5.0 out of 5 stars This book could change your life
Published 3 months ago by willip

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of what you're getting here...
Published 12 days ago by dawn

5.0 out of 5 stars This book could change your life, 23 Oct. 2014
This review is from: We Make the Road by Walking: A Year-Long Quest for Spiritual Formation, Reorientation and Activation (Paperback)
I was drifting away from faith when an old friend recommended reading Brian Mclaren. Over the last year or so I have read several of his books and have found that my faith has been strengthened again, once more becoming aware of the love of God for all of humankind. It is a different faith to the fundamental beliefs I once held, but it is now one which is learning to cope with uncertainty and paradox but more importantly a faith which yearns to reach out, to express the love which God has shown me to others.

We make the road by walking is primarily written to encourage weekly study, perhaps as a part of a small discussion group. Sorry, Brian, I have been unable to follow your plan! For the first time for decades I have found a daily time of study and reflection to be unmissable, invaluable and challenging. Each study starts with three or four reasonably lengthy bible readings which has meant that I have read more of the scriptures in the last several weeks than I have done for years. There are no out-of-context isolated verses here.

I've now read about 3/4 of this book and am starting to wonder what I will do in 12 or so days when I have finished the studies. Perhaps I'll start the book again, perhaps do something different, but whatever I do I am sure it will be with ongoing conviction that by walking with God today we make a road for ourselves for tomorrow that will take us deeper into his presence.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny., 4 July 2014
David Abbott (Berkhamsted UK) - See all my reviews
Thoughtful: biblical: inspirational: faith in Christ for 21st century people. Make time to pray and think when you finish each chapter. Worth every penny.

4.0 out of 5 stars Also a good one to share with others and ask them to ..., 19 Oct. 2014
Brian McLaren continues to help me on my way trying to make sense of life and live up to my potential both personally and corporately as part of God's immense creation. Also a good one to share with others and ask them to meet up to share thoughts along the way.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of what you're getting here..., 17 Jan. 2015
dawn (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
If you are in agreement with the beliefs and aims of the "emergent church movement" then you will have no problem with the doctrine taught in this study guide. However, to many Christians this movement is an end time deception that denies the pre eminence of Jesus Christ and His declaration of being the ONLY way to God (John 14 verse 6). Anything that denies this is not biblical Christianity (though the authority of the Bible is of little importance to the proponents of emergent christianity). It is perfectly possible to live in peace with adherants of other faiths without watering down essential doctrines that truly are a matter of life and death, for example in this book Mclaren says Jesus was murdered, denying the execution on a cross because to preach atonement by the blood of Christ is too upsetting. Don't take chances with your immortal soul, and take the views of Mr Mclaren, Rob Bell and the emergent church movement with a large pinch of salt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 24 Oct. 2014
a great and easy read yet with depth and encouragement and support for the journey

5.0 out of 5 stars Profound, 27 Oct. 2014
Profound, Biblical, Jesus focused a must for all that have some or deep-rooted interest in Jesus

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 Sept. 2014
Wonderful, generous theology, refreshing expression of faith grown up.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 8 Jan. 2015
Helpful to have the book we are focussing on through this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars good service., 17 Jan. 2015
Mr. Bryan J. Pill "smudge" (Guernsey, CI) - See all my reviews
Interesting Book, good service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Sept. 2014