5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent learning aid or refresher of all the basics
Published on 1 April 2011 by Rave Review

2.0 out of 5 stars Good book, not so good on Kindle
Published on 9 Feb. 2012 by Alec

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent learning aid or refresher of all the basics, 1 April 2011
I have the previous version of this book. I think it is so good that when I saw this new edition I decided that I should write a review. This book takes the reader up to about what used to be O level standard, GCSE I guess it is now? All the topics are well explained and with a little application the content is within the grasp of all. I have other maths books that seem to delight in explaining with simple examples and then presenting more difficult exercises, this book never does this. My copy of this book is now falling apart with use. It inspired me to move on and get into A level maths, more complicated algebra and calculus. So for this I am very thankful.
So if you want to refresh your knowledge after a long time, help your children with homework or just understand the wonder of maths this is a book you should have.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good book, not so good on Kindle, 9 Feb. 2012
I bought the kindle edition so I could fill-in the gaps in my maths skills thus keep-up with my son's homework. The content is good with clear explanations and lots of examples; however, some of the formulae, especially those with indices, are represented as tiny graphics on the Kindle screen which are too small to read clearly and can't be zoomed-in. The text-sizing facility doesn't make any difference. Formulae are also often badly positioned with regards to standard text. Apart from that, it's a good book which does what it says on the cover. I have no hesitation in recommending the paper version, but not the Kindle version.

4.0 out of 5 stars Misleading title, 30 Nov. 2011
Mr. N. Moffatt (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
Whilst it is impossible to have a single complete book on Maths, the title does imply a scope that is much greater than that offered. Those readers who will be able to cope with the whole book will find the first few chapters desperately slow and simple. They take up a fair size of the book that could have been given over to other topics. Besides, what role does the sister Teach-Yourself book on Basic Maths have to play if many beginner concepts are supplied here?

But it deserves 4 stars because it is very clear and tidy with copious exercises (with answers at the end of the book).

Written by two leading Maths Professors, it even offers a proof of Pythagoras's theorem, but an awkward one. There is a much more elegant way to prove this.

But that was an exception to an otherwise consistently well written book, with great little 'insight' asides that offer meaningful tips.

They just needed to be clearer about their intended audience.

4.0 out of 5 stars This Book is a great way to Learn Maths, 26 Aug. 2011
Mr. G. G. Day (England) - See all my reviews
Having received this book within 2 days on the Amazon free delivery, I eagerly went straight into reading the Book, From the basics of Matamatics to slightly more complicated Maths, this book has a great way of teaching you in an easy "Janet & John" language, a God send from the days when teaching Maths at school was not only boring, but also coming out of lessons with the same blank look on your face you went in with.
I am in my late fifties and I wanted to learn some more Maths to keep my mind active, it will also help with one of my Hobbies Astronomy, It's true that we don't realise how many times a day we need to use Matamatics in every day life, and I have also learnt if " you don't use use it you will loose it" so keep practicing maths and start to enjoy it like I am. Thanks to Trevor Johnson & Hugh Neill for this book I only wish they were around in my day and at my school but it's never to late to learn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and very useful, 9 Jan. 2012
The book arrived promptly and I have already used it a lot in the tutoring that I do. The various topics are neatly and clearly set out, with excellent step-by-step examples and a very good selection of practice questions. The book is small and compact but holds a great array of information and exercises. I highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars The life changer, 21 Feb. 2015
I have always hated the maths in school. I thought I am simply too dumb to understand it. When I turned 30 I though, let re-visit the subject, just for fun... I have purchased this book for about six pounds, read it from first page to last. And now I am in the first year of doing degree in Physics.
If you lack the total basics in maths because you though 'what is the point in learning this?' then this book is probably the best starting point in your understating of the subject. Of course it will not prepare you for the uni but gives a solid foundation from which you can build up on.

3.0 out of 5 stars More explainations needed, 12 Mar. 2012
When I started this book I found it to be very useful. As you get further into it and things start getting more complicated, you could find yourself wanting to pull your hair out. Each section has exercises for you to do, with the answers in the back. That is all it gives you though, answers with no guidance of that answer. So you have to figure out yourself how these conclusions came about. This also happens through chapters, 1 minute you understand and the next something crops up and you go WHAT! For instance chapter on directed numbers. A question like this happens. ' An addition like 4+(-1) has to be written in a different form before you can apply this method. These three simple additions can be used to introduce the different form. 4+2=6. 4+1=5. 4+0=4. '. Excuse me!!! Where did those come from, they explain to me nothing about the original problem, and the writer most certainly does not explain. I guess because they know math, they seem to not want to explain these things which may be easy for them, but we seem to need powers of reading their minds. This book is good to an extent in the beginning, however too many of the same kind of non explaination continues throughout the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars It delivers what it says on the tin, and attractively., 14 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Mathematics: A Complete Introduction: Teach Yourself (Teach Yourself: Math & Science) (Paperback)
Clear treatment of maths as I understood it up to 1953 (for what is now called GCSE level. When my elder son prepared for his GCSE maths in 1976, with me alongside some of the time, his work included modern, and new-to-me notations, such as vectors. Interestingly, this book has no content that is different to my maths of the early 50's. More pertinently, my lifetime of design, development and management in mechanical engineering has required nothing more than this book's treatment of arithmetic, powers & roots, notations, algebra, trigonometry & statistics (with the exception of distributions). Whilst I studied calculus for HNC Mech Eng and found it illuminating, I have never had cause to apply it>

5.0 out of 5 stars A very usefull book., 21 Feb. 2013
I have found this book very helpfull and well laid out and with enough to cover many aspects, and helpfull hints and tips.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I have ever bought!, 23 Mar. 2014
I cannot recommend this book enough. I'm 25 and went back to college this year to do higher maths. This book has been my go to when I've been stuck on a new subject.

The book is broken down into subject areas, you are provided with all the information you need for the subject and examples to help you understand the explanations, at the end of each section there is an excersise to test your understanding on the subject and the answers are provided in the back of the book.

I gave up on maths pretty quickly in school but the easy explanations and examples in this book have made the subject easy to understand and remember, in just a few months I have quite literally become a wizz with algebra and I could not be happier that I bough this book!!