on 10 April 2012
This book and CD pack perfectly bridges the gap between GCSE/AS Level or beginner/intermediate level with the Open University. The first units revise and consolidate previous knowledge and the units then become progressively more complex and challenging. The topics are interesting and relevant, especially for adult learners and the exercises will help you get the most out of the authentic recordings.

My only problem with this pack is the CD. There are generally three audio recordings per unit and for some inexplicable reason, each of these is on one track (i.e. one track per unit)This makes re-playing individual recordings a pain, especially if, like me, you want to listen to the CD in the car. I found this so irritating, that I would only listen to each track once and would then use the transcript to clarify anything I hadn't understood. This does somewhat defeat the object. I hope that future editions will have a separate track for each recording, which would make this pretty damn-near perfect.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I went straight on to this after having been through Complete German: Teach Yourself (Book/CD Pack), athough I had enough knowledge for the other course to be mostly revision. I found that this definitely stretched me, with lots of idiomatic speech and expressions that don't come naturally.

The book is clearly of an older style than the revamped main course, with cheaper paper and no colour, but the main difference is that instead of 110 mp3 tracks over 2 hours, this has only 10. That obviously means that easily repeating phrases or passages is out of the question, but the reality is that your knowledge of German should be good enough now for you to understand fairly well what's being said.

I've only been through the book once, at a chapter a night, but will definitely revisit it as soon as I've had a week to go through 50 Ways To Improve Your German: Teach Yourself.

I'm not sorry I've bought it, which means that it's doing something right.

Update - I've just listened to about 3 hours of the Michel Thomas Advanced German and gave up as it was so slow and frustrating, not to mention confusing. I now listen to both these TY cds twice a week and can honestly say that (IMHO) they're streets ahead of Michel Thomas, in that you're listening to real Germans having sensible discussions that stretch you. Having looked around, the only thing more advanced than this seems to be internet radio.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again