5.0 out of 5 stars Puhutko suomea? Puhun! (Do you speak Finnish? Yes, I do!)
I only got this a couple of weeks before we went to Lapland, so was hoping to get a number of basic phrases learned quickly, and perhaps be able to interpret some of the signs.

Published on 1 May 2011 by Philip

3.0 out of 5 stars Trying to learn Finnish at home, alone
I need to learn Finnish because my daughter is marrying a Finn this autumn. I was quite looking forward to the process because, as a teacher of German, Spanish and French, and with reasonable knowledge of Portuguese, Italian and Japanese, I've got a lot of experience in learning lingos and have tried out many different courses and methods over the years.

The...
Published on 7 July 2012 by val

5.0 out of 5 stars Puhutko suomea? Puhun! (Do you speak Finnish? Yes, I do!), 1 May 2011

This package didn't disappoint. It takes the sensible approach that knowing everyday phrases is going to build confidence, and allow you to push on from there into simple conversation . Certainly the ski instructor understood me when, after he'd been using perfect English for twenty minutes, I practised my Finnish on him!

I've no doubt we'll be going back to Finland, we had a great time (in Levi). Even if everyone did speak English, it's good to be able to be polite in their language, read menus, read shop labels etc. Meantime, I'll be pressing on with the rest of the course.

3.0 out of 5 stars Trying to learn Finnish at home, alone, 7 July 2012

The plus points are that the book is extremely thorough and the back up CD is very helpful. Plus it does include some information about Finnish culture and daily life. It's small enough to carry around easily and has a fair amount of vocabulary.
On the negative side there aren't a lot of visuals to add interest, no colour at all (except for the cover) and the methodology is rather repetitive - though that might be just me, as I'm not keen on reading too many dialogues.

I shall continue to work on this because of the imminent wedding but the book is not motivating me as much as I had hoped it would. No evening classes anywhere near here (East Yorks) so will persevere.

Hope these comments help you make a decision!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent course and what I expected, 19 Jun. 2011
G. L. Parsons (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I've done four of eighteen chapters and finding this course to be just what I expected and needed, really. (I'm learning Finnish for fun and a short holiday, it's providing enough to be confident of getting through everyday situations.) There's a lot of audio accompaniment which is essential in languages, with full conversations and more than you'll understand initially. It explains things in the right level of detail and has good grammar sections, but not so much it scares people off. Personally, as someone with a language degree and with my style of learning, I'd like more grammar sooner, but it starts you off just learning phrases. Their way is the best way - I can skip ahead to read the section on a particular case if needed, but others need not be put off. It's very practical and flexible to take at your own pace. Finnish is hard, yes, but it's not horrendous, and the book does a very good job of making is conquerable!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent and easy to use, 7 Oct. 2012
This book really is the best on the market, the way it is written makes learning really easy for anyone. I'm dyslexic so find languages difficult but everything is really broken down so it is easy to understand and the CD definately helps with pronounciation (finding a native Finnish speaker isn't easy!).

1.0 out of 5 stars Really hacked off that this says it's an audio CD ..., 9 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Complete Finnish Beginner to Intermediate Course: Audio Support: New edition (Audio CD)
Really hacked off that this says it's an audio CD. I bought this to play in the car however I've tried it on 2 CD players and it doesn't work- I think it's actually a CD rom. Now have to buy a disk drive for my laptop as it doesn't have one. With the the book, CD and disk drive this will be a very expensive learning process. Wish I hadn't bothered.

Complete Finnish Beginner to Intermediate Course: Audio Support: New edition