Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 January 2012
Having decided to learn Russian, i was looking for something really basic to give me a good grounding in the language before buying a pack such as Colloquial Russian which is quite heavy on grammar from the beginning. I bought "Teach Yourself: Read and Write Russian Script" and "Teach Yourself: Getting Started in Russian Book/CD Pack" to get me started.

What i like about this book is that it doesn't try and get you to learn the whole Russian Alphabet in one go, rather it's split up into 4 chapters and each chapter includes lots of vocab comprising the letters you have just learnt. There are also lots of little exercises so you can practice what you've learnt as you go along. At the end of each chapter there is an end of unit review which summarises what you've learnt in each chapter, tips and some questions to test yourself.
As well as teaching you what the printed script looks like, there's also a few chapters on what the handwritten script looks like which is followed by a few chapters of exercises so you can practice reading and writing the script.

I'm very happy that i made the decision to purchase this book to get me started on my Russian language learning journey. The only negative thing that i could write would be that i bought the book for £11.16 and the book is only a paperback and 159 pages long which although a 5* book, seems a bit expensive but it really is worth it to to get such a good grounding in the language. I do tend to usually buy books that have good reviews and at the time of writing, this book didn't have one, however i made the decision to purchase the book after using the book preview. Take a look and see what you think. Definitely a 5* book.
I received this as a gift (it was on my wish list). The introduction section with the "if you have 5 minutes read this" or "10 minutes, read this" overview to Russian script is excellent. It's one of the best structured books on the subject and the chapter by chapter instruction, and the step by step categorisation of the alphabet and sounds is very helpful. I have learnt more with this in the space of a few readings, than I have done with other much more expensive language aids (audio CDs, software CD-ROMs, etc)
on 14 February 2015
Being a complete beginner in learning Russian I found the book very helpful to learn reading and writing Cyrillic and to get first glimpses into Russian culture. I used it in preparation for starting a proper self-study Russian programme, and after completing the book within a very short time I find reading Cyrillic almost as natural as the Latin script used in English.
on 17 May 2013
quite easy to follow, gradual intro to letters and alphabet in Russian with simple accompanying exercises. Would recommend if you have very little knowledge of subject.
on 18 March 2013
Great book. If your looking to learn Russian on a budget then don't bother getting the complete guide this one does just as well on its own!
on 25 March 2013
This book is excellent for a beginner and written in an engaging, clear style. I found it really helpful, but you'll need to invest a few hours in really getting to grips with the information and learning it.
on 22 July 2015
This is an excellent little book for busy people - I found a lot of helpful information in this that I had not received from my teacher.
on 30 September 2014
just what I was looking for to learn the script. you cant learn Russian without knowing the alphabet which I find is wonderful.
on 27 May 2014
The Russian alphabet is quite fascinating, this gives a very good, grounding in the basics, a good understanding. I like it.
on 3 April 2014
The book tincluding plenty words and and introduces their perfect script . I'm very satisfield with it THank you very much