Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 May 2006
Positives:

The language in this book is everyday Hungarian - within the first few chapters, you have basic introductions, eating out, directions and shopping, all the really essential stuff - you won't starve on holiday with this book.

Useful (and interesting) sections on Hungarian culture, customs and manners. Invaluable.

The grammar is fairly well explained, although I have seen better.

Negatives:

No listening comprehensions. Reading comprehensions far too easy.

Grammar points explained one after the other, sonetimes as many as 10 in a chapter, with inadequate practice tasks.

Vocabulary thrown at the learner with little in the way of practice. To learn the vocabulary effectively, the student needs to devise his or her own activities, such as flashcards or memory games.

This isn't a bad language learning book, but it could be improved by adding a workbook for grammar and vocabulary practice. With little in the way of competition, TY Hungarian should be the first port of call for any learner of Hungarian. However, if you can afford it, Hallo, Itt Magyaroszag! by Erdos and Prileszky, used in conjunction with Hungarian Verbs and Essentials of Grammar by Torkenczy would be a much better option.
on 1 November 1998
This is definitely one of the better books in this series. It is usefully divided into two parts, the first for the casual visitor and the second for the more serious learner. The recordings are excellent and the grammar explanations are clear and approachable. The dialogues are realistic and cover useful vocabulary. Shortcomings are inherent in the nature of the Teach Yourself series. It covers a lot in a short space of time and there is not much chance to practise. You shouldn't expect to be fluent after doing this course but you will never learn a language from one source alone. However, I think that this is an excellent way to make a start in the language and an even better way to learn more communicative language for those who have previously learned from a more grammar based course. I originally learned from a traditional thorough course but when in Hungary found myself using more language that I'd picked up from the dialogues in Teach Yourself Hungarian!
on 28 January 2002
I found this book very easy to learn from. Despite the vocabulary being difficult to say the least, the book makes the grammar of the language very simple, and the user can quickly learn how to handle simple situations in Hungary. The 2nd part of the book goes into more complex issues for the more ambitious learner. I thoroughly recommend the book - it certainly has helped me communicate on my visits to the country.
on 19 September 2009
We got this book when travelling around Hungary for just over a week.

It turned out to be a lifesaver - outside of Budapest, the bit of Hungarian we could cobble together was invaluable.

The chapters are split reasonably sensibly. The book starts off with basic words like please, thank you and "tessek" (which covers several different phrases in English and is used all the time in Hungary so is a really useful word to learn!). It then goes on with chapters in how to order at restaurants, how to use public transport and so on. Later on, the chapters go on to cover more complex things like different tenses and so on.

I just concentrated on the basic chapters, and they were very useful for most situations you'd find yourself in as a tourist. The language instruction is interspersed with information about Hungarian customs, which is also really useful.

However, there's no way round it - if you want to learn even a bit of Hungarian, it does take more time and effort than other languages. I did have to set aside time to study it before we left, and took the book with us to read on train journeys.

However, we found the little that we knew took us a long way, and it certainly helped loads when understanding what was going on around us.

I was pretty pleased when people I spoke to on holiday could actually understand what I was saying, which is the acid test of any language book - alright, we were only saying simple things like "two beers please" and "two tickets to Budapest", but this book enabled us to do that.

However, we had problems when putting the book into practise was in Budapest - I don't know if everyone in Budapest is so used to foreigners speaking English all the time or our accents were unintentionally hilarious, but we got a couple of strange looks there.

Anyway, all in all it was a good buy and it really helped us with both getting a basic grasp on the language and culture of a fascinating country.
on 17 February 2014
My girlfriend is Hungarian, so I have started to learn the language.

I've tried several books and this, accompanied by the audio CD is the business.

The CD is not amazingly practical, there aren't really any breaks and if you hit play it just flies through everything, so you need to be quite hands-on with pausing and back-tracking etc.

Otherwise it is a great product, teaching you some very relevant material for first time visits, and seeing as I have been to Hungary a few times now I've found what I have learnt in here very practical and even been able to hold me own in basic conversation with my partner's parents - she is proud.

There are a few minor mistranslations in the book, but nothing that will harm your practice of the language.

Get this book if you want to learn Hungarian. As it is a phonetic language, and ANY minor mispronunciation will make you impossible to understand to a Hungarian native, the audio CD is vital - you cannot learn the language without audio aid, I promise you.
on 30 January 2003
I am a student teacher who went to Hungary to teach English for 3 months. Before I left, I used this Hungarian course but it was a disaster! In the course, vocabulary is only written down, not sounded-out by the tape, the role-plays used very traditional, dated formal language and the topic of role-plays were unrealistic(no one would ever say what those role-plays said!). This course didn't help me at all! I was very disappointed!
on 25 December 2012
I have purchased this book and cd's for my wife as a Christmas present. This is to help her learn my native Hungarian. She wants to learn the basic grammar properly. As a native speaker myself, I am not that great on explaining to foreign speakers on the past tense's etc. etc. This is merely a guide for her, while I will teach her the pronounciations.

Flipping through the book, I was very impressed with the easy layout of the grammar and the step by step it takes a non speaker through their paces. It even makes me want to learn my mother tongue all over gain.

I highly recommend Mrs.Pontifex's Hungarian course for anyone wishing to start dipping their toe's into a Non-Indo European language.
on 18 June 2012
There's a great deal to like about this book. Hungarian is notoriously difficult to learn but this book puts that to one side and makes it feel achievable. They could have made the dictionary section more complete but one book can't contain everything. What I like is that it's not just about the language but gives insights into Hungarian culture too. The whole point of learning a language is to be able to connect to the people who speak it. The people who wrote this book have done their best to help you do that.
on 22 November 2009
This is a great guide to the grammar and study of the Hungarian language. It comes with an audio CD for the exercises in each chapter.
My only criticism would be that there are not enough verbal exercises in each chapter and the book moves a little too quickly. Having said that this is the best Hungarian language book and CD that i have had. I have learnt a great deal from it.
on 21 November 2003
A really useful and informative book for learning Hungarian. Very helpful and a fun way of learning. I'd advise you to purchase the book with the recording because I feel the pronounciation can't be fully grasped without the cassette or cd available. If you buy this you will have a great deal of fun and learn a lot, pefect for a trip to Hungary, and accumulate many Hungarian friends along the way. "Az áltag magyart" will be very appreciative of your use of their fascinating, beautiful language.