5.0 out of 5 stars Best Romanian language teaching aid out there!
Published on 3 Jun. 2012 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for everyone?
Having used this book now for nearly six months, I thought I'd post a review.

The book will probably be acceptable to anyone for whom Romanian is not their first foreign language. But Romanian is not easy, and if it is your first foray outside of English the book's style and production may put you off foreign languages forever.

The small size of...
Published 22 months ago by Stuart

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Romanian language teaching aid out there!, 3 Jun. 2012
Amazon Customer (Belfast, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Complete Romanian: Teach Yourself (Book/CD Pack) (Paperback)
I bought the book a few months ago and it's already making a strong improvement to my knowledge of the Romanian language. This book will cover everything you need to learn and in simple easy steps, it's not a book you can rush, if you want to be successful learning the language you need to take your time and make sure you learn these things. It's advice on how to learn the information is brilliant and helps the reader learn it in their way, this makes me the book adaptable to the reader.

It's not for the American reader as it is designed for European English readers, however the differences are minimal and it wouldn't do much harm for any other English speakers to buy. I write down all the vocabulary lists & list of verbs in [...] which allows me to study them in different ways to make sure I fully understand and know my Romanian vocabulary & verbs.

Nice exercises at the end to make sure you understand and some lovely historic insights where you discover some of Romania's history as well.

I however, am a person who needs to see the logic behind words to understand (i.e. the word by word equivalent) and for the first few units of this book, you're thrown straight in and are asked to learn them without knowing why (i.e. Vorbi 'i mai rar, v' rog = Speak more slowly, please). Also the book summarises most of the phrases in the collective term of you, which may be too formal than what Romanian speaks are actually expected to learn, but I don't believe it does too much harm. Regarding understanding the logic behind the first few units, I recommend doing some basic Romanian lessons you can find online, just to gain some knowledge of Romanian prior to starting to book, so at least you'll have a head start which will fundamentally help you to understand what and why they ask you to learn these words until the explanations are brought in later on. I created two Flashcard sets: [...] will help give you the initial knowledge of the Romanian language (you don't need to do all 30 but at least 5-10 would help you out with the book) and [...] which goes through the vocabulary & verb lists asked for from the actual book in it's units. Please know that you need the book alongside it's audio CD to understand these fully. The flashcard sets alone won't teach you 'Complete Romanian', you need the book as all the explanations of grammar etc. are in there.

I am on Unit 9 now and have only read a third of the overall book and I'm already seeing some great changes to my Romanian language skills. I recommend (and ask you to make sure) you get the book WITH the audio CD tracks as some people may only learn through hearing them. There is a few versions of this book around, please make sure you're getting the complete version with the audio CD but if you don't, don't worry as it wont affect learning the book by much.

Incredible book and it's working miracles at the moment for my Romanian language skills. If you want the best in learning the Romanian language, look no further as this book is modern (2010) and will be our best guide to becoming Romanian speakers.

Mul'umesc foarte mult!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for everyone?, 20 Mar. 2013
Having used this book now for nearly six months, I thought I'd post a review.

The small size of this book belies its content. If you plough through it you will emerge at something like 'A' level standard. A less ambitious approach might have made the vocabulary lists that precede each chapter a bit less daunting.

Unlike French and Italian Romanian has noun declension, and has some difficult vowel sounds like Russian. I can see that tables, with their connotations of learning by rote, are unfashionable, but appendices with these declensions would be a valuable reference; they are not included. I have also spotted a few minor errors that perhaps stem from incomplete proof-reading of amended earlier additions, though these undermine confidence rather than mislead. Unforgiveably however, several of the exercises require language that is not introduced until later chapters. At first I thought this was a deliberate strategy to fire-up a generally able audience, but I now realise these mistakes simply stem from sloppy editing.

There is also a slightly dated feel about the book, a shame as this ought to be easily rectified by the authors. 'Mobile', 'internet' and even 'computer' appear to fail to make it into the texts or the index, although 'cash machine' does. 'Apartment block', 'teacake', 'telegram' and 'bathing costume' do feature, however. For me this imparts an old-world allure that certainly gets me booking my train tickets, but it may put others off. I shall be interested to find out when I visit just how useful the advice is on p4, that "It is customary for a man to kiss the hand of a lady when introduced to her". One gets the feel of a book which has had its cover made-over but not its contents.

For context, I've got GCSEs in Italian and Russian, though I've forgotten almost all of both. In summary - OK if you're an old hand at languages; anyone else - start with French or buy a much slimmer Romanian Phrasebook.

2.0 out of 5 stars It's not worth the price., 24 May 2012
Be warned this is only going to function fully on iOS devices, all others will display text with place holders saying audio would be here if your device supported it. Thankfully I have an ipod touch and I can use the audio with this, however even then you can only play, pause or stop the audio there is no control to allow for rewinding at all, which is pointless if you wanted to just go over a certain word or phrase spoken. For the price I paid for it, I would not recommend this at all, it's over priced it has limited functionality with devices even with the only supported iOS ones. And as for the content I've not found it impressive at all and it's certainly not made me want to continue to study it. I would seriously consider other options before spending so much money on this product. personally I feel I've wasted £30 that could of been spent on anything something better.

4.0 out of 5 stars hard work, difficult language, 14 Nov. 2012
The book and cd were well written/recorded and very comprehensive but romanian is a very hard language to learn and i will have to practise a lot but with the book and cd given time anyone could do it.

3.0 out of 5 stars did not work on my device, 10 Oct. 2013
After down load I found it did not work on my device acEr net net book
Its a good book but only works on some devices so a east of mony for me as I can't play some of the sound part

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to learn a language, 27 Sept. 2013
I am very pleased with the book and I recommend it to everyone who wants to learn Romanian. It is an excellent way to learn.

4.0 out of 5 stars language, 1 Jan. 2013
Have had very little time to use this but think it should help with the basic language tho' maybe not written

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Aug. 2014
foarte bine :-)

Complete Romanian: Teach Yourself (Book/CD Pack)
Complete Romanian: Teach Yourself (Book/CD Pack) by Yvonne Alexandrescu (Paperback - 24 Sept. 2010)