on 13 March 2012
I like this course very much, but for a learner it is confusing that speakers come from different parts of the world and therefore pronounce certain sounds differently (as do speakers of English and French, of course). I realise that the idea may be to prepare learners for the different types of Spanish that they will encounter if they do not confine themselves to visiting Spain but go to Latin America as well, but for learning purposes it would be much better if the dialogues were to stick to European Spanish, and if a separate course were to be issued for Latin American Spanish.
on 19 January 2015
It may be quite good, but they make it clear that the audio is essential (of course) - and there's no lookup between the tracks of the CDs and the chapters of the book! There's cryptic numbers like "24.03" next to an icon which looks like headphones, but nowhere in the book is there an explaination of where I find the tracks. This might be not so bad for the beginner who starts from the beginning (and is going to make a carful not where they are up to in the tracks) but no use if you want to dip in because you already have some spanish. Am I missing something from the package? there was just one book and 2 CDs, nothing else.

Update: I started going through it, and there's NO relationship between the book content and the CDs! I guess they updated the book but not the CDs- or has there been s drop-off in production?
on 1 August 2013
This is an excellent introduction to written and spoken Spanish. I found it very easy to learn from this course, even though I knew almost no Spanish when I started. The course uses examples from practical, real-life situations throughout, so right from the start, I was learning words and phrases that will be useful.

The course teaches the dialect of Spanish that is spoken in mainland Spain, but the author frequently highlights the important differences in pronunciation and word usage that you'll encounter in Latin America and in regions of Spain such as the Canary Islands.

CAVEAT: If you're planning to buy this product, please note that it includes the same pair of audio CDs that Amazon sells separately as "Teach Yourself Complete Spanish: Audio Support", and which it lists under the "Frequently Bought Together" heading. This is very misleading and confusing. If you click "Add both to basket", you'll end up with two sets of the audio CDs, and you'll have to return the extra set to Amazon!
on 4 March 2015
Like a few others I fell into the trap of buying the book, nor realising it was to be used in conjunction with an audio CD .... and for a few weeks the book lay on the bookshelf until I was able to buy the CDs at a reasonable price (with another book !!!).

Assuming you have both the book and the CDs then there are positives an negatives. On the plus side there is a lot of content and a wide range of exercises to keep you interested, it also kicks off with phrases and vocab you can quickly use in everyday life. Now to the negatives ... not sure if it is just me but I find it difficult to correlate the audio CD tracks with the book, the 'Get Talking Spanish in 10 Days' CD/Booklet by the same author/publisher has very clear references to the CD tracks in the booklet so why not here? Again, it may be me but I find the Spanish spoken on the CD just a little fast for a novice speaker to learn from. Presentation wise the book is a bit of a throwback to a school exercise book, having just purchased the excellent 'Spanish/English Visual Dictionary' and '15 Minute Spanish Learnt in 12 Weeks' both by DK I was expecting a little more.

To summarise this is a good learning tool but it could be so much better with a little further development.
on 7 January 2011
This is the best language learning course I have ever seen. The book is clearly set out, and the CDs are clearly spoken and really help with your pronounciation. I still can't believe how cheap it is!!!!

¡Muy bien!
on 3 October 2011
This is an attractive and effective way to learn everyday Spanish. The scenarios are realistic, the vocabulary up to date and the exercises challenging enough to make you feel good but not so hard as to be discouraging. I have absolutely no criticism whatsoever. (I did spot one typo but I forget where it was).
on 15 September 2010
I've been learning Spanish for about 4-5 years now and it's fair to say I've bought a lot of books in my quest to speak the language. I think this book, at least for me, is the best book I've seen. It covers so much for one book. There's no substitute for hard work and any book you buy will only be as good as the effort you put into learning the language. That said, this is a very good book to have if you're serious about learning this brilliant language
on 14 November 2010
I am trying to brush up my Spanish and this course seemed to be the right one for the job. It covers a lot, has plenty of revision drills. Not that it matters much, but paper quality and pictures are quite pleasing. On the minus side, somethings look a bit strange, there may be some typos.
on 1 May 2014
Badly set out - no flow or symmetry, making the whole system very confusing.
Very disappointing and a complete waste of money
on 14 April 2011
I have learnt so much from beginning till now, I still have aq long way to go but I am enjoying it which means I will still stick at it. I would advise anyone to buy this product. very informative and useful in everyday situations, I am also saying random things at work and at home to confuse my work collegues and partner as they do not speak spanish and they are very much impressed at how quickly I am saying full sentences, surely this is also an added attraction to people wanting to buy this item!!