4.0 out of 5 stars Taster of the Michel Thomas' Method - Italian
If you have never come across the Michel Thomas language courses, and you want to see if his method and style will work for you, and you want to learn Italian, this is a good taster. Like the previous review said, it's not going to get you around Italy unless you do more work.

Published on 26 Aug. 2011 by stripeyunited

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting
I bought this because I wanted something educational to kill the 20 min drive to work. I couldn't afford the full set, so I bought this. For the past week it's been interesting, but it's too short to learn anything really. It's peaked my interest, and I'm about to purchase the full kit (and in other languages later on.)

I think if you want to learn a language...
Published on 19 Aug. 2011 by James Hollinshead

4.0 out of 5 stars Taster of the Michel Thomas' Method - Italian, 26 Aug. 2011
stripeyunited - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Start Italian (Learn Italian with the Michel Thomas Method) (Paperback)

I decided to get this rather than pay for the full course, in case it wasn't for me. Having confirmed to myself that this method will work for me, I will be getting the Total Italian course.

You definitely need to have a finger constantly on the pause button as the information is coming at you extremely fast. The simulated classroom environment (2 other students learning alongside you) is relaxing. There is one male and one female student, both with UK English accents, and they fumble and make mistakes, so you do feel a certain kinship with them as you make your own attempts.

This method launches you straight into building sentences, with any grammatical points explained along the way, but it is not dry stuff that you don't need for the immediate exercise you are doing.

Another plus point for those embarking on (or resuming) learning as a busy adult if you drive and have a CD player - you can do the couse in the car (providing you can easily and quickly access that pause button) and there is absolutely no homework to do! This makes it supremely easy to get on with picking up a new language, or brushing up on one you're rusty in. If you travel on public transport it will admittedly be a bit more difficult, but if you are walking you could do it then.

The focus is entirely on the spoken word - but then most of us wanting to use languages as adults want to speak (and most school language tuition in the UK, certainly in the past, has been too focused on reading and writing with the result that most of us have little or no confidence with speaking and communicating).

Let's face it - when you learn your native language you first learn by speaking, not reading and writing, so it makes perfect sense to do the same when learning another language, doesn't it?

Total Italian, here I come!

4.0 out of 5 stars A valuable learning tool, 25 Mar. 2012
Doc Barbara (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I bought this to brush up my Italian (learned so horribly long ago!) before a trip to Italy with a group of other English poets. It worked and I was the only one to be given a room with a balcony because I could chat to the hotel manager! The method is such that the learner is supposed to sit back and absorb while the teacher (Michel Thomas) takes two students through sentences concentrating largely on verbs. The listener has to pause the lesson frequently to have a go at the exercises him/herself and no extra homework is required. I confess to being too old-fashioned to accept that and did add to the disc with a phrase book etc. But he is a marvellous teacher and inspires confidence whilst correcting errors. A perfect combination! So why only 4 stars? Because would I prefer it to be more like those discs in the French course where he does without the slightly phoney students and gives more of the language spoken by himself. I am not convinced that it is helpful to listen to other people making mistakes however cheering it may seem!

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 19 Aug. 2011
James Hollinshead (London) - See all my reviews

I think if you want to learn a language you have to dive into the whole thing, dipping your toes in the water like with this CD. Buy the whole thing and you'll learn, but this CD won't get you in a position where you'd feel comfortable travelling in Italy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Course of CD's, 27 Nov. 2013
E. Moody (Ireland) - See all my reviews
his is a good product and I am working my way through it... its easy to understand but I am having problems finding the time to use it...

5.0 out of 5 stars A clear and open opinion., 17 April 2012
A novel and successful method of language learning, tried and tested over many years. Michel Thomas makes it clear that the teacher is a fault not the learner if this method does not work. Just listen and obsorb no writing no homework.
Must be tried by any serious learner.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great to familiarise you with the language, 28 Jun. 2013
Really good to help you form basic sentences and gain confidence. This combined with a small phrasebook meant I could ask most questions I needed, although I wasn't necessarily armed for the answers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 Sept. 2014
Yep very good

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 July 2014
very good

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Nov. 2014
Perfect.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 5 Dec. 2012
Do not buy this as it is a waste of money!.
I bought this as I thought it would give me the very basics in learning Italian, I had previously bought total Italian from another offer website but found it all a bit too much too soon, so thought start Italian would be the better first steps in learning to speak Italian. When the CD arrived I found out that it basically is the first CD in the total Italian set that I already have so it is in my mind a waste of money.

If you are starting from scratch then just buy total Italian but be aware that it is not how you would imagine starting to learn a new language, I was expecting to learn the basics first, numbers, days, dates and other basics but you start learning sentences which you don't really need and is a bit too much too quickly.

Start Italian (Learn Italian with the Michel Thomas Method)
Start Italian (Learn Italian with the Michel Thomas Method) by Michel Thomas (Paperback - 27 May 2011)