5.0 out of 5 stars Solidly Biblical and Emotionally Satisfying
I purchased this book as I am considering marrying my long-term girlfriend and wanted some advice as to what biblical marriage consists of.

Published 19 months ago by Mr. T. E. Rochester

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I bought this book because I knew of Tim Keller's reputation as a speaker. I was hoping for some new insights and helpful pointers. But no such luck. I found his style waffley and verbose and discovered little to inspire.
The style of marriage he and his wife promote clearly works for them but struck me as stifling. They base their thesis on a fairly traditional...
Published on 24 April 2012 by Ashley

5.0 out of 5 stars Solidly Biblical and Emotionally Satisfying, 20 April 2013
Mr. T. E. Rochester (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Meaning of Marriage: Facing the Complexities of Commitment with the Wisdom of God (Hardcover)

Having previously read some of Keller's other books (EG The Reason for God, The Prodigal God), I found the writing style similar: solid research backed up by years of practical wisdom as a church pastor, but with perhaps an over-reliance on CS Lewis, his favourite author.

Some may disagree with his positions concerning biblical headship, but he only mentions this in terms of the household, not church leadership, though I suspect he would reject the Egalitarian position there. Kathy's chapter on this is very useful.
Similarly, his belief that sex should only be enjoyed within marriage (the focus of Chapter 8), and that marriage is for one man and one woman only may strike some as homophobic or constricting, but this book is unashamedly for Christians, or for those wanting to know what a Christian marriage consists of. All of his opinions are firmly backed up from scripture.

Overall, I found this book very helpful. It confirmed much of what I already expected, but also gave me new insights and analogies I had never considered before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this, 20 Nov 2011
I am only half way through the book and I cannot put it down, I have a mental list that is getting to be pages long of who I think should read this book and I am planning on rereading it before I pass it along to others. I am single. A Christian. And hoping for a marriage someday that is built on the wisdom of this book. I have a lot to learn. A lot. I have lots and lots of people in my life who are not Christians or who have very very broken lives in terms of relationships and I couldn't recommend a book heavily enough for them. I also think it would be great for my parents and their happy 32 year marriage. It hits right where we all need to hear. It is accessible to those outside of Christ while not dumbing down the beauty and complexity of marriage' pointing to the gospel. It paints a picture that should stretch all of us, single, married, non believer, believer, broken beyond repair or maybe with only a few scratches on us.. with hope and a realization that the map most of us have been given needs to be realigned entirely and that God's Word is THE place to do it because He is good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing... me, not the book., 6 Jan 2012
I haven't finished this book, so you might suggest a book review is a little premature...

I've always considered myself entirely committed to my marriage, and so expected a fairly boring, comfortable read ahead of me.

The chapters I have read certainly made me sit up; have you ever read a chillingly accurate description about yourself and circumstances from someone who doesn't know you?
It is a little alarming.

To 'enjoy' the same effect, you need to be honest with yourself. For your sake I hope you can't relate to my experience.
Name-calling isn't usually constructive, but the author's suggestion that a bad marriage might be because me or you, dear reader, are self-centred, were quite hurtful. Furthermore, to bring about change will not require enlightenment from your partner about how you wish to be treated, but a complete change from yourself.
You are the master of your ship.
What will it be; full steam ahead or drop anchor?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great prep read on marriage, 15 July 2012
Getting married in a few months, I found this book really useful, practical and helpful.
This book reminds us what the biblical view is on marriage - in a world where so much is said on marriage that does not match up to what God had in mind when created marriage.

It is also not afraid to talk about Christian singleness in a refreshing and biblical way.
A brilliant read. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marriage...(huh)...what is it good for?, 6 Dec 2011
For anyone down on marriage, avoiding marriage, thinking about marriage, longing for marriage or working at marriage this is an excellent and helpful Bible based resource. Lots of good stuff about how Jesus loves and wants to relate to his bride (the church) too. Nice one Tim! Keep em coming!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
lots of good stuff to be had in this very good book on marriage.

4.0 out of 5 stars great book, 9 Feb 2014
easy read and looks at practicle and biblical principles of marriage. really enjoyed it and broadened my perspective on every level.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Meaning of Marriage - review, 25 Sep 2013
Brilliant! Full of really helpful practical advice under-pinned by biblical truth, both of which come to mind again and again. Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical Help, 30 Aug 2013
Thoughtful explanation of what a marriage is and very helpful Biblical guidance about how to be joyfully married.
Good advice on how to build a marriage on solid foundations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reportedly the best book on marriage yet written!, 30 July 2013
Both my daughter and my wife have read and commented on this book, which I personally have yet to read. Excellent recommendations!

Used & New from: £24.45