Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 July 2003
I thought this book was a very worthful buy. It is small enough to be kept in your pocket or bag or next to you at work. The lay out of the book ensure ease access to information in a concise form when required.
Students have borrowed the book and feel its explanations of i.e. respiratory management are very clear and understandable.
The book is valuable to staff on a busy acute ward or to HDU/ITU staff.
on 15 January 2009
I worked in a Surgical ward for 7years, I must admit I don't have much background in Critical Care. The outreach nurses helping the ward did inspire me to progress to this speciality.
Since I've used Blackwell's books before and find them easy to use, I tried this book to start with for this specialty and I haven't regret buying it. It help me tremendously not only in assessing but monitoring my patient. My colleagues especially my mentor are impressed knowing the basic things that they just about to teach. I'm truly happy I'd used this Intensive Care book.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 August 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It is "x" number of years since I did the training which involved a series of medical related qualifications, but as with all my qualifications I like to keep them up-to-date so I am up with the game - the latest techniques, theories, etc.

This book would have been a God-send to me when I was studying for the "Home Nursing" qualification, and, after reading it, it has certainly reminded me that some things in the medical world change very quickly.

The contents of this pocket-sized, 359 page book are concise - everything from monitoring the patient to record keeping, in 19 chapters.

Contents:

~ recognition and management of the deteriorating patient
~ assessment of the critically ill patient
~ monitoring respiratory function
~ monitoring cardiovascular function: ECG monitoring
~ monitoring cardiovascular function: haemodynamic monitoring
~ monitoring neurological function
~ monitoring renal function
~ monitoring gastrointestinal function
~ monitoring hepatic function
~ monitoring endocrine function
~ monitoring nutritional status
~ monitoring temperature
~ monitoring pain
~ monitoring a patient receiving a blood transfusion
~ monitoring the patient with infection and related systemic inflammatory response
~ monitoring the critically ill: pregnant patient
~ monitoring the critically ill: child
~ monitoring during transport
~ record keeping

Each of these chapters contains a list of "learning objectives", an introduction along with things like the "best practice" ideals (in grey boxes). The text is easy to follow (but if you are new to the subject you might need a Medical Dictionary).

This book is a great training book for those looking at caring for seriously and critically ill people and can be used as a revision/top-up guide for those who have experience. It is a good resource, not just for nurses, but for anyone who will be looking after an ill family member.
VINE VOICEon 14 August 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My first premise for this review is that this does nothing original: You can find any of this information in any good ICU text- be it nursing or medical oriented. For instance, the brand new chapter on the monitoring the sick child is a summary of the salient material in the Advanced Paediatric Life Support manual.

My second premise is that as a "bunch of summaries into pocket sized edition" this is probably the best I have encountered. You could give this to a nursing OR medical student and set them up for life in terms of recognising and monitoring the ill or deteriorating patient.

(This is all important, with many young whippersnappers coming out of medical school going into their F1 year getting by with writing up Kardexes and "calling for help"- hoping someone senior will take care of it. And if you think I am being hard on medical students: how many nurses call you urgently and say the "patient doesn't look well" to justify the emergency instead of subsequently rattling off their relevant vitals?)

There is nothing controversial in here, all the National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE), Royal Colleges' and Resuscitation council's guidelines have been referenced. And this book- like those guidelines, encompass even things like ECG lead positioning and interpreting blood gases. Indeed I was pleasantly surprised to see the guidelines of transfusion of blood products included- a module all hospital nurses and doctors must complete. That said, I was slightly annoyed when the book mentions transfusion times for packed red cells, fresh frozen plasma and cryoprecipitate but not platelets. I will also mention that the "Monitoring hepatic function" chapter looks very scanty without much reference to blood investigations and indices, even if this book was nurse oriented.

I am very pleased with the clinical vignettes that they give as examples and are representative of what happens in the hospital setting. They reinforce the material that has been presented before.

This is a great book with some omissions notwithstanding. If you are starting out in the hospital setting, this is essential- unless you want to go through every protocol and resuscitation manual and digest it all.
on 14 February 2004
Pocket sized book, so easy to carry. However, there are a few factual/editing errors that need rectifying. Would suggest this is a good book for the novice critical care nurse.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 August 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I spend a great deal of my time mentoring student nurses and nurses who are undergoing preceptorship so it is always useful to have a resource that enables you to link practice to theory. This book is very good at describing monitoring of a range of patients in the critical care environment and describing the cues that you need to pick up on to ensure that any deterioration in a patient's condition is identified early enough to prevent it becoming catastrophic. The book covers a range of conditions and environments, and usefully a section on record keeping which is critical in terms of defensible documentation and providing timelines that enable clinical actions and judgements to be evaluated as to their efficacy. Well worth the money.
on 12 April 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is an handy pocket guide to help caring for critically ill patients. It is quick and easy to search and look up relevant queries, and is well referenced. The text is nicely and logically presented, easy to follow, good layout. Includes chapters on the deteriorating patient; managing critically ill children, pregnant patients, septic patients; recognition and management of the deteriorating patient ECG and haemodynamic monitoring; systems like CNS, resp, GIT & hepatology etc; blood transfusions; pain; and record keeping.
All in all, a handy and invaluable resource, for both quick answers and more detailed study. Perfect for the acute wards and HDU/ITU.
on 2 April 2009
This is a good beginners text, small and practical. Only got 3 stars as I felt it would be insufficient for people with some experience. I don't work with critically I'll patients but I found a lot of the info in the book was stuff that I was already familiar with. In saying that I would still reccomend this book to anyone considering a post in ITU or to those like myself just wish to broaden their nursing knowledge
on 17 December 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I write this from a nurse's perspective.
Working on an assessment unit more often than not it is the nurse who first assesses patients and prioritises who is seen.It is also the nurse who is first to recognise changes in a patients condition.
Knowing what to look for and being one step ahead in treatment is an essential skill for a nurse working on any acute ward.
Clear and concise without too much indepth and unrequired information as a revision guide I found this book highly useful.
Recommended.
on 20 January 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It is with high praise I give to Phillip Jevon as this is another book that works well with getting essential information to staff nurses. Would say that only the mighty Royal Marsden is a better all rounder than this book but this book works well with a very difficult subject of having to monitor the early warning signs of your patient whilst also trying to conduct a long term plan of maintaining their wellbeing. If you ever meet Philip, shake his hand and thank him - he has probably saved a lot of people...