5.0 out of 5 stars Heel goed!
This teach-yourself-language course is the best I've ever tried. For a start I bought this introductory course, but after listening to it I immediately ordered the "total dutch". It turns out that "start dutch" is in fact the first lesson in "total dutch" - so no need to buy it if you are going to buy the "total dutch" anyway.
Published on 27 Sep 2011 by akd

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much hype...
Published 10 months ago by Mr. C. G. Connolly

5.0 out of 5 stars Heel goed!, 27 Sep 2011
This review is from: Start Dutch (Learn Dutch with the Michel Thomas Method) (Audio CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Without doubt the best language course around, 21 Mar 2013
I bought this when we moved to the Netherlands. It is brilliant. You have to listen to each CD a few times, but, after using this as my only learning aid, a few times a week for around 30 minutes a time, I now speak, and understand Dutch with some degree of fluency. Answering the phone, making appointments, going shopping and chatting are not as daunting as they once were. I would recomend this to anyone. Its fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever Clogs!, 10 July 2013
I am more than half way through "Start Dutch With The Michael Thomas Method".When I did Italian at evening class, I found the Michael Thomas Italian CDs an exceptional help.Now,on the eve of my first Dutch holiday,I am chatting away!As you listen to each CD,you feel as if you are in a tutorial with two others, and you can join in.It does NOT matter that, in the CD,the other two students stumble from time to time.It makes the experience even more realistic.Maybe I am progressing faster than anticipated as I already know German and they are similar,though,at times,I fall into the trap of using the German word which is inappropriate.Like one of the students,I sometimes used the German word for "When".My one disappointment is that I was half way through the CDs before I learned the basic pleasantries like Hello,how are you and goodbye,please and thank you,but that is a minor quibble.

5.0 out of 5 stars Basic and brilliant, 9 Mar 2012
I came across Michel Thomas a few years ago (the man himself) when I bought the beginners' French course - for a bit of a lark, really, as I'm not a beginner in French - and was incredibly impressed by the method and content, the way words build quickly into useful phrases which you can play about with later and use to construct other useful phrases. This Dutch course is slightly different - less vocab (no lists of months, days, numbers) but it's very impressive. I haven't got to the end yet - which is partly why I'm writing this review now, to say how amazed I am by my progress.The CDs arrived the day before yesterday, and I've got about halfway through. Het is heel goed! (It's very good!) Great to listen to while driving. I particularly like the way we hear the beginner students trying things out and not always getting them right - very reassuring. And of course they're gently corrected before being allowed to move on. It's all so hypnotic you can find yourself getting way past the point where you're (apparently) still absorbing information; but when you get back to that point the next time you use the course, you find you were taking it in after all. I wish I'd been taught French like this at school - I'd have so much more confidence. I regularly go to a part of France where the Dutch outnumber the French at most social gatherings, so I thought I'd just learn a few words to be friendly (and not feel so overwhelmed, as until now I didn't know a word of Dutch); now I'm wondering if the next step won't be the more advanced Dutch course! If you want to put a toe in the water with Dutch, you really can't go wrong with this course.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great start, 14 Jun 2012
This may not be Michael Thomas but uses the sane techniques and is a fab introduction to learning Dutch. I only wish I could afford the full set!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good taster for learning Dutch, 20 July 2013
I really like this way of learning a language. This package is fine but if you are sure that you want to learn Dutch (I wasn't) it would be more cost effective to purchase the Foundation package.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dutch By Michel Thomas's female counterpart!, 3 Jan 2012
I was so pleased to find this addition to the languages associated with Michel Thomas and his superb method of teaching a language. Learning from a native speaker is so much better than listening to someone trying to pronounce this especially "gutteral" language. Only just started into it but its great!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant CD, 8 Nov 2013
I find this easy to follow.
, the dutch is not spoken too quickly therefore it is much easier to understand.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much hype..., 6 Jun 2013
Not as good as I thought or was instructed by virtual tutor. Apparently all the responsibility for learning was with the tutor! Don't believe this - not as easy as it sounds. Listening to the first CD over and over again and still not clear! To begin with she gives you time to answer and repeat the learning then suddenly the students take over and answer all questions...don't be fooled by this or celebrity references! Probably a good companion to 1:1 tutorials or lessons - nothing more!!

ARRAY(0xa54f74e0)

Start Dutch (Learn Dutch with the Michel Thomas Method)
Start Dutch (Learn Dutch with the Michel Thomas Method) by Els Van Geyte (Audio CD - 27 May 2011)
10.87
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available