on 20 June 2012
I really loved this book and found it hard to put down. As a comedian/speaker I'm always looking for different ways to make things funny, and after reading this book for a few days I came up with a number of lines I can use. The brainstorming exercises are particularly good.
on 16 September 2011
I read this twice, the first time just to enjoy it and the second time to work through the exercises. (I did learn that you have to actually write stuff in order to learn how to do it). I specially liked the quotes from professional comedy writers.
on 17 January 2015
Whatever your chosen medium or genre for writing comedy, this is a pretty solid guide from a professional comedy writer. It's clear, well-written and well-structured. There are loads of practical exercises, and the author also gives examples of different scripts rendered for different media (TV, radio, etc.).

Don't expect some kind of magic answer to their problems. The real secret to successful writing of any kind is putting in the hard work. There is no substitute and there are no shortcuts.
on 28 January 2012
The secrets to writing great comedy are secrets no more - Lesley Bown has revealed them. I have known and co-written with Lesley for many years, so can I be objective about her solo work? Yes I can. In fact friends can often be the sharpest critics.

Using easily accessible advice, tips and exercises, Lesley takes the would-be comic writer through the various stages needed to produce a honed piece of work, whether it's a stand-up routine or a sitcom. Based on her own experiences she deconstructs comedy to show the reader the nuts and bolts of writing funny prose.

Can reading a book turn you into a world-famous comic writer? No, only you can do that. But you can make a very good start by taking on board all the information laid out for you in this highly readable book. And I know it is readable because I have read it right through and that is why I can recommend it.

Ann Gawthorpe
on 2 July 2011
Comprehensive coverage of the subject matter, just the kind of instructional guide I was looking for. 'Secrets to Writing Great Comedy' has given me fantastic guidance to comedy writing across the spectrum. I recommend this book to anyone looking for a well presented and clearly structured guide to comedy writing. Thank you Lesley Bown for one of those rare instructional books that does exactly what it says on the tin (and more).
on 28 June 2011
I've been looking for a book like this one for a long time! And finally I found one that is just as good as I expect it to be!
An absolutely brilliant book!
on 10 February 2015
An excellent book I found really helpful, much better than a lot of other stuff out there. No formulaic unfunny mind maps and the examples are funny.
on 29 June 2011
This is a really straight forward, helpful, and funny (!) book that delivers exactly what it promises on the cover.
on 21 April 2015
Bought it for a loved one who is now writing & performing his own material, so it must be a good resource!
on 18 August 2015
Helpful but don't know if I can write an impressive comedy.