5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating read and a great idea for a book
Published on 29 Sep 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit basic
Summarized case studies that I had read elsewhere and more interestingly written. If you have read nothing on psychology, it is a good starting point. I would recommend 'Opening Skinner's Box' as a much more interesting alternative.
Published on 10 Jan 2009 by Darren Priest

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating read and a great idea for a book, 29 Sep 2005
By A Customer
I've read this book from cover to cover and I guarantee you it is a fascinating (and at times almost unbelievable) read. I knew some of the studies covered but not in this detail. It's a great idea for a book. The more you find out about these stories the more you appreciate how amazing human behaviour is. I loved the story of railway worker Phineas Gage who had a 6ft metal pole blown through his head and lived to tell the tale travelling around carrying the pole for the rest of his life (he was even buried with it!) and the shocking story of David Reimer who due to botched surgery as a child had his penis cut off and was brought up as a girl before once again adopting a male role in his teens. Each chapter in the book deals with a different case study and they are all very interesting. The psychological importance and relevance of each case is also dealt with. I'd certainly recommend this book - you'll enjoy many of the stories and learn more about psychology and human behaviour in an entertaining way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction..., 20 Feb 2006
Amazing life stories - they're worth reading whether or not you've got an interest in the psychology behind each story. It's really easy to read and I read the book really quickly because each chapter was so gripping. You'll bore your friends by repeating the incredible stories to them - sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. I think there's a potential film in each one of the chapters. Read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic :), 23 May 2009
This book was extremely informative... I expected it would be like a text book that would put me to sleep but it isn't! It describes the first case of OCD, MPD and a whole bunch of other acronyms. Anyone with an interest in Psychology should read this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: Classic Case Studies in Psychology (Paperback)
Whether you are a GCSE, A-Level or Degree level person, this book is brilliant and outlines some of the most famous Case Studies of all time

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book!, 4 Sep 2013
This review is from: Classic Case Studies in Psychology (Paperback)
loved reading this, was so hard to put down!

really interesting book, I did psychology in college and this really reignited my passion. Case studies were really in depth and pulled at my heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, 6 April 2010
Jen. "J." (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This book was first brought to my attention when Geoff (the author, and the head of Psychology at my old Sixth Form) carried out a General Studies lecture using some of the stories. If any other students here were forced to take GS they know how tedious and awful the lectures can be. So to have a lecture regarding a man getting a pole embedded in their head was welcomed very quickly, especially to a group of 17 year olds.
I then went to the library and loaned the book, and it is filled with stories that will make you squirm a little bit inside! Very interesting and a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for exams!, 1 Jun 2009
Fantastic book for the exams- it gives you everything that you need for to be able to critically evaluate classic studies for assignments and exams.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit basic, 10 Jan 2009
Darren Priest "Darren" (Longing to be back in Cork) - See all my reviews

Classic Case Studies in Psychology
Classic Case Studies in Psychology by Geoff Rolls (Paperback - 26 Mar 2010)
19.99