on 26 February 2003
This is a an ideal resource for any Law student that is starting out for the first time in this subject. this third edition is comprehensive and up-to-date with the English legal system. This book is well laid out and everybody should own a copy if you are studying Law or not. It is easy to follow and it makes no assumptions of your Law knowledge. this book is filled with diagrams and real articles. Jacqueline Martin LLM is a former chief examiner for the 'A' level Law board for 10 years, as well as being a barrister and a Law teacher, this lady knows her stuff and she know what you need to know to pass your 'A' levels. Great book.
on 9 September 2003
I used this book for my AS level Law course and found it invaluable. Each chapter starts with an introduction and gradually becomes more in depth as the chapter moves on, which ables students to easily follow and understand each topic on the syllabus.
I have also found the book will be useful for my A2 course, as the first half of my A2 course requires the use of the police sections which are featured in the book.
Overall really useful for helping on A level courses, and i actually used this book instead of my notes when it came to revision so also saves on buying a revision guide etc
on 20 November 2000
i studied law at degree level and had never done it before. this book was very easy to understand and laid out exceptionally well. Refence is made to a wide variety of useful cases. i still refer to this book now for aid!
VINE VOICEon 2 June 2005
I have used the Jacqueline Martin book - The English Legal System for teaching AS and A-Level Law for a number of years. It is without doubt an excellent publication. If there is a criticism of the book it is the binding - which could be better. However, academically the book is without equal for AS to Degree Level Law Students.
The new fourth edition (May 2005) builds upon previous editions and incorporates Human Rights, new statutes, cases and other relevant materials. What is especially pleasing about the book is that it mainatins a balance between depth and easy reading.
on 11 September 2007
I have just started my A-Level Law course, and my law teacher reccomended this law textbook to us. I have to say, that the material Martin covers in this book is sufficent for you to achieve a very good grade in your a-levels. The text is well laid out, making the information easy to read. I would reccomend this book to all law students, and all those who are intersted in how the english legal system operates. A great book. Thanks Jaqueline:D
on 6 February 2002
A well written document whch compliments the early stages of a degree well. The book is littered with case refences and quotations which are essential for any study. Absolutely reccommended for anyone either interested in or studying law.
on 28 October 2002
This examination of the English Legal System provides a deep insight and analysis of the the curret, and developing English legal system.
An excellent resource for students like myself, this textbook covers much more than just the basics, encouraging those with a reasonable and inquisitive mind to question the logic and prcticality of the law in comtemporary England and Wales.
As an A level stdent I have found this book imperitive to my studies, both for modules focusing specifically on this area, and for extended background reading, allowing a more comprehensive understanding of the legal system and the law as one complete existence.
This book is invaluable, and I, and any other who will read it, will find it necessity when faced with studies and subject interest alike.
on 25 April 2011
I am a Law Student studying W200 (200 Level ) I purchased The Legal System book by (Jacqueline Martin & Chris Turner) as a reference book, to assist me on the move, once I received this book, the contents were so in-depth, informative, well written and pleased. I purchase all the Key-Facts / other titles, namely Equity and Trusts, Criminal Law , Contract Law, Land Law and EU Law all these by Jacquiline and Chris.

I attented tutorial in March and showed the books to our students groups, I bet by now most students most have purchased theirs.

A good study book for any Law students either at A Level, or studying towards acchieving LLB.

Grace
on 3 March 2008
This book is fantastic if your'e studying A-Level Law with any exam board as this book covers most of the aspects of all the courses syllabus, although it is only written for the OCR and WJEC course. It covers all aspects of law clearly and in plain english so if you're someone new in law, like me you can get the hang of it straight away. Previosuly I've also used thed ELLIOT and QUINN English Legal System Book with each page covered with full text with techncical words, making it hard to understand for a begginer. Personally I think this book is fantastic and a must have for all A-Level students.
on 19 November 2010
This book is ideal for anyone looking for a straightforward but detailed introduction to the English legal system. It is clearly written, refreshingly free of legal jargon, and provides helpful figures to reinforce key facts. Compared to an earlier version which I worked on, the presentation has been improved with colour on every page. The content has been brought up to date, incorporating recent changes such as the Supreme Court, the Legal Services Act, the Lisbon Treaty etc. All in all, this book is a pleasure to read - which is more than can be said of many legal textbooks!