5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little book at a great price!
Being attracted by the kindle price (free!) I decided to try this book based on the solid reviews of the paperback version.

Published on 25 Nov. 2010 by mssmith1

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as grand as the title suggests
Slightly misleading title, probably better summed up as.. 'You don't seem to do much when you get home from work each day, why not pick up a book instead?'
It is however well written, entertaining and short. There's bound to be one good suggestion you'll take away from it. Diverting if nothing else.
Published on 4 Jan. 2011 by Mr

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little book at a great price!, 25 Nov. 2010
mssmith1 "mssmith1" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

I was absolutely delighted within minutes of starting. The writing style is old-fashioned, with anecdotes reflecting life at the start of the last century. However, it is incredibly accessible and the examples are easy to understand and just as relevant today. Bennett writes in a humorous style, which while may not be to everyone's taste, certainly made me smile.

The essence of the book is that the average person always feels short of time. Bennett's basic premise is that you might work for 8 hours a day, and sleep for 8 hours a day, but the rest of the time is not used productively. He dissects a typical day and gives some really thought provoking ways to think about, reclaim and then spend this time.

Given the number of people who spend their evenings slumped in front of the TV, zoning out, it seems to be there are no shortage of people who would benefit from this book, but alas I suspect they are also the least likely to read it.

It's a short book, and a quick reader will get through it in an hour, although as Bennett tells us in the book, the real benefits will come from reflecting on its content.

To be honest - while it's free, why not give it a try!

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent waste of time, 2 Feb. 2011
'In Bennetts' 'How to live on 24 hours a day' he lays down the philosophical argument that the majority of us simply do not use the time we are given to best advantage. Given that most of us spend eight hours daily in work for an employer and some of us may even give that our best efforts and enjoy the work, it is the other 16 hours plus weekends (days off) that Bennett tackles here.
Take example the journey to work, travelling to the station, the time the train station blatantly wastes as you stand waiting for it's arrival, the trivial reading of the newspaper in the time allocated to arrive at your destination, and the same on the way home; Bennett has far better uses for your time than to squander it away reading the daily papers.

At home you feel lethargic, you eat later, breaking up the night, you consider going to bed a good forty minutes, and when you look at the clock 6 hours of your time has elapsed as if in the twinkle of an eye, nothing very productive having been done at all.

Bennett blasts through excuses of tiredness, socialising and any other excuse with a logic that is hard to dis affirm, there is no way around it, we should all be not just doing more with our daily allocated amount of time currency, but simply thinking about how we use that allocation can lead to much more productivity in just 2 - 3 hours of our spare 16!

I also found the very last few pages to be very productive to me on a personal level as Bennett praises the benefits of poetry and states if we really can not abide the subject of Philosophy or History as a substitute, that made me chuckle as some of my associates are heavily invested in the study of History, one being a PhD.

Den.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing foresight and amazingly helpful, 5 May 2013
It sometimes seems like every generation acts as if it thinks it invented sex, dieting, and methods of self-improvement. Those of us who tend to think that way will be astonished by this book: it's the best thing I've ever seen on how to use one's time in useful and fulfilling ways -- and it was published OVER A CENTURY AGO!

Bennett makes the obvious fact that we can't create time a launching point for suggesting ways in which we could use the time we have far more productively. The title almost fully captures the book's thesis and with a small change, putting emphasis on the word "live," would do so completely. This is a book that in a mere 59 pages or so tells you more worthwhile things about "How to LIVE on 24 Hours a Day" than you'll find in the mountains of self-improvement books published in the subsequent 100 years.

It now amuses me to see, when I'm crushed in the mass of "salarymen" on rush-hour trains, that so many of them are (mostly unknowingly) doing one of the very important things Bennett recommends: reading. His book could almost be an ad for Kindles! Not only will Bennett give you probably the best advice you ever had on using your time well, he'll give you good advice on not being obsessive about the advice or trying to impose it on your friends. I'll briefly ignore it to say to you "Read this book."

4.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Hilarious, 17 Dec. 2011
I downloaded the Kindle version because it is free and I wanted to try the Kindle app on my phone. This book is all the funnier for the fact that the author is really being serious about what he is writing. If you do nothing else, read the preface. The description of having a servant prepare a tea tray for the morning to facilitate getting up an hour earlier in the morning is one of the funniest things I have ever read. Priceless, particularly at the Kindle price, free!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as grand as the title suggests, 4 Jan. 2011

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful, if you can apply the self-help, 1 Jan. 2011
What is it?: It's a non-fiction sort-of self-help book about how much time we waste in our every day lives and how doing simple things in that time can vastly improve our intelligence, concentration and our overall outlook on life itself.

It was nicely done, with good explanations, fluently linked and broken down for easy enough reading. I will probably try out a few techniques at some point in the future, especially as I'm still in school and the exam season is coming up - some techniques in there might help those who struggle to revise. A nice read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile quick read!, 7 Jun. 2011
I've got my A2 exams coming up next week, and the last few weeks I have been procrastinating quite spectacularly, so when I saw this ebook for free, I decided to give it go. Nice and quick to read- takes less than an hour, and it certainly motivated me to get a move on- since reading it last night I have managed to revise from 9am- 4pm so far today, and I'm now looking forward to having some free time this evening to do as I please! Not sure I'll be reading any of the novels or poetry this book suggests, but I'm certainly glad I read it. I liked particularly the fact that everyone in the world is given the same amount of time everyday, no one gets any more or any less, and it is, more or less, up to us how we spend those 24 hours. To anyone in a similar predicament, who finds themselves wasting hours doing nothing at all just to avoid doing something unpleasant, this could be a very worthwhile waste of an hour! :D

4.0 out of 5 stars Get more life out of your day., 31 Aug. 2011
Arnold Bennett's witty book is based on the premise that time is a great leveller; whether you're poor or a millionaire, at the beginning of the day , all has a 'purse-full' of 24 hours to spend.
On the daily commute, he urges us to concentrate on any aspect of our choosing. Without mind control, he asserts, we will never find empowerment. He also observes that concentration leaves no room for that other time-waster, worry.
In the latter part of the day, one should reflect; on happiness, the direction in which your life is going, what life is giving you.
Useful for anyone who simply lounges in front of the TV all evening.
I must admit that I wouldn't have bought this book normally, but, due to it being free, thought I'd give it a try.
Glad I did!

5.0 out of 5 stars John Arc, 19 Aug. 2013
This book is explicit on how to spend those precious minutes from work on ponderous reading. It motivated and urged the reader to choose specific literature for in-depth knowledge and mastery of a subject one at a time. It is motivating!

5.0 out of 5 stars funny and informative, 4 May 2013
This is one of the most amusing and intriguing self help books ever written, and unusually it's by someone who made a success of their own life not just by selling self help books!

How to Live on 24 Hours a Day
How to Live on 24 Hours a Day by Arnold Bennett (Paperback - 2 Jan. 2009)