Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 December 2010
This is an excellent updated edition of John Well's Gaelic Dictionary in the Teach Yourself series. After many years when Scots Gaelic scholars and students had to be content with outdated dictionaries, we now have a wide choice of reference works in modern Gaelic. The advantage of this publication, however, is that it both concise and of handy size, so that it can be carried in the pocket. It includes such technical terms as "computer", "software" and "hardware", besides all basic vocabulary required in everyday life. The Essential Gaelic Dictionary can be heartily recommended.
on 30 April 2012
I bought this dictionary specifically to try to learn how to spell words that I already understood and knew how to pronounce, so there being no pronunciation doesn't matter. I am learning Gaelic with 'Speaking our Language' using BBC iplayer and I am finding having a dictionary very useful already and it only arrived this morning.

If, like me, you are a beginner, you need to understand lenition, as the dictionary gives the unlenited form of words.
on 2 January 2013
Professionally done and very user friendly. Would recommend it for fluent speakers and learners of Scottish Gaelic. Very well done.
on 1 October 2010
As any learner of Gaelic knows, the relationship between spelling and pronunciation is unpredictable, and the pronunciation of every word has to be learned. (Foreign learners of English have exactly the same problem.) Therefore a Gaelic-English dictionary which does not show the pronunciation of any Gaelic words is pretty useless.

None of the dictionaries currently on the market, to the best of my knowledge, shows the pronunciation. The authors and publishers had the opportunity, in producing this new edition, to remedy this, but unfortunately they didn't bother. There is no indication of pronunciation whatsoever. That is why I cannot give this new edition more than one star.

On the positive side, the layout is very clear, the plural and genitive forms of nouns are given, and there are a few boxes containing cultural/contextual information. Another negative point, though, is the binding, which is not suitable for a dictionary, as I imagine the spine will quickly become creased and pages might fall out.

Having bought this book for £6.99 from Amazon, I am not complaining too much, as it is marginally better than no dictionary at all, but if I had paid the standard list price of £15.99 I would be absolutely outraged.
on 11 November 2014
I just started learning Gaelic at University and this dictionary was highly recommended by my professor. It has been infinitely useful so far, and while it is not the biggest book it hasn't let me down yet. 10/10 would recommend.
on 23 March 2015
A great help for anyone looking to find out a bit of Scottish Gaelic (I'm already studying Irish, its much easier to get the hang of Scotts Gaelic if you already know some Irish ) Helped me a great deal in my studies
on 21 April 2011
As an author/illustrator i use books like this often during the writing process for my own work. This one I found partcularly useful to translate specific lines or words into gaelic, a language i have little knowledge of. However, because the book gives no indication of what the actual gaelic sounds like,i had to use other books to know how the words were pronounced. For me thats were this book fall down.

Milky Saves Christmas
on 29 January 2014
Very good all round dictionary. Like all books like this, it is useful to have more than one dictionary by another author as there are some different words or examples given
on 22 September 2012
You are probably better off with the Kindle edition because the book in normal everyday use will not last more than 2 years. The binding is rubbish.
on 21 October 2013
Has helped me out no end with helping my 6 yr old do homework from school. Would recommend to parents with children in Gaelic education