4.0 out of 5 stars Great beginner's course
I'm very pleased with the book and CDs. The book is very nicely structured, the exercises are not at all boring, and the CD complements the book perfectly. Also, the voices on the CD are pleasant, I usually find it difficult to listen to a language CD if the voices are annoying (but that's just me).
I didn't give 5 stars to my review because I don't think that what...
Published on 22 Sep 2010 by Cristina

1.0 out of 5 stars No CD's
I bought the Kindle version. In the blurb it talks of CD's and there is nothing I can see that says you do not get an electronic copy of these CD's on your Kindle. No doubt there is something in the small print that says this but I can't see it. When you start to read the book, it says the CD's are important. So I've sent it back. What a waste of time.
Published 2 months ago by tom

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great beginner's course, 22 Sep 2010
I didn't give 5 stars to my review because I don't think that what the book promises: "takes you effortlessly from beginner to confident speaker" is necessarily true. I don't think that only this book (or any other book for that matter) allows you to be a confident speaker after you complete it. The book is just the basis, you have to interact to native speakers, listen to German Radio and watch German TV programmes etc.
So, anyway, great beginner's course, haven't found any other on the market that's better. I hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent independent tool for learning German, 14 May 2010
This is an excellent tool for those who want to learn German independently. There are a lot of similar books on the market but this has the advantage of taking you past the basic stages of language learning (to B2) without the learner having to resort to expensive language schools! The explanations are clear and the material straightforward to use. What is particularly useful is the content is directed towards those who want to use German in practical situations. I would wholeheartedly recommend it! I am also looking forward to trying out Perfect Your German.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great- As expected, 1 Jan 2012
The 'Teach Yourself' series is my go-to guide for language learning. I've learnt French to a B2 level with their Complete French course and now, I'm loving this German course as well! Very straight-forward. Another series I like to use is the 'Oxford's Take Off in....'. Both of these are reasonably priced and offer a lot of good material.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Product!, 24 July 2012
I use this product to reattain a previous level I had in the language a few years ago. I feel that the units are set up in a good order and are not too long or overly complicated, which can be discouraging sometimes.

The CDs really do help with listening skills and can help you with pronunciation if you do not know some of the rules of pronunciation in German.

The book starts off quite easy and gets more complex, introducing grammar concepts and longer sentences to push your level of understanding up as you go along.

My only criticism is that it claims to get you to Level 4 on the Common European Language Framework, which it claims to be the equivalent of an A-Level. Unless the A-Level has got considerably easier since I did it 7 years ago, it is more like a higher GCSE/lower AS Level.

This is a quality product for those who wish to start the language up, or like me, wish to get back into it after a long break!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Course, 10 Aug 2012
E. Smith (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I've tried quite a few different language courses over the years and I was pleasantly surprised by this one. The book is quite compact, but it packs a lot into the colourful pages, with 23 chapters covering many different aspects of the language and situations you're likely to use it in.

I particularly liked the fact that the 2 CDs had a huge 110 short tracks over them, which makes it very easy and not at all frustrating to repeat the tracks so that you can be sure of the punctuation.

The style of teaching in the book is less dry than many others and I found the simple explanations given quite helpful when trying to understand the complexities of German grammar.

Having a reasonable basic understanding of German, this book was more of a revision for me, but even so I'm a bit dubious that it would take anyone to to the claimed Level 4 understanding and conversation level without a serious amount of speaking, constant revision and further reading.

I've bought 6 of the Teach Yourself German books - vocab, grammar, Perfect Your German etc, so we'll see how the whole package fits together and just how far it realistically takes me. So far, I've no regrets about the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars EASY LEARN, 6 Aug 2012
Huge book along with CD, looks a bit daunting at first. Really easy to understand and enjoyable way to learn a language

5.0 out of 5 stars Complete German Review, 12 July 2012
I found this book and CD excellent although I am only 4 units into it. Instructions are very clear and easy to understand, with the German alongside English. Although there are many units, they are short, so I tend to do one every day or every other day for about 20 minutes. Each unit has a test yourself section at the end for consolidation. What I also like is that you are introduced to new vocab and grammar and then given exercises to help implement it. And just when you're feeling confused or unsure, things are explained in depth. I would recommend this book for anyone who wants to learn German and knows absolutely nothing, like me! I have already learned quite a bit.

The only criticism I would have is that there is not much space to write in it but this is not much of a problem as I also use a separate notebook. The book itself is quite small and lightweight so it's easy to carry around.

The exercises are practical and interesting. This book is definitely not boring and keeps you engaged throughout. Very pleased with this buy and hopefully I will be able to speak German soon!

1.0 out of 5 stars No CD's, 1 July 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Comment and query, 18 May 2014
This review is from: Teach Yourself Complete German (Book/CD Pack) (Teach Yourself Language) (Paperback)
Very good, but the only disappointment was that I cannot play the CD Rom on my walkman or my radio. Why is that?

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern German, 24 Dec 2012
Bought for a friend who is studying German in her spare time and what a difference this set has made!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Teach Yourself Complete German (Book/CD Pack) (Teach Yourself Language)
26.69