TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 October 2012
My last girlfriend was Polish and only spoke okay English which I was always correcting. To give her a chance at getting her own back I bought this so I could learn a bit more Polish than she taught me when we were together. The format is very good in that it teaches words you would use in a conversation instead of just verbs etc as with other course. The only problem I had is with the price, it being about half again of the other languages using the Michael Thomas Method.

The format of the lessons is that you are the third member of a class that is being taught by a Polish speaker to two other non Polish speaking English people. Every time the teacher has another word to learn you are given the first opportunity to answer before one of the other two. Each chapter (track) on the CD's give you about twenty words to learn and these are often repeated in the next chapter so that the words and phrases sink in.

If you are not learing Polish, but instead going for another language, I would heartily recommend Paul Noble as his Italian,French,Spanish and German are all half the price of the Michel Thomas courses but are twice as good, the only difference being that it is only Paul and his assistant that are doing the translations and not the two other students as with the Michel Thomas CD's. I am currently learning Italian for my holidays and am finding it a lot easier that the Polish, partly because the language is easier but also because the format of the lessons are identical to the Michel Thomas method (why pay twice as much for the same thing).

So, recommended for those who wish to learn Polish and can afford it, not recommended if you want to learn any other language and haven't got money to burn.
on 26 March 2014
I've just finished this course, and I thought it was excellent.

Polish is not easy. As a veteran of other Michel Thomas courses, I proudly boasted to my Polish girlfriend I could learn Polish in a month. In reality, it has taken me six months (to the day) to finish the 8 CDs. This is because Polish is quite hard to pronounce. I joke that when they were making Polish, the vocabulary was chosen by randomly throwing scrabble letters on the floor. There's a preponderance of c's and z's, and a few nasal sounds, which are a challenge to pronounce correctly. I spent 2 weeks at least on 'chcę'.

However, having said that, in a short time my girlfriend was absolutely amazed at my progress. In years of living in England she hadn't come across anyone who'd made this kind of effort. Speaking of which, the reactions I have got to speaking to other Poles has been the best of any language I've studied. They are genuinely flabbergasted at my 'accent' which has been a terrific and highly motivating response. Polish acquaintances' jaws have literally dropped to the floor. I overheard some Polish women in a nightclub while queuing and they were amazed when I said 'Excuse me' as I made my way past them. 'Is he Polish?', they asked each other.

The grammar, at first, I thought was similar to Spanish. But as you progress to CDs 7 & 8, you begin to realise that it becomes almost unnecessarily complicated. This is just a fact you have to accept, but I found myself, when pausing to say the phrase, first swearing out loud, then laughing (like you do when you're in pain), then good-naturedly having an attempt. The students on the course are just about right. At some stages I felt the man was a bit too good, and perhaps had previous knowledge. The lady feels genuine and made similar mistakes to me as I went along.

Some of the grammar differences to English include a negative 'it', which seems to be overkill, gender agreement with adjectives (ok if you're familiar with French/Spanish), gender agreement in the past-tense (why?), e.g. 'I was' is different for a man than a woman - bylem, bylam, respectively.

Considering its complexity, the course tackles these extremely well and in a very concise and logical manner. I couldn't imagine unpicking this grammar in any other way. The teacher follows the MT method EXACTLY and she does a terrific job. It is obvious a lot of thought and preparation has gone into this.

Michel was Polish - this course has a coming home feeling to it, and you start to see how some of his ideas for other languages and his famous method were germinated from Polish.

All in all, a fabulous and exciting experience, and I look forward to the next course of 4 CDs.
on 8 January 2014
It's fundamental, repetetive (in a positive way, to drill it in to you); teaches you more than the usual 'How to buy a ham sandwich'; starts to get to grips with grammatical points that you need in daily usage, to bhe understood. I have tried the other less expensive courses, but decided i wanted to go further - this is worth the money. Some reveiwers have criticised the lady who runs the course - I find her very, very persuasive, preceptive of errors and makes the students self-correct. You don't learn a language if you don't give it some effort and this series makes you learn. An awful lot is covered in 7 discs - go for it.
on 16 December 2013
These Polish audio lessons (8 basic + 4 advanced CD-s) could be almost perfect, but they have some serious faults.

- DO NOT think, that you will learn basic Polish from these. This language is so complex that you will still need some books and thematic dictionaries.

- The teacher. My Polish girlfriend said that she is not Polish, and that she speaks Polish with a funny accent. And I won't even mention the accent of the students...

If there were 10 more CD-s, I would say that this the best teaching material for Polish. 12 discs are just not enough.

Still worths a try, still!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
a great way to learn a new language put time and effort and you will always get what you want out of this