5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for all parents., 11 Jun 2012
This review is from: Be a Happier Parent with NLP (Teach Yourself General) (Paperback)
As an adoptive parent I was a bit dubious about how this book would work, or how I would rate it.
I have worked with children for 20+ years and don't give much time to any of them.
This is a great, easy read with little tasks to help you sort out your thoughts and clarify what the book is saying.

Many of the ideas are adaptable to the 'therapeutic parenting' way, and many of them don't need adapting at all.
As with all childcare books you can dip in & out and use what you would feel is useful with your child.

I love the way it is written in a non dictorial manner, rather than telling you what you are doing wrong, it gives ideas to put things right.

A great book, that I highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 4 Oct 2011
This book is an informative book on how to be a happier parent. NLP is a fabulous tool with many examples and ways to change the way we think and feel. As parents, we think we have all the building blocks as to how we can emotionally manage our children. And if I can be devils advocate, we think we know best! But what happens to us when our kids just do not do what we want them to do. We try to negotiate, get some kind of eye contact/bond, the behaviour pushes our buttons, we start to get angry and then hey... something is not working. Whatever we try to do to change the situation it just does not work. As parents we just go into that WE must CONTROL. We just set ourselves up for failure. This book gave me the building blocks to make the difference that really makes the difference. A must read. Some NLP books can be very complicated and difficult to follow. This book really delivers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really approachable, 30 Aug 2012
I found this book easy to read and informative. I'm a first time mum so it's very easy to not know if i am approaching raising my child in a good way. But this book has given me the inner confidence to be the parent I want to be.

It's not patronising or unrealistic, just a new way of looking at what you are doing and what effect that might have. It's not a question of do this or don't do that, and for me that has been great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 14 May 2012
As a NLP Practitioner and Theraputic Foster carer I continually update my skills by reading all manners of self improvement books...
Be A Happier Parent with NLP is an absolute must for any parent or child care professional, parent or not, as it gives simple, clear instructions to practices that have immediate impact...
This book is one of the best I have ever come across and I cannot recommend it highly enough...
KJF

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 1 Jun 2012
Sm Drew "dingalongcow" (Colchester, Essex) - See all my reviews
I am a stay at home mum of two children aged 7 and 2. The age difference causes an awful lot of squabbling and shouting and its hard to know how to manage and discipline them. Add in a husband who is away an awful lot for work and you have a house with a lot of bellowing and shouting.

I gave this book a try as I wanted a different approach and one that would benefit both the children and myself. This book sets out a series of reflective tasks mixed in with useful techniques, insight and advice. I was a bit dubious at first butfound that it is written in a confident, kind and down-to-earth style with no psychobabble. I didn't feel judged or like I was made to feel bad at all.

The book took a month or two to work through with all the tasks and giving the information a chance to settle in and absorb, but I have found that the level of shouting has diminished by at least 50%, everyone seems happier and I seem to be parenting more calmly and intuitively. It is not a simple 'quick-fix' solution, but its one that aims to change parenting for good. I am very impressed with how easy this was to read and understand and how much of an impact it has had on my life.

I can recommend this book to other parents in a similar situation to myself and also parents wanting to have a better relationship with their children. It would also be useful to a parent who wants to boost their child's confidence and self-esteem as the techniques involved help to identify your child's strengths and weaknesses, accept them and talk to them positively and constructively about it

5.0 out of 5 stars a must have book, 4 May 2012
really enjoyed this book and found it really informative and helpful .with a large family ranging in age from 19 to 2 , i had plenty of opportunity to use it .

the ideas in it our so simple to follow through . the premise that just altering the words you use when talking to a child can influence the way they respond .

it also useful as a parent to be able to use it to deal with one's own feelings of guilt or anxiety .

after only a week of use , i have already noticed a real difference in the way i deal with sibling conflicts and in the way the children respond to my requests .

brilliant ,brilliant book . i would certainly recommend to other friends with children .

5.0 out of 5 stars Something different in the world of parenting books, 7 Jun 2012
As a mum of three, I've read a lot of parenting manuals. Usually they approach parenting as a list of 'do's' and 'don'ts' or 'problem-solution' and assume all children act and think pretty much the same way. This book is different, and the better for it. Much more thought-provoking, it contains a series of exercises to carry out by yourself or with your children, to work out how your children think and respond to the world around them. Then, with this new knowledge, there are suggestions on how you can speak and act to tune in to the individuals your children are.

My favourite part was the section on how to encourage your children to make friends more easily and deal with negative thinking. My daughter was always coming home from school complaining about having no friends and feeling too shy to join in new activities. This book has taught me some strategies I had not read anywhere else, and which I really feel will stand her in good stead not just at school but in her adult life. The techniques it suggests are very simple and age appropriate but foster a good attitude to take through life.

I really enjoyed this book and would highly recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars Reviewing NLP, 7 May 2012
A must-have for every parent's bookshelf. It's a reflective but solution-focussed approach to getting the most positive outcomes out of family life. "Be A Happier Parent with NLP" speaks to parents in a way that is amenable and universal. It is a text book but for parents rather than professionals and as such is a lay person's bible to calmer and happier family relationships. It will stand the test of time because it makes sense, is accessible and an easy read in a busy life. It is equally as applicable to work relationships as to family life which makes it very appealing in its content. It is guaranteed to be a well-thumbed handbook on one's bookshelf, dipped into time and time again!

We've already made improvements in some areas of family life just by adhering to the fundamentals advocated in the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that allows you to work on your parenting, rather than telling you how to parent, 6 Jun 2012
I received a copy of this book to review, and was cautious about it, as I have read a lot of parenting books.

I am a fan of NLP, as I have seen it work very well in a work context, but was unsure how it would work in a parenting context.

The book was a welcome change to the usual parenting book format - I am tired of reading prescriptive lists of what I MUST do and what WILL work, combined with anecdotes about what one person did with one child.

This book has a set of exercises and explanations which allow you to work through different topics, analysing the way you parent, why you do things that way, how you would rather do things, and finally, explanations of how you can make that change.

It is written in a very straightforward manner, unjudgemental and not forcing any particular parenting-guru agenda. What makes it special is the way that it shows you how to use NLP techniques to actually change your behaviour. A lot of what goes wrong in parenting is buried down in our habits and instincts - and can't be changed by just 'knowing' we should do it differently. This book shows you how to challenge the inner beliefs and habits that you want to change - and also how to help build positive beliefs and habits in your children

I would recommend it highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for all parents, 23 Sep 2012
This is such a helpful book for all parents (and possibly teachers) to get the best out of their children.
Rather than lecturing on parenting, this book spells out the differences between personalities of parents and children, and explains how to mirror your child's personality to get the best out of them, amongst other effective methods, with clear examples to follow.
Unlike many lesser parenting books, this is not prescriptive and one-size-fits-all, so definitely has a place on every parent's bookshelf.
Also unlike many other parenting books, this is very interesting to read, and easy to understand.
My copy is now well thumbed and often read.
Highly recommended.

Be a Happier Parent with NLP (Teach Yourself General)
Be a Happier Parent with NLP (Teach Yourself General) by Judy Bartkowiak (Paperback - 28 Jan 2011)