4.0 out of 5 stars Not outstanding, but still very good.
The book does what it says on the tin. The grammar is taught clearly and concisely. Perhaps too much vocabulary of limited use is introduced earlier than it should. Perseverance is certainly needed throughout the book, but that is to be expected with any language.
Published 9 months ago by HughM

1.0 out of 5 stars So, so disappointing, confusing and irrelevant.
Published on 30 Nov. 2010 by rob

1.0 out of 5 stars So, so disappointing, confusing and irrelevant., 30 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Complete Swahili Beginner to Intermediate Course: (Book only) Learn to read, write, speak and understand a new language with Teach Yourself (Teach Yourself Complete) (Paperback)
I must admit that despite having purchased well over 50 books from Amazon, this is my first review. I am compelled to write because I am really disappointed with the book. I enjoy learning langauges and have used many Teach Yourself coursebooks. I have always found them accesible, relevant and progress at a good pace with a great mix of useful language, cultural insight and practice material. My confidence in TY books has been knocked. This is a terribly structured, unenjoyable coursebook. I found myself really struggling to face page after page of very dry, badly organised grammar to get to any language of use. I will be using Swahili in a mixed business and travel capacity and have found much more in the Rough Guides tiny phrasebook.
I understand the importance of grammar and actually usually enjoy working through the nuts and bolts of languages but this book is something else! Unless you are really, really commited to learning Swahili (like I am trying to be, despite this purchase) I would steer clear. Unit 4 tonight has seen me slogging through endless noun classes, verb prefixes and I have nothing really of use to say to my Tanzanian colleague on the phone tomorrow... unless I want to ask him if he knows "how to sew my red patterned dress". One final note is that any book that introduces goodbye (to more than one person) in Unit 4 is not on the same page as a practical language learner. Oh yeah, and this is the "fully revised" 2010 version I purchased. Terrible.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not outstanding, but still very good., 18 July 2014
The main area of improvement would be to add additional grammar exercises. Some Teach Yourself guides have a separate book for this purpose. I feel that the exercises in the book are not sufficient to enable the reader to master the grammar points.
On the whole this book is worth buying if you want to learn a lot of Swahili. If you only want to know a few Swahili phrases then you'd be better off purchasing a relevant travel guide instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, 4 Oct. 2013
My son is using the book when he's in Africa. He says it's great - easy to read and understand.

2.0 out of 5 stars Incomplete, 23 May 2013
The title states everything you need but when it arrived it then said that I needed to purchase the CD's. Therefore it is not everything but only part of what I need to be able to Speak, read and write Swahili

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 Nov. 2014