Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 June 2013
This seems to be a very well laid out book, although the answers aren't included in the book they are available on the website free of charge as a pdf. If like me you are trying to keep up with your children, 30 years after sitting an O Level I would highly recommend this book.
on 17 December 2012
Extremely helpful for supporting daughter with gcse maths. You can also download the answer sheet using the password supplied on the inside cover.
on 26 January 2013
Great book for revision - really thick with lots and lots of topics.

This book had a great structure in that it would explain the topic, show you examples and then give you questions to try.

I had a few issues however that stopped me giving this book 5 stars.
Probably most importantly was that there were no answers throughout so you didn't know if you'd understood the method correctly and were answering the questions correctly. This was the same problem as in the homework book.
The second thing was that I would have liked a better explanation throughout. Maths is not something that comes naturally to me, so I really had to push myself to sit the higher paper. I found the foundation level too easy but the higher more challenging. Therefore it would have been better for my learning, to have had more explanation.

For this reason, perhaps this book is a better accompaniment for school/college rather than being 'self-taught'.
It would probably be great as a refresher too!

I will say however, I did manage to pass the higher paper, so the book obviously did me some good!
on 18 March 2013
This book is being used by my son who is in year 8, it is being used to help him with his homework. It follows the syllabus content within the school and there fore helps us as parents to assist with homework as well. Its well laid out. Ideal
on 3 March 2015
A valuable book to have for anyone studying the wjec higher tier gcse course. Every section has a large selection of examples, so that the student can continually test themselves and ALL answers can be found on the Hodder website.
on 22 May 2014
I bought this book based on reviews which said the answers were available as a download from the publisher's website. This is not the case. I checked with the publisher today and the answers are only available if you purchase the teacher resource pack. I was totally misled by previous reviews as it looks as if the publisher changed their policy after those reviews were written.
on 12 May 2013
The book does exactly what you would want. Good explanations of required techniques, with examples. Questions for practise. A sensible order of progression. It is disappointing that Hodder, in their continued striving for increased profits sell the answers to the questions within the text book as a separate product.
on 7 April 2015