4.0 out of 5 stars A `mammoth' read- but well worth it.
I like a good `will they, won't they' scenario as much as the next person, but when this scenario stretches on for a good 600+ pages it starts to get just a little bit irritating!

Published on 20 April 2011 by Nicola F (Nic)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not nearly as good as the first 2
Published on 16 Dec. 2011 by Big Bad Bill

4.0 out of 5 stars A `mammoth' read- but well worth it., 20 April 2011
Nicola F (Nic) (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Mammoth Hunters (Earths Children 3) (Paperback)

Yes, it's on to the third book of the Earth's Children saga- and thankfully it's another mesmerising, unforgettable tale of primeval man. Ayla and Jondalar, the mysterious man whose life she saved in book two, have now embarked on a journey away from the Valley of Horses to find more people and have encountered them, much to Ayla's excitement and consternation. They eventually settle into the Mamutoi tribe and whilst Ayla finds it strange to be with other people, and more to the point people who look like her for a change, instead of the `Flatheads' of her former adopted clan, her differences to the Mamutoi actually make her all the more appealing, especially to the charming carver, Ranec...

Another fabulous story written in such an imaginative, skilful way- Jean M Auel has really done her research into the time of primeval man, tribes, their tools and the continents at that time and it really gets your mind ticking to try and understand a time so different from ours. I just love these books and the depth of explanation in them, but as I've suggested- the love triangle depicted here between Jondalar, Ranec and Ayla got just a little bit annoying and diverted some attention away from other more exciting goings on in the story. That aside, this was such a wonderful book anyway, that if you can see past that aspect then you're in for a treat of a read.

This is ultimately a story of acceptance, love and overcoming differences and I never thought that I would enjoy these novels as much as I have. The characters are all incredibly well developed- though be warned, there are a lot of them and their names sound a bit similar, so pay attention! I even found myself shedding a little tear here at one point- one character in particular is so well depicted that at certain events I found myself with a lump in my throat- and Ayla's understanding and acceptance of him was heart-warming.

I honestly wouldn't hesitate to recommend this series to anyone who really enjoys stories with well-written characters and a plot-line with great depth- and is looking for a read that is just a little bit different from the norm. I would however recommend reading them in their intended order- you need to understand how Ayla has got to where she is now and her past, which may be a bit confusing if you haven't at least read book one.

I am now eagerly anticipating reading book four and plan on starting this very soon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not nearly as good as the first 2, 16 Dec. 2011
Big Bad Bill "Big Bad Bill" (Somwhere on the Celtic Fringe) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mammoth Hunters (Earths Children 3) (Paperback)
I first read Clan of the Cave Bear and Valley of the Horses before this third volume was published. I loved both of them, especially the second volume. I was delighted when the 3rd book came out. However while The Mammoth Hunters is readable I found it to be nowhere near as enjoyable as the first two. The main reason was the love triangle theme. This involved both Jondalar and Ayla spending far too much time self-analysing, something I hate in books. Also the scope of this volume seemed much more limited as basically they go nowhere once they hook up with this tribe. Thankfully the 4th book was back on form and is now by some margin my favourite of the series. For a long time I was sure that was as far as it was going, as it was 12 years before the 5th book was published and in truth I now wish that book 4 had been the last as book 5 was so dull that I struggled to finish it and at the end realised nothing had happened other than Ayala meeting Jondalar's tribe. For that reason when 9 year later book 6 came out I did not hurry to buy it. Sadly in the end I did in the hope that as book 4 was so much better than book 3, that book 6 may be good, but I was wrong it was even worse than book 5. Sorry for rambling but this is all one story and there is no point in buying The Mammonth Hunters without fore knowledge of the quality of what follows.

5.0 out of 5 stars Educational, 23 May 2011
G. Jardine-Wilkinson (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mammoth Hunters (Earths Children 3) (Paperback)
A good read and a natural development in storytelling for the main character. It takes the life journey for both Ayla and Jondalar to the next level to confront the inevitable prejudice, fear and superstition when new contact is made and the writer transforms the environment through the eyes of Ayla as she deals with previously learned behaviours and personal longing. Jean Auel wields the story with an excellent sense of pace and timing.

5.0 out of 5 stars bill, 7 Feb. 2011
Continuing the story from the end of the previous novel - The Valley of the Horses, this volume introduces Ayla for the first time to numbers of "the others" humans like her. She meets and deals with a variety of situations ranging from mystical to prejudice, and finds and domesticates Wolf.
an excellent book. Auel in my view takes a lot of beating. His is one of thebetter books in the series. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mamouth Hunters, 13 Mar. 2011
This, being the third book of five (soon to be six) carries on directly from The Valley Of The Horses.
So far my favorite was the first one, The Clan Of The Cave Bear, but that doesnt mean this one isnt brilliant.
However I am finding Ayla and Jondolar need there heads banged together and its all getting a little frustrating.
but I would definatly recomend to anyone who fancies something different for a change to pick up The clan Of The Cave Bear. You will struggle to put it down and will very probably pick up the second one straight after.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read..., 19 April 2012
Mammoth hunters is the third book in a series. It follows on well from the last two books and I am enjoying it more than book 2 but they have all been good. I tried reading a copy from the library but the writing was so small it was hard to stay focused, so I bought a kindle- changed the type size and away I went- now I can't put it down! However I still use the library - we must support them!
These books can be quite graphic in nature when approaching the sexual habits of 'cave men' I would not recommend these books for young people or children. It is obvious the author has researched greatly and it is fascinating learning about the possible hunting, eating, living skills these people may have had, I especially love any information relating to natural medicine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Earth's Children book 3, 23 Jan. 2012
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Mammoth Hunters (Earths Children 3) (Paperback)
In the third installment of the Earth's Children series Ayla finally gets to meet more people of her own kind (the Cro-Magnon race she calls the Others). Spending the winter with Jondalar and the Lion Camp of the Mamutoi Ayla learns about the differences between the Others and the Clan (Neanderthals) she was brought up by. Although she suffers from prejudice from those who believe the Clan who raised her are nothing but animals she also finally finds acceptance and a sense of belonging. When the handsome carver Ranec shows an interest in her Jondalar is overcome with jealousy and Ayla is forced to make a very difficult decision. Should she stay with the people who have made her so welcome and mate with Ranec or should she leave with Jondalar and make the difficult journey to his homeland?

Although it isn't my favorite book in the series I still thoroughly enjoyed The Mammoth Hunters. I absolutely loved the Mamutoi and finding out about their way of life and also enjoyed watching Ayla interact with a group of people for the first time. Although not all of the Lion Camp are willing to accept her because of her background some of the camp go out of their way to make her feel welcome and we are introduced to some great characters. My favorite would have to be Rydag who is a child born of mixed spirits who was adopted by the mate of the camp leader. Nezzie is such a caring woman and her love for Rydag is heartwarming to see but watching the rest of the group grow to care for him after Ayla teaches them to communicate with him was one of my favorite parts of the book.

Another character I fell in love with was the newest addition to Ayla's animal family. I'm not going to say more because I don't want to spoil it for you but I defy you not to fall in love with him! His interactions with the rest of the camp and particularly with the horses made me laugh out loud and were great fun to read about.

I have to confess that the love triangle in this book drives me crazy. Although Ayla's behaviour is understandable because of her upbringing I could almost strangle Jondalar at times. He is so jealous of Ranec that he can't see straight and you want to bang his and Ayla's heads together and make them have a simple conversation that would quickly resolve everything. By the end of the book I'm almost ready to give up on him completely and hoping that Ayla will stay with Ranec and the Mamutoi! I am happy with the way things turned out in the end though.

A common complaint about this series is that Ayla is a little too perfect and that she and Jondalar seem to invent nearly every advancement made by humans throughout the Ice Age. I'll admit that this does seem to be the case but I can easily forgive this because it allows us to see in detail how these advances probably did come about. If you suspend belief that it was all discovered by 2 people I'm sure you'll find it just as interesting as I do. Another negative comment I've seen several times is the amount of detailed description Jean M Auel goes into but for me this is one of the positives of the series. She has obviously put in a great deal of research about the era and as it is something I knew practically nothing about before picking up her books I find it fascinating to read about. Some things do get a little repetitive throughout the series but I don't really find that a problem until we get to the fourth book in the series The Plains of Passage. Overall this is still an all time favorite series of mine and one I would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant series, 15 July 2013
I have just finished this book yesterday and i have to say i am still very much enjoying this series! It's hard to immagine what could happen in these books if you have not read them, it's about cave men, what could possibly happen? As it turns out a lot can happen and it does.

This book is about Ayla being introduced to 'the others' and how she adapts to her new life with civilization again after her 3 years alone after leaving 'the clan,' the people who raised her. The people she is with now are so different to the Clan that she stuggles to understand the culture and how they think and feel, although she does learn the language very quickly. Things start to go wrong between her and Jondalar (the first man she ever met of her own people) and due to a barrier of culture and upbringing they struggle to know how to fix things, which ultimately leads to more misunderstandings and distance between them.

The tension between Ayla and Jondalar is unbearable at times. I was desperate to find out what happens between them, very well written.

1.0 out of 5 stars Soooo repetitive., 7 July 2013
I have not bought the next book after reading other reviews.
The same old same old cutting pasting from previous chapters and books.
Who knew if you wanted to write a book series you could get way with simply writing the same stuff over and over again and someone would pay you for it?
The author has hinted at things to come and then ignored these tantalising glimpses to bleat on about stuff we just don't care about.
Why doesn't the village all get wolves and start breeding them and horses and then capture a goat and begin farming?!
Surely this is what she is trying to hint at? Who cares about the earth mother?
Just read the first two books and stop there, the rest just cut and copy from these anyway with nothing much interesting happening. Shame the author couldn't fulfil the promise these books had.

4.0 out of 5 stars The mammoth hunters, 22 July 2014
Clare O'Beara - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The Mammoth Hunters (3) is quite different to the two previous cave-dwelling stories in this series.

Ayla and Jondalar meet a tribe on the open tundra who have no trees for building materials. They use the bones, tusks and hide of the mammoths which they hunt, to make a large permanent shelter. This was an early longhouse or large yurt. As there is no wood to burn, the scraps of mammoth bone are burnt, and in order to do this the people have dug an air chute to draw fresh air in from outside to feed the fire oxygen. The demands of building and surviving in this house had forced the people to become ingenious and able builders. The entire tribe and visitors have to live in the same house all winter eating stored food and this creates tensions, jealousies and betrayals.

The Mammoth Hunters (Earths Children 3)
The Mammoth Hunters (Earths Children 3) by Jean M. Auel (Paperback - 23 Dec. 2010)