4.0 out of 5 stars As expected
Michael Caine wrote a substantial autobiography a few years ago, so customers who already own that one should be aware: that part of his life hasn't changed, so expect to read about it again! What we get that's new here is his more recent career, covering the gradual revival of his appetite for acting in decent movies after a long period of disillusionment and...
Published on 4 Oct. 2010 by Post Scriptum

3.0 out of 5 stars Longer career and shorter book is not a good combination - read What's It All About? instead
To some extent, the weaknesses of this book are somewhat inevitable. In 1992 Caine wrote What's It All About?, an autobiography that was interesting and a great read from an extremely prolific movie actor who has rubbed shoulders with some of the greats. Caine is a natural raconteur and, one suspects, is terrific company. At the time, he thought that his place as a...
Published on 17 Jan. 2011 by Ripple

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 Aug. 2014
Very interesting insight into Michael Caine's world. Well worth a read

2.0 out of 5 stars look at me i'm a star, 5 Dec. 2010
I bought this book with the hope of finding out more about what makes him really tick but was disappointed to find he seems more determined to name drop.
For me i don't really care who they are after all most of them are only actors the most interesting parts of the book are his experiences in Korea and his realisation
that he has been cocooned for many years in a false and empty lifestyle. At last he is with people that really matter family.The Elephant to Hollywood

5.0 out of 5 stars Not everybody knows that, 2 Jun. 2011
Maurice Bird "Mozbird" (England) - See all my reviews
I only read non fiction especially biographies and autobiographies. I was pleased when this one came up for sale. I also obviously chose the best seller because the whole experience was handled professionally. The book itself came on time and in perfect condition. As for the book's content it was interesting from start to finish and thoroughbly enjoyable. Full marks to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 Oct. 2014
very pleased with purchase, would use seller again

5.0 out of 5 stars So enjoyable., 26 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Elephant to Hollywood (Paperback)
What a great story teller,none better than MC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Oct. 2014
Another wonderful book bought for my husband.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 5 Jan. 2011
N. Hudson (UK) - See all my reviews
This is a nicely-written, very enjoyable book with some good photos and even a few recipes at the end. Caine comes across as a decent chap who would be fun to be around. But then he wrote it! It doesn't seem to have been ghosted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, Virginia, some actors are interesting!, 7 Jan. 2012
Claude Lambert (Savannah, USA) - See all my reviews
A lot of great actors are not interesting at all: they just think they are because they are well known, so I seldom read any actor's biography; I prefer the biographies of businessmen and sports coaches: at least I know I will learn something. I made three exceptions: one with Paul Newman, because he was successful at anything he tried, one with Laurence Olivier, because I wondered if he was as insufferable as I suspected - and he was. The third one is Michael Caine, because I have seen him in a lot of bad movies, but he never gave a bad performance or let himself go. In a 40 years career' span, it says something of the man's character.
Caine was born on the wrong side of the tracks in Britain in 1933. There was a much bigger class division in Britain than in the USA or France, a division I still felt in the 40s, 50s and early 60s. The Victorian snobbery was still in full blast; the great depression was followed by the war and the great decolonization: that did not help anybody get out of misery. What made of Michael Caine a success? Character. It makes the book worth reading for me.
The general mood of the book is good: no complaint, lament or bitterness. Caine is a good story teller and sees the funny side of things. He is faithful to his friends, so do not expect scandals and shocking revelations. If you are a good reader, you will guess who he does not care for, but he never spells it out. Caine met everybody in Hollywood. Some people call it "name dropping." I do not see it that way. Caine was starstruck as any movie fan and happy to meet his big American screen heroes. In my field, people who ever met Einstein are happy to talk about it, and they think it will make you happy too, I pass around whatever nice story I know about the few Nobel prizes I met: it is not about me, and it is not about Caine: it is sharing the small pleasures of life. Proof of this is that Caine shares memories of friends we never heard about, the people he found remarkable and was proud to meet. Once again, this shows character.
Altogether, a remarkable man. A good and easy read -with a lot of depth under the apparent lightness.
To the future actor, I heartily recommend reading Michael Caine's MICHAEL CAINE - ACTING IN FILM: AN ACTOR'S TAKE ON MOVIE MAKING (REVISED & EXPANDED) By Caine, Michael (Author) Paperback on 01-Feb-2000

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 Sept. 2014
Bought for my husband and he loved it

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 April 2015
brillant made me laugh and cry

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 | Next ›

The Elephant to Hollywood
The Elephant to Hollywood by Michael Caine (Paperback - 26 May 2011)