4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive
Published 16 months ago by JohnM

2.0 out of 5 stars Far too complex
I'm not happy at all with this book.
The lessons get too complex too quickly. I'm at unit 4 and I'm starting to be lost. There is a lot of difficult grammar, not really well explained, very early in the units.
There is also far too much vocabulary. For instance the exercises are packed with unknown words, making them really difficult.
The diction of the...
Published 6 months ago by Eilee

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, 12 April 2013
This review is from: Complete Hindi: Teach Yourself (Paperback)
I felt moved to add my review of this book as the only existing review gives a single star which I considered unfair for this impressive product. My own purpose for buying the course was twofold; to learn at least some level the language of my partner, and to prepare for an upcoming trip to India in the summer. I considered the simpler books (beginners or starter) both by the same author and different authors but settled on Complete Hindi in the knowledge that it would be fairly demanding but hopefully yield more satisfying results.

I am currently halfway through the course (completed 9 chapters out of 18) and I am so far very pleased both with my choice and with my progress. From a standing start I am now able to hold simple conversations in Hindi with my partner, albeit a lot more practice is required before my command of the language would be at a truly conversational level.

From my perspectives, Complete Hindi has the following strengths;
- it is well structured with a clear view of the upcoming topics and fairly detailed desciptions of each with worked examples and exercises, both written and audio.
- it appears to me to be fairly comprehensive, certainly as far as is possible for a single volume
- it takes into account everyday hindi, including such things as Urdu and English loanwords, regional variations and non-standard
- it provides sufficient exercises and self-tests to stretch the student and allow extra work
- The audio CD included is a precious added resource allowing for understanding of the (different) pronunciations to be practised.
- at 20-25 it is very cheap compared to other options, like Rosetta Stone

The following may be considered weaknesses;
- It lacks many of the cool multi-media features of Rosetta Stone, such as flashcards and online services.
- It can appear a little dense and forbidding and perhaps this has affected an earlier review. I must say this does not bother me, but I can see that this could be off-putting for many people.

Overall however I am very satisfied with this purchase and I wanted only to add my review to balance the overall impression.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Beginner's Course, 23 July 2013
Catpee (Belfast, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Complete Hindi: Teach Yourself (Paperback)
I am really enjoying this course. I find it very easy to follow and well laid out unlike another reviewer who found it too difficult. To the contrary I find it explains things very well. I am currently on Unit 3 of the book (going over each unit several times until I understand everything, as the book advises ) but I have also been skipping ahead to learn sections further on in the book as I am enjoying the language so much I am eager to learn more vocabulary. I am a linguist having studied French, German and Latin so perhaps this gives me an advantage in being able to grasp the language quickly. However, I do think that the format of the book allows for non linguists to learn Hindi effectively if they invest time and patience. I would certainly recommend this book and accompanying CD to anyone thinking of learning Hindi.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shukria ( thank you ! ), 22 July 2013
This review is from: Complete Hindi: Teach Yourself (Paperback)
EXCELLENT ( as the Teach Yourself series usually are ) I was a bit disappointed with the ways of teaching the student to write Hindi ... It needs a simple diagram to show how each letter is written with a pen ( like the Russian & Greek books do ) ... but overall a good product. Perhaps I should write this review when I've been using Hindi fir a few years (^; !

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Learning Pack, 8 Nov 2013
This review is from: Complete Hindi: Teach Yourself (Paperback)
The DVDs are great easy to follow. I hope I will pick the language as quickly and fluently as speakers on DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for slow learners - persist!, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: Complete Hindi: Teach Yourself (Paperback)
I'm really enjoying this book which is well-structured and interesting; the secret is to go slowly and keep revising. I have no talent at languages whatsoever but I'm taking the time to learn the alphabet which makes it all the more fascinating. Suggestion - go online as well. Several sites teach you very effectively and also show you how to write, though I don't think they're a substitute for a book. I'm making up flashcards etc to help me learn. A variety of approaches works!

2.0 out of 5 stars Far too complex, 10 Feb 2014
Eilee "Eilee" (Essonne, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Complete Hindi: Teach Yourself (Paperback)
I'm not happy at all with this book.
The diction of the dialogues on the audio files is weird and unnatural ( I live with Hindi speakers from different parts of India so I have some references). The Pimsleur Hindi is closer to real spoken Hindi for instance.
I'm okay with vocabulary and grammar but they should be introduced gradually.
I'll carry on, and maybe write a more positive review later ; but for the moment the way things are introduced really puts me off.

1.0 out of 5 stars tough, 15 Oct 2012
Campbell "Spadger" (leafy surrey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Complete Hindi: Teach Yourself (Paperback)
mmm perhaps I got a bit carried away thinking I would learn the lingo to understand my lovely fellow workers who switch to Hindi when being questioned at work (!) but I was out of my depth by page 10 ! sent back . will save for rosetta stone!

Complete Hindi: Teach Yourself
Complete Hindi: Teach Yourself by Rupert Snell And Simon Weightm (Paperback - 26 Nov 2010)
36.39