5.0 out of 5 stars Very sfficient, gradual
Published on 30 July 2012 by Mr. Michael Domnin

2.0 out of 5 stars Think carefully!
Published 8 months ago by A. S. Malloy

5.0 out of 5 stars Very sfficient, gradual, 30 July 2012
This review is from: Total Portuguese (Learn Portuguese with the Michel Thomas Method) (Audio CD)
I've completed 3 CDs out of 8 of Total Portuguese. I find the method very gradual, intuitive and through. Yes, there is one of the student who seems to get it wrong most of the time. For me, this is a bonus, because this confirms that I haven't got it wrong! Sometimes I do make mistakes. But on the whole, the method builds on a few words. If there is an analogy with the English, it is given. Then you practice vy repeating the "no"-form and the question-form. Words are added to the sentence that you have to repeat. Example: How do you say go out? Sair. Please tell me, I want to go out, Quero sair. I want to go out with you, Quero sair com o senhor. I want to go out with you tonight, quero sair com o senhor esta noite, etc. i tis this build-up of sentences which makes the method invaluable, because you learn how to make sentences yourself. That's the brilliant part about the method.
The teacher helps herself with a Portuguese native to Portugal to speak the words with the native accent. This is invaluable too.
For me, this is really quite a remarkable course.. Highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Think carefully!, 2 April 2014
A. S. Malloy (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The language course itself is very good with a logical progression, but something must have gone wrong in production! We have an iMac and a MacBook Pro, and this course won't play on either of them. The discs couldn't be read on one of them and jammed the cd reader on the other. As luck would have it we also have an old PC laptop and the course does play on that, but you cannot import the tracks. The disadvantage therefore is that I can only listen to the course from the PC laptop when I have the actual discs with me, whereas I would have liked to have uploaded the discs to iTunes and listened to the course from my iPad or iPod! See other reviews for technical difficulties. As Michel Thomas always looked to make life easy, I'm sure this is not what he would have wanted! Technical difficulties impede learning, so perhaps look for other audio courses before going for this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A comprehensive audio course for a beginner., 16 Aug 2012
I have just finished the whole 8 CD course included in this product, and have to say I am very impressed. The format of the course is a classroom - there is a teacher, two students who learn with you and a native speaker. As you go through the course you are taught how to build sentences very gradually using common verbs and phrases. The teacher will tell you a verb or word - then ask you a sentence. You have to pause the CD and talk aloud. Then resume the CD and you hear one of the students attempting. It finishes with the native speaker telling you how it should be pronounced. The two students are at different levels (one keeps getting things wrong and the other is quite good - this is clever as you are encouraged by being better than one and try to get as good as the other student!) It is very conversational and natural unlike a lot of other courses - this keeps it interesting.

The course is also very useful as it helps you construct sentences, and unlike other audio courses it is not just via repetition of the same words. (which quickly becomes incredibly boring.) It also tells you how to convert English words into Portuguese (for example "..able" becomes "..ivel") and later in the course helps you learn tenses via changing sounds. It covers the present and present continuous, imperative, conditional, future and preterite. For some reason the imperfect is not included but this must be in the advance course.

Another reason the course is so good is that it really focuses on pronunciation - and particularly pronunciation of different tenses - this is important as some different tenses are spelt the same but are pronounced differently (for example compraram (they will buy) and compraram (they bought) only differ in where you stress the word.) This is where an audio course really excels compared to a written or book course.

I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants/needs to learn portuguese and is a complete beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good Portuguese course, 13 Sep 2014
This is a very good product which works on the basis of a simple but very good method, though you get out what you put in - I do the course in the mornings on the train to work and my fellow passengers are bemused when I repeat the sentences under my breath. The other reviews are correct and it is useful going through the course with the two (occasionally stumbling) students and Paulo, the native Portuguese speaker with a very nice sonorous Portuguese voice. I am on disk 2 and it is slow going for me but I am already gaining confidence and am able to predict how to say what the teacher asks for. I would recommend this course. I would suggest that lessons (which are about 5-8 minutes in length) are repeated 3-4 times.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality CDs and bad final production, 30 Nov 2012
C. I. Evans (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This course was a total non-starter.
I had the first set replaced when certain CDs were unreadable - more of them were unreadable in the second set and the third time round, they did not have anything to send me and refunded the money. Amazon were great. The replacements arrived before I had dispatched the faulty goods and the refund was immediately in my account.
Now like most people wanting to do this course, I intended to copy the content to iTunes and load it onto a portable MP3 player. With Polish and Russian, which I have also done, all the tracks imported. The Polish version was sorted automatically into the correct order (lessons 1 to 50-or whatever) whereas Russian tracks I had to sort manually. The Portuguese tracks that I was able to get off were not able to pull in track names from Gracenotes and were thus named "Untitled 1" to 10 etc on each CD and would not hold a manually sorted order thereafter, regardless what I tried. This would mean that it would want to play "Untitled 1" from the first CD followed by "Untitled 1" on the second.
Being a reasonable sort and knowing that this was the 'New' series, I wrote to them with details of my experience and asking if a second edition was due once the clearly needed recall had happened . . . . ( the initial production studio fired and a new lot put on the job, etc.)
I never got a reply. It was actually difficult to find someone to contact in the first instance - shades of RyanAir.
Until this product is relaunched, don't bother. Try and source a second-hand version of the old Portuguese course. The Michel Thomas method is great but the company obviously lost some vital skilled people when they set about refreshing the line-up, making silly errors and showing corner- and cost-cutting in the new series.

2.0 out of 5 stars In less your sat down doing nothing but this audio course, it's in unusable, 16 Dec 2013
The course content its self is okay, but I've used a few audio only courses and found them much easier to get along with than the Michel Thomas method.
The main reason for this, is that you learn alongside two other students in a fake classroom situation, but the course doesn't leave pauses for you take part.

Instead when the teacher asks a questions, one of the two students answers immediately. This means that you never think for yourself and you begin to just listen to them speaking and don't take part yourself, which doesn't really help you learn. This also becomes very boring.

At the beginning of the course you are told to stop the course every time they ask a question to give yourself time to answer. I listen to the course on my MP3 player or phone while walking to work and doing other activities, and holding the phone so I can pause it every 10 seconds its unpractical and really annoying. I guess if your sat at home and want to pause it every 10 seconds to answer the questions yourself then the course would be okay, but there are plenty of other purely audio courses on the market that just leave a pause in audio for you to take part without all the messing about.

5.0 out of 5 stars very gradual, 19 May 2014
I'm moving to Portugal after finishing my studies so basic Portuguese, especially European Portuguese is very necessary. Even the dictionaries I found in bookstores focus only on Brazilian Portuguese so this Euro Portuguese course is invaluable. Before learning Portuguese I have studied Spanish for a few years so the words are not alien to me. However Portuguese does have a few situations where knowledge of Spanish fails to fit. and this is dealt with throughout the course with ease and those rules I used to memorise are "melted" within the learning process. I'm in the middle of CD 6 and it's going great.

Maybe a few cons would be that there is no natural interval between the question and answer so I need to hit stop when thinking about a long sentence. besides, the female student seems to have some knowledge of Spanish or French? She tries to pronounce every word with a Spanish pronunciation, yet making many many mistakes, some of which are exactly the same ones. This really wastes a lot of time. A 7 min audio is always filled up with at least 2 min of re-explaining to the woman.

cons aside, it's definitief worth purchasing and worth the money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Content Great, Technical Glitch Equals Fail, 9 Jan 2012
I have tried the Introductory Spanish and Portuguese by the same method and was very excited to get hold of the Total Portuguese. I was disappointed when, for a package that sells itself as being for on the move (Stereo, Car, MP3!!), I put these discs into my Mac and discs 2 and 4 were spat back out unreadable! Amazon was great with the return and sent me a replacement copy - only to have the same problem happen with the same two discs - refund time. I'm very disappointed and hope the publishers sort it out. Unfortunately, if it takes much longer I will have to try a different method altogether!

5.0 out of 5 stars Total portuguese, 19 Feb 2013
I've already used the Michel Thomas Polish. I find this approach really suits me especially alongside more traditional grammar books.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad spelling, 12 Jun 2012
I hope the bad spelling of the title is intentional, otherwise, why buy a PORTUGUESE teaching book by an author (or editor) who can't even spell PORTUGUESE!

Total Portuguese (Learn Portuguese with the Michel Thomas Method)
Total Portuguese (Learn Portuguese with the Michel Thomas Method) by Virginia Catmur (Audio CD - 25 Nov 2011)