Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 March 2014
Who would have thought that inside an hour you would know how to ask in french "What do you think of the political and economical situation in France at present?" I agree you might want to park this question, but it does illustrate how Michel Thomas has devised a system that allows the student to make quick progress. If you're certain you want to learn more then opt for Michel Thomas "Total French", as this includes the content in "Start".
on 5 August 2014
Its ok, but word of advice. The disc in here is the same as Discs 1,2 and part of 3 in TOTAL French. So DONT buy both.
Its ok, bit tedious listening to other imaginary students, and puts you off a bit. You are trying to speak the French but you don't get time, because Michele is talking to the other students and you are totally "left out" so you never get the chance to a bit of peace and quiet to speak your bit. I get irritated with it quickly
on 28 May 2011
excellent intro to spoken French.
A much more natural way of speaking another language.
Was recommended to me by an English friend who lived in France for some years and is fluent in French speaking.
on 20 March 2016
Can't understand all the positive reviews for this. Didn't seem to be any structure to teaching French, nothing about basic grammar it just launches straight into repeating sentences with no opportunity to stop and repeat what's being said so you can practice pronunciation. Avoid.
on 3 January 2014
Have startred learning French again. Did it at school when I was 11 until 13! Always enjoyed it. Now 66 and thought I would have another go at it. I bought the Michel Thomas starter CD and it is very good. He demystifies French. I am also going to French lesson but think I am considering getting the next CD in the series.
on 4 September 2012
After hearing a lot of very good reviews on this product, I decided to purchase the Start French product. I was a bit hesitant at first because of the "No Books, No Writing" part and that it was 100% Audio (being able to read and write things I learn is a big thing for me because I'm more of a Visual Learner), however, to my surprise I managed to understand how the French Language works the more and more I listen to the individual tracks on the CD.. along the way, the Teacher provides brief but on point and EXTREMELY important information regarding pronunciation, it is especially helpful because a lot of French words have the same spelling in English but have different pronunciations!

After listening to just the first 5 Tracks, I have realised that I have managed to absorb EVERYTHING learnt so far without even realising it for myself (if that makes sense), I just somehow KNEW what to say out loud; but the bigger picture is I didn't even need to "memorise" everything the Teacher on the CD teaches me, he just gives me the right tools (some really useful Vocabulary) and I feel that I was given the opportunity to use my head and seriously think about how to say this and that using the Vocabulary that was provided. Gradually, as the Tracks are played one by one, the Vocabulary builds and thus allows me to make longer and more detailed sentences in French!

I can admit that I have not yet listened to the whole CD yet and people may think it a bit too early to write a review, but I wanted to write this particular review in order to stress the fact that only by listening to the first 5 Tracks on the CD, already I felt confident to play around with the Vocabulary and say sentences in French that wasn't actually taught to me on the CD.
on 9 November 2011
fantastic start to French.... makes a lot of sense to learn in this way.
if you were a child this is how you would learn.....
the method is very good for people who dont learn languages well out of text books.
for me this is perfect and i have already learnt plenty of words and phrases from this CD
I will definitely buy the next levels....

only thing which bugged me a little , is Michel's French accent... urgh!
on 21 May 2016
You will not believe how much you will learn from a single hour of audio.

I have a number of audio sets and books to learn French and by comparison this is by far the easiest, and most impressive. Without great effort or repetition you will find yourself able to ask and understand questuions such as "Do you have a reservation for me, this evening?", "What do you think of the political and economic situation in France at the moment?" and other equally daunting sounding propositions.

The key to such rapid learning is simple - the revelatuon that 60% of English language is derived from French - you already have a vast vocubulary at your disposal - and with a handful of French phrases or verbs to get you started you will be up and running in no time and able to construct complex seeming dialogue.

This is just the starter course. I will almost certainly be moving on and buying the further courses based on how impressed I am with this one.
VINE VOICEon 9 February 2012
I bought this product as a taster, I just played it in the car to and from work and within a few weeks I could easily recite the whole CD in Fench! (en Francois).

I was so impressed I bought the main set of CD's, now this is my only gripe. The CD in this box actually contains almost all the information in the first two Cd's of the main box set.

My point is if you are serious about learning french buy the main box set.

I have tried other sets but found this the easiest to use and pick up, moving through the CD's is a great motivator and I am learning whilst driving, no wasted time.

Tres Bon!
11 comment|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 August 2014
I haven't listened to it all yet - but it has helped make sense of certain French rules and how the words are spoken. I particularly like the fact that he starts with a lot of words which are the same in French and English. It gives an easy hook. It has made me feel more confident speaking French in France.