4.0 out of 5 stars Teach yourself bookkeeping and accounting in a week
Published on 20 May 2012 by Tony

2.0 out of 5 stars Mistake in the very first worked example!
Published 11 months ago by Ollie C

2.0 out of 5 stars Mistake in the very first worked example!, 2 Sep 2013
I was hesitant to buy this as the reviews were mixed but it was the best I could find. I got as far as the first worked example, where there's a glaring mistake in it, and after spending so long prior to that scratching my head wondering how what the author was saying could make sense I realised it doesn't, the example's just wrong. Up to that point I'd already struggled with the writing style and the difficulty I had in keeping up with what the author was saying. I hate it when teachers and authors explain things in a way that they understand, and fail to realise others are reading to learn, they don't know it. I gave up with the book at that point and instead bought Accounts Demystified, which is drastically better written, and how taught me (after a very long time!) how to fully understand the balance sheet, credits and debits. I recommend you buy that book, not this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Teach yourself bookkeeping and accounting in a week, 20 May 2012
This review is from: Teach Yourself Bookkeeping and Accounting in a Week (Paperback)
For people in business who see financial statements as a bewildering collection of rows and columns of numbers, this book simplifies them considerably. For me, it was presented in manageable chunks of learning, set out as daily lessons. I tried to stick to these chapters and was able to fit them easily into my daily schedules - it meant I was never faced with too much indigestible learning at any one time. It won't turn you into an accountant overnight but it will help you to sound more convincing when you next have to discuss financial statements with your company's accountant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very handy - shows you the basics, 18 Jun 2012
Daniel Park "danielpark99" (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a handy primer for the accountancy novice. It explains the basic principles of accounting in bite-size portions over a week of chapters. The style of writing is straightforward and friendly - the cartoons were an unexpected bonus. By the end of the book you will understand how to read the main parts of a company report, and how the main figures within that report have been created.

Please note that this book may date quickly, as tax rules and rates can change quite regularly - a reference to the London Olympics won't help either!

3.0 out of 5 stars Bookkeeping and Accounting, 18 Nov 2012
Very small and compact book, slightly disappointed in the overall size of it. However, it is a very basic introduction to bookkeeping and accounting. Chapters are informative but compact and small. It did, however, provided a brief overview for myself and assisted myself in understanding some of the basic principles.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, 2 Nov 2012
I found the book very helpful and challenging. It definitely shed much light on the subject of accounts and I found the section on how understand company accounts particularly interesting.
I thought that on the section where we were asked to reconcile accounts, it would have been better to have a pull-out sheet of the information to tick - as I don't like to mark books with pen/pencil marks. Alternatively, they could have had a web-site that you could print a sheet with the information on.
However, all in all, a great book.

4.0 out of 5 stars good, 27 Mar 2014
This book was easy reading not too hard to understand unlike other books of the same thing. I also found the book very useful for the bookkeeping course I needed it for.

4.0 out of 5 stars bookkeeping in a week, 17 Nov 2013
I think this would be better for me if there was an example that showed the information and double entry on the same page. Having to flip backwards and forwards to get the idea doesn't work for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Leaves vital details out, contains errors., 13 Oct 2013
I didn't get on with this book at all. It leaves out major pieces of information that allow you to get your head around things. Does not explain the differences between debits and credits for assets, liabilities and equity which means it literally makes no logical sense if its your only resource. As another reviewer pointed out, it contains mistakes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 9 Oct 2013
This book is a perfect addition to others. It helped me to understand the accounting processes quickly and easily which enabled me to complete my course.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful as an overview, 3 Oct 2013
David James (London) - See all my reviews
I found this book to be very useful indeed. I have just started to learn all about Book Keeping and I found this was a really great over view.

The chapter sizes and information contained in them all went in pretty easily, even though I have no prior Accounting or Book Keeping experience. I did manage to stick to the chapter a day routine too even with only a 30min commute to work each day. I also found the first half of the chapter I had read on the way into work had stuck in my mind by the end of the day when I was reading the book on my return home commuting leg.

Don't think this will teach you everything you need to know and you will become and Accountant or even Book Keeper by the end of the week. But it does give a very good over view indeed.

Teach Yourself Bookkeeping and Accounting in a Week
Teach Yourself Bookkeeping and Accounting in a Week by Roger Mason (Paperback - 30 Mar 2012)
5.24