Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 March 2012
First of all, let me say this book was recommended to me by a German teacher who studied German at Cambridge - this was his companion throughout the degree, and he said it was brilliant.

On Amazon.com, the book has 29/30 5* ratings, with the sole 2* rating being from someone who complained about needing to know about English grammar or that there were no practice questions (there's a separate practice book, hello?).

I'm not surprised at the ratings. The book is fantastic - it's well bound, printed on high quality, thick paper (like a modern textbook) and has absolutely everything in it.

When I opened the book to the contents, I was pretty impressed by the large list on the page. Then I realised there were 5 more contents pages. "Wow" was my reaction. If you're serious about learning German, this book will take you to fluency. It truly is the king of reference books, going to into amazing detail over every aspect of the language, with real life examples every time. Get it! Even if you're only at GCSE or A-level, seriously, it's a brilliant buy, and at £20 it's a steal for a life-long companion to the German language.
on 19 August 2011
I taught German for nearly thirty years, am married to a German lady, and have two children who have studied German at University (and a third who kept up her German whilst studying Pharmacy). Each of my children has a copy of Hammer. My wife (who teaches German)uses her copy on a daily basis. I have used and read just about every available German Grammar, and Hammer is, in my opinion, the best by far. I recommend it to all who are serious students of German.
on 25 June 2013
This must be the definitive explanation of the German language - even for Germans. And apparently I need six more words.
on 30 October 2013
Not for nothing is this the most widly used German Grammar in English - it is clearn, full of examples, and works very well as a reference grammar, esp. if you want to look up specific topics. Both formation and use are extensively covered.
on 15 May 2015
This is the comprehensive gold standard of german grammar, light bedtime reading it is not and likely to be pretty daunting to anyone who has not already completed at least A level standard study, but it's what you need if you want to get really good at German.
on 21 January 2013
A brilliant handbook that has now served me throughout its existence in various editions and it gets better each time. It invariably comes up trumps with clear and straightforward illustrations on points of grammar and usage. I am so glad to have it and could not imagine not having ready access to it. Almost bedtime reading!
on 6 March 2013
Esp. good for the university student and anyone with similar level of interest/prior knowledge. I find the content challenging to deal with (although I have studied English as a foreign language to degree level), however, it really does answer every question - and raises many more before that happens ;o). Basically, you start with what you thought was a basic question and end up having to study half a chapter because you realise there is no straightforward answer. I guess, since I am a native speaker of German, simple answers would not satisfy me, because I would always find an example that does not fit the rule of thumb.

For me, the only real drawback is the layout: the pages are too crammed, and the many subheadings of various levels are confusing as one loses track of the overall structure of the chapter. A highlighter pen, however, can help make relevant subheadings stand out.
on 15 February 2015
Since 1971, Hammer's and Durrell's grammars have been the ultimate example of German grammar and usage.

This is the definitive "reference grammar", matching perfectly the realities of spoken usage with the requirements of different registers.

Six stars!
on 21 September 2015
I'm studying for a BA (honours) Language Studies in my spare time. This book, although not being a set book, comes highly recommended and covers all aspects of German grammar. No doubt it will get plenty of use.
on 5 May 2016
An excellent book for all levels of the German language.It makes German grammar accessible without fearing the language .There is no chance
to get confused as it is also broken down into simple examples!