5.0 out of 5 stars Horror for crime lovers (and crime for horror lovers)
Published on 30 July 2009 by Colin Leslie

2.0 out of 5 stars Great start then downhill fast.
I am new to this author's work and from the "blurb" and the way the item is marketed I thought I was buying an above average private eye/thriller product. The opening chapters were great and I though I was onto a winner! I just cannot explain how disappointed I was when the tale suddenly veered into Stephen King/The Sixth Sense territory. If you're a fan of this genre...
Published on 1 Dec 2009 by J. Trevett

5.0 out of 5 stars Horror for crime lovers (and crime for horror lovers), 30 July 2009
This review is from: The Lovers (Hardcover)
It is time...yes my friends, time to rise, time to stand up and say proudly...."I like horror". Yes there will be those who mock, those who will cast you out. They will attack you with their vampire romance but you must be strong. To test your faith, I have a task for you. Go to your nearest bookshop, enter the crime section (no-one said it would be easy) and find John Connolly's books. Then you must move them, one by one and carefully place them in the horror section (if you can find it) and if anyone moves them back you must persist and return them to the horror section once again. Should you be challenged in your task, by a well meaning staff member perhaps, say only these words.."it's a horror novel".

You see, without wishing to cause civil unrest in your local Borders (although come to think of it, that might be fun) there is a serious point to be made here. John Connolly is one of my favourite authors and the reason I like him so much is that he injects his crime novels with a fair old dose of supernatural adrenalin. His writing has an edge, a darkness, it's on the borderlands but with The Lovers Connolly has crossed over to the darkside. The supernatural elements don't remain in the background here they are at the forefront, indeed without the spectre of the occult this book could not exist.

Charlie Parker is John Connolly's hero, a troubled, even broken man, his history is one filled with blood, death and loss. The previous books have detailed some of this history but have left several large boulders unturned. The Lovers fills in a few of these blanks and in particular the mystery surrounding the death of Parker's father. Why a seemingly mild mannered family man and respected police officer shot two, apparently innocent young people and then took his own life. I can't go into any detail without spoiling the book for you, suffice to say the answer explains much of the supernatural elements that have lurked in the pages of the previous books.

A word of caution though, if you are new to Charlie Parker then please start at the beginning and work your way to this book. Start at Every Dead Thing and read them chronologically, yes you could probably read them out of sequence but if you do you won't get the full sense of mystery, the subtle hints at something deeper. Without that history this book would be much weaker as it is though it is an immense achievement, tying up several loose ends in dramatic and unexpected fashion whilst at the same time unravelling a few other areas of mystery which will no doubt lead us deeper down the supernatural rabbit hole (I can't wait).

So highly recommended this is the book which finally gets to the soul of Charlie Parker and does it with style, inventiveness, vivid characterisation and beautiful prose. In my mind Connolly keeps getting better with each book and seems to be getting the rewards he deserves in terms of sales (currently No4 in Tesco Book charts just ahead of Michael Jackson: Life Of A legend!). So, on second thoughts, maybe we shouldn't upset the applecart, leave the public to appreciate the nuances and skill of a great horror writer, even if they do think they are reading a crime novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars A return to top form, 7 July 2009
This review is from: The Lovers (Hardcover)
As a long time fan of John Connolly's writing I was slightly disappointed by his last book "The Reapers", as I felt that it lacked the prose style of his previous books whilst also employing a slightly tired plot scenario. I am happy to say that no such concerns can be raised over the "The Lovers".

Plot-wise, it tells the story of why Charlie Parker's father inexplicably murdered two teenagers before taking his own life when Charlie Parker was a 16 year old boy. This investigation into the past is neatly woven together with contemporary events.

Stylistically, some of the wirting is excellent and is of a standard that if the subject matter were different would place John Connollly's writing in the category of "literature". Happily such boundaries are increasingly blurred so we get to enjoy excellent prose in a contemporary crime thriller.

In summary this really was the most enjoyable read I have had for a time (and I pile through 2-3 books a week),. It is a definite return to top form for John Connolly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pains me to say it...., 25 July 2009
Mr. J W "john_w" (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Lovers (Hardcover)
... but this book fell a bit short.

Don't get me wrong, I am a massive JC fan. Read all his books, been to book signings etc. This is up to his usual high standards of style of prose and easy reading. But I just didn't get the story... it was like a character background on Parker, with a bit of the supernatural as background - but it just didn't have the impact of the Killing Kind/Dark Hollow - and felt a bit contrived as a result.

One of the other reviewers probably put their finger on it. This is one for the fans, and is a "filler" for me before his next great story appears. After The Gates, it is "The Whispers" - hopefully that will be back to greatness!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but Not Great, 6 Aug 2009
J. Cook "Anna" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lovers (Hardcover)
I really rate John Connolly as a thriller writer and have read and enjoyed all of his Charlie parker series. I have to say, though it pains me to do so, that this isn't one of his best efforts and left me a tad disappointed. I've always been intrigued to find out the reason behind the death of Charlie's father and the answer was well worth waiting for. I think the book falls down, not on plot but on pace - I just found it a bit slow at times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back on form, 16 July 2009
This review is from: The Lovers (Hardcover)
I saw John Connolly last night (he's more like a stand up comedian than an author- an amazingly funny guy) and got quite an insight into this book:

Unlike other authors he's not on contract so there isn't a new Parker being banged out every 12 months and he stated that unlike his friend Lee Child he doesn't want to write stand alone books, but rather develop a narrative that explains much of Parkers past and those of his supporting characters. Some books matter less than others (like the Reapers) but 'The lovers' is an important one focusing on the circumstances of a double murder carried out by Parkers father (who subsequently killed himself). He hinted that he has an idea where the series will ultimately end up so it IS heading for a conclusion... sometime.

I don't know how to summarise the plot of the lovers without spoiling it.... in fact I WON'T summarise it because I WILL spoil it. All Parker fans need know is that its superb. If you've liked the previous ones you'll love this. Connnolly took a lot of advice from an ex NYPD beat cop who worked the 9th precinct from the late 60's to early 80's so much of this book is based on fact but mixed with Connolly's unique blend of horror, mystery and the supernatural.

As of 16/7/09 there's a new stand alone book 'the Gates' due out in Oct about a boy who discovers his neighbours are opening the gates of hell in their basement. The exert I heard was hilarious and as it seems Connolly is babk on top form I'll be advance ordering it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beginning, 18 Aug 2009
Ted Feit (Long Beach, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lovers (Hardcover)
There is always an element of the supernatural in the Charlie Parker series, and this novel is no exception. It begins with Charlie's PI license being suspended and his permit to carry taken away. To keep a roof over his head, he's tending bar four nights a week, giving him time to undertake a personal investigation into his own beginnings.

Among the questions he needs answering are those to do with his parents, and who they really are; also, why his respected cop father shot and killed two young persons near his home one night and blew his brains out the next. In the process, he uncovers many more mysteries, some real, others supernatural.

As with other Connolly books, "The Lovers" is written with a firm hand and a tenseness that keeps the reader on edge. The complexity of the story and eerie quality of the tale probably defy the average person's imagination. But it is fascinating just the same, and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 26 Feb 2014
Excellent as always. A pleasure to read. John Connolly never disappoints me. A great plot from start to finish. Brilliant.....

5.0 out of 5 stars I was not disappointed., 20 Jan 2014
This is part of a series of books that follows the lives of some very intriguing characters. It stands up well in the series and as a read alone book as sufficient back ground is covered throughout the story. I am a reader of such series as those written be Koontz, King and James Lee Burke and the series by Connolly stands shoulder to shoulder with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charlie Parker back on the job!, 12 Mar 2010
This review is from: The Lovers: The Eighth Charlie Parker Thriller (Paperback)
You really do need to read the Charlie Parker books in sequence and when you do ... you get the full picture. It's amazing how much information one 'fictitious' character can give away by his actions, his investigations, his memories and his emotions! Charlie Parker is is so real and in this book he grabs the reader's attention with his need to go back into his childhood to find out why his father killed two apparently unarmed harmless teenagers. Full of supernatural threats and very physical beings out to get him, this is a riveting read - one I thoroughly enjoyed.

More please!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bird flying high again, 11 Oct 2009
This review is from: The Lovers (Hardcover)
I'm a big John Connolly fan and was left slightly disappointed by his last one so I approached this with trepidation.

I needn't have worried. This is a complete return to form with all the detective and supernatural elements that you would expect from a John Connolly book and even more interesting because it digs in to Parker's back story rather than the story of the journey we've been on with him.

Angel and Louis don't feature highly in this and I would have thought that I would have missed their presence but the story was intriguing enough without them.

A fabulous, well written, gripping and intriguing book - Dan Brown would do well to read it!

The Lovers: The Eighth Charlie Parker Thriller
The Lovers: The Eighth Charlie Parker Thriller by John Connolly (Paperback - 21 Jan 2010)
7.99