmas presents.

This is a very funny book, and good for light reading. It's certainly a tonic after watching depressing news bulletins!
on 24 May 2015
I have always liked Gervase Phinn, and as I know the area he was born in, and as I live in Sheffield in the first place. I have collected all his Dales Book Series, the first three books of the Village School Series ( I will get the fourth book in the series in due course) his autobiography. and also a copy of "Little Angels". Surprisingly, his books are extremely difficult to find. Hurrah for Amazon! Received this on 23rd May 2015, and am looking forward to reading the book!