on 22 October 2010
This book explains just about everything you would need to know while training to teach Esol. I found it really helpful in revising lessons from the classroom as it always seemed to give a very useful explanation of planning, classroom management, learner difficulties and teaching in general.
on 3 April 2011
Using it during CELTA. Easy to read and simple. Gives the basic idea without too many technical words. If detailed reading id required, it suggests where to go as well !
on 19 September 2010
Just finished my CELTA course and this was one book that was always very popular in the library. It has some great advice and teaching tips. Useful for Teaching practice and also for the assignments.
on 1 February 2013
As an EFL teacher, I have been looking for books that could actually help me help my students. I have attended quite a few seminars of Methodology, and I must say I found this book equally helpful. It is a step-by-step guide on what to teach and how to teach it. What is more, it is very well written and the tips it gives, well, they couldn't have been more clear. A real treasure for EFL teachers who have just started teaching.
on 12 February 2014
My teaching course was falling short on teaching practical teaching methods, too much focus on theory, reflection etc. But my placement ESOL class every week required me to teach grammar, reading, writing lessons etc. I stumbled upon this book in the library and it was so good I just had to buy my own copy - I have also recommended it to course colleagues who have purchased their own.
It is very readable, well laid out and gave me lots of confidence in teaching ESOL. A few weeks after getting this book, we covered the structure for a grammar lesson in my course evening class - I was suddenly a subject expert among my peers!
This is an excellent buy (I've still got my library copy, which I'll use as long as I can keep it on loan, as I know my own copy will be well-used in the future). Any chance the laminated-type covers that my college get could be available for books like this to keep them in good shape?
on 6 December 2013
Excellent book! Highly recommended for anyone wishes to be a ELF teacher. This book has been a very interesting read, Riddell has simplified how one becomes a outstanding English teacher in this compact book.
on 19 August 2013
This book is a great guide for anyone wanting to teach English as a foreign language. It provides you with excellent tips on how to teach in order to book the best results with your students. For anyone caring about their students, wanting to give them the best guidance they possibly can, this is the answer. You might have to adapt some of the information in the book to the level and age of the students you are dealing with, but I would definitely recommend this book to any teacher of EFL, no matter which level or age group you will teach, as it has some valuable information in it every teacher should get acquainted with and consider before teaching.
on 30 November 2013
I am fresh out of CELTA and got this book to review all the stuff that we learnt on the course and just get some confidence whilst I'm looking for a job. I think the book will be useful to all those who are planning or just starting teaching English.
on 9 May 2013
So far so good. I'm still reading. Lots of informations in it which in my TEFL course doesn't mention it.
A book to have as a reference whem you need.
I recommend it.
on 12 January 2013
I ordered this book based on some reviews which praised it highly as being a practical guide for teaching EFL. For people who are interested in teaching to adults, there is a lot of good information and tips about how to do it. However, I am teaching English to children, and much of what is contained in the book is not relevant for that age level. Therefore, it was somewhat disappointing to read it and not as helpful as I would have liked.