on 11 July 2003
I found this book by chance while looking for 2 books from the reading list of my diploma course, in order to critique them. I found this book a godsend. The assignments from the course can be a little daunting to say the least. After reading this book it all became clear and i started to grasp the theories easily. I mentioned it in class, it has aided my completion of several assignments and has since been added to our reading list...say no more.
0Comment|129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 October 2007
While doing my counselling Diploma I became a bit bogged down with the many different theores and not having time to read all the books available for each one, with all the essays to do etc.
I found this book to be the one that explains all the main theories in a very clear and concise way, leading the reader to delve further into different therapies if they so wish.
It has easy to read language without too much counselling jargon, good illustrations and real life examples to demonstrate points made.
I would recommend this book for anyone either doing a counselling course themselves or considering which type of counselling might suit them personally.
An excellent starter book for all in this field.
on 3 November 2010
I am about to embark on a counselling course, and bought this as an introduction: I have not been disappointed! It is a very readable book, and in my opinion goes into just the right level of detail - it also contains exercises throughout the text, primarily intended to do within groups as part of counsellor training, but most are also equally suitable for self-study. I am delighted with my purchase, and am confident it will give me an excellent grounding for when I begin my course.

Incidentally, having had the previous edition out from the library, this newer edition is slightly expanded - but in my opinion, the layout is a lot better too as the whole book seems to have been given a bit of a 'makeover'.
on 18 April 2009
I tell the Level 2 & 3 students I teach that if they're only going to buy one book, this should be the one. Eclectic, ecumenical and beautifully and clearly written without a hint of patronage. Good casework examples and self-testing too. Excellent.
on 9 December 2008
Whilst working on my Counselling course, this book was a great help with both my written work and my understanding. Highly recommended!
on 28 June 2009
One of my students suggested this as a set book for a Level 3 Course in Counselling Skills and Theory, and having looked at it I agree. It is a good introduction to the main theories for students at this level and not too expensive. It includes case studies and examples of how to apply the theories.
on 26 June 2011
This book is great. I actually purchased it towards the end of a Level 3 counselling course. I wish I had found it sooner. Explains theories in an easily understandable way. The book also covers ethical issues and supervison. Everything that I would be tested on in my AQA exam.
on 8 November 2009
I am very happy to got the book. By reading the book, I have been able to get a better understanding of the person-centred counselling. It have also been helping me in getting a better understanding of counselling in general
on 9 January 2010
A very accessible and readable first counselling book. I use it frequently on the courses I teach.
on 7 November 2011
I read this book as a level 3 counselling student. It is a mine pof useful information, set out in an easy to follow way. Hough, as a good teacher, tells the reader what she is going to tell them, tells the information and then tells you what she has told you. IIf the penny doesnt drop it is not the fault of the author. The book contains a glossary, a clear index, and a wealth of other resources for those wishing to do further research. Hough also provides exercises, case studies, summary boxes and a cerain amount of critique. If you read this book you will have a basic knowledge of Psychodynamic, Humanistic and Behaviourist (includsing BT)theory and practice. I cannot criticise the contents of this book which I suspect I will be referring back to often in the future. If Margaret Hough does bring out a 4th edition I would love to more on Egan's integrative approach.